Where did the phrase "Islam is the religion of peace and tolerance" come from?

Where did the phrase "Islam is the religion of peace and tolerance" come from?

Other urls found in this thread:

corpus.quran.com/qurandictionary.jsp?q=Hrb
corpus.quran.com/qurandictionary.jsp?q=rhb
corpus.quran.com/qurandictionary.jsp?q=rHb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't think that's a common phrase.

Pretty sure it came from George W Bush after 9/11

>Radical Muslims
Convert the world now!
>Moderate Muslims
Convert the world later

That's the only difference

How is that different than Christians?

We don't force you.

If you want to go to hell, that's your own choice.

White people putting words to something they don't understand.

I like them, but what about crusades?

Moderate muslim here.
You don't have to convert if you don't want but let us multiply in peace its your responsibility to do the same after all.

go fuck yourself

>We

Stop LARPing in serious conversations. Save it for meme threads.

Anyway, the vast majority of Muslims aren't forcing you to convert either. And plenty of Christians do. So again, not different.

It's a play on words. The Arabic word 'islam' means submission (to god). The Arabic word for peace is 'salaam'. They both derive from the same root word (see pic), hence "islam = peace".

It's a bit like saying "slaughter is laughter".

Muhammad pls go

deepest lore

This.

A lot of disingenuous Muslims tell people that the word "al-'islaam" means "peace" because "salaam" and "'islaam" share the same root (S-L-M). What they don't tell you is that al-'islaam is the verbal noun of the form-IV verb 'aslama, which literally means "to surrender".

They do share the same root, and it does mean surrender, or submission, which is related to concepts of peace.

It's just the way Arabic works.

Basically every Arabic word with S-L-M in that order is something to do with peace or backing down or serenity or surrendering etc, which changes by switching in different vowels.

The whites will soon become minority, while Islamic communities will continue to grow, eventually voting in Sharia law (b/c their the majority). Let us stand together and make America great again

That sure is a convincing argument

But Jesus had clearly authorised forcible conversions (Luke 14:23)

This.

Sufi and legalist Sunni Muslims in the past have conceived of the perfect Islamic religion as one of peace with no unjust violence or injustice either spiritually or as a society, but the modern concept of Religion of Peace and Moderate Muslim are terms first used by the George W. Bush administration as part of a neoconservative ideological effort to define model allies and citizens in its new geopolitical order of the Middle East. Attempts to define what these mean have been so inclusive and inconclusive as to place Muslims of completely different cultures and ideologies together. The only common criteria seems to be a Muslim who follows a politically inert or Islam, or just falls in line with Washington's interest.

The Moderate Muslims, if they convert you later, are obviously not forcing you either.

In any case is wrong. Radical Muslims, I assume meaning those who are extreme in either their religious or political doctrine, are not interested in converting the world now and have been preoccupied with internal revolution and/or purification within the Muslim world. Moderates, which I assume to mean either Western, liberal influenced Muslims or just regional U.S. allies, are barely proselytizing and focused solely on advancing a political or social agenda usually involving people who are already Muslim.

Defensive war

>But Jesus had clearly authorised forcible conversions (Luke 14:23)
He didn't though. "Compel" doesn't mean force

holds up spork

Taqiyya

>They do share the same root, and it does mean surrender, or submission, which is related to concepts of peace.
I'm not arguing that. However, when the word is fleshed out with vowels, the meanings can change drastically.

For example
terrorist = irhaabi
monk = raahib

Both share the same root (R-H-B), and you can sort of see the theoretical concept of "terror/awe" behind both words.

Well, it was understood by the majority of Christians since the 4th centurey until the late second millennium as a authorisation of forced conversions.

Taqqya

Irhaabi is derived from harb, whose root is H-R-B alluding to sword, while R-H-B is a different root meaning desert expanse.

Taqiyya is mostly used by Shias. Sunnis are allowed to use it only under extreme circumstances.

>Irhaabi is derived from harb, whose root is H-R-B alluding to sword,
Incorrect. You're switching around the order of the roots, something that you do not do in Arabic. Also, I believe you're confusing ح for ه

>while R-H-B is a different root meaning desert expanse.
Incorrect.

From Hans-Wehr p. 420
>رهب rahiba
>to be frightened, be afraid; to fear, dread

irhaabi is also listed under that verb on the same page.

No.

corpus.quran.com/qurandictionary.jsp?q=Hrb
vs
corpus.quran.com/qurandictionary.jsp?q=rhb

One means fear (of God), which is fitting for monks, while the other is clearly war.

And you're right, my head defaulted to ح instead of ه just then, but it still supports what I'm saying: these are all different root words.
corpus.quran.com/qurandictionary.jsp?q=rHb

>corpus.quran.com/qurandictionary.jsp?q=Hrb

Yup. You switched the order of the root AND used the pharyngeal 'h' instead of the glottal 'h'.

root: ر ه ب
terrorist: ارهابي
monk: راهب

Are you South Asian?

See:
That's how the words are actually spelled. They have the same root.

It's irrelevant.
It's a nice wordplay, but something having the same root doesn't mean that much.

Are you saying terrorist is not derived from Hrb? You have me there, since I only come across it verbally so that was my assumption, but it sounds like irhaabi is a clumsy neologism - obvious I suppose - of fear (of God) used in a new context.

Then again is right, this isn't a very good example of suggesting meanings can change drastically because we're discussing Classical Arabic roots of S-L-M rather than modern neologisms trying to translate a foreign concept. Even then, the example doesn't show a drastic change in meaning if broken down into terrirost: one who instills fear and monk, one who in fear of God. We get the same problem when trying to translate between peace and submission, which are words that can be stretched in English to be completely different things than their close meaning in Arabic.