What does Veeky Forums think of Scotland, what is the impact of this country on the modern world?

What does Veeky Forums think of Scotland, what is the impact of this country on the modern world?

Unicorns

pathetic really, from their failed colonial effort to the recent independence referendum

I think it's fitting that they use imaginary animals to represent an imaginary country.

Delete. We made the world.

A great nation of writers, soldiers and inventors that seems eternally doomed to play second banana to its neighbours for all time.

I wrote my thesis on early modern Scottish linguistics so I guess if anyone itt wants to know anything about that then ask away

objectively one of the most genetically successful european peoples on the planet. often overlooked but pretty huge. ireland and germany are on par.

Is it just North England?

Do you consider Scots a language or a dialect?

ye auld wewuzing
we can agree they are OK but suck at statehood

Not that faggot but the Scots Leid is a language as old as English. It has been described as a "dialect of English" but this is unfair, at best, both Modern English and Scots are dialects of "Anglisc".

Alone they were pretty irrelevant, but as part of Britain they more than pulled their own weight, contributing hugely to the modern world in all manner of fields.

are lowland scots purely germanic or a mix of both celtic and germanic? cause I know the highlanders are celtic

That's a surprisingly divisive topic actually. I'd personally consider it a language in its own right but a lot of my colleagues would disagree. If Swedish, Danish and Norwegian are all considered different languages there's no reason Scots and English shouldn't be.

Looking at it historically nobody apart from politically motivated English writers considered it to be the same language as English until the late 17th century, and that trend would sort of reverse into the tail end of the 18th.

Most people from the French to the Irish to the Dutch and the Italians considered them to be separate languages. It was really only the English who didn't, historically speaking.

There's a very interesting case in the 17th century where a Scot was arrested and tried in England. He tried to invoke the legal right to have half the jury made up up people who spoke his own language, this being Scots, but the local official was eager for a speedy conviction, and so declared that Scots and English were the same language so they wouldn't have to find Scottish jurors. Except when the trial actually happened, nobody in the court could understand the defendant.

>Except when the trial actually happened, nobody in the court could understand the defendant.

what happened to him?

Celtic is a bit too broad since it breaks down further into Brythonic and Goidelic, which break into Welsh, Breton, Cornish, and Irish, Manx, & Scottish respectively.
The highlands are Gaelic, but the lowlands where a Brythonic/Germanic/Gaelic mix of shit.

No population in the British Isles is purely Germanic, except maybe Orcadians and Shetlanders. The Lowlanders are mostly Brythonic Celts with some admixture from Saxons, Flemings, Norwegians, Danes, the Dutch and the French. Immigration was heavily encouraged to Scotland in the 12th and 13th centuries to take advantage of their social and economic reforms

was the genetic diversity a factor to why the lowlands were superior to the highlands?

If I remember right he was acquitted, so a relatively happy ending

We used to consider ourselves North British desu.

Not really knowledgeable on Scots, but is it basically old English without Norman influence?

Unless he was actually guilty.

You could've said that about it 300 years ago but it's been very Anglicised since then. It's English with less of a Norman influence but it's not absent entirely.

lol Germans aren't even purely Germanic.
"Pure" and "Germanic" are not compatible terms.

single-handily saved the British monarchy from it self. take that as you will.

Genetically there's barely any difference. The reason the lowlands dominate Scotland is because that's where all the people and industry are.

>[Scotland] single-handily saved the British monarchy from it self

That's a funny way to spell "Holland".

Only decent part of the UK desu.

Not even Scottish people believe this.

>Not even Scottish people believe this.

KYS IRL yourself in real life.

I'm Scottish and this land is the only part of the UK that doesn't need nuked.

Maybe except Wales, they never did anything to anyone, maybe they don't have to die.

More like english is a dialect of old english, danish, german and french lol

James VI was a batty boy desu

You're a battyboy

Scotland is a cancer and we need to be wiped out

>Love, a Scot

From what I've seen of Scotland from afar all the good Scots left Scotland. The dregs seem to have stayed on. My grandpa couldn't leave Glasgow fast enough. I think diaspora Scots are healthier and smarter too.

Lisa, is that you?

'Scotland is only fit for the slaves that sold it.'
- Andrew Fletcher

Are Scottish fowk white?

>Leave Scotland to study abroad
>Brexit fucks the £

ENGLAND PROMISED IF I VOTED NO WE'D STAY IN THE EU REEEEEEEEEEE

PS: What's your favourite Scottish city and why is it Edinburgh?

t. SNP representative

Lets remember the good times, lads.

I'll miss the union flag.

Scotland today is nothing more than the other half of england. You guys don't even try to speak Gaelic.

>tfw Scots gaelic will die out within your lifetime

Trainspotting.

Inverness

Gaelic is a foreign language.
Good, it sounds like shit and only inbred left footers use it.

Perth is the best. Although the rural areas are where Scotland really shines.

Glasgow is a shithole and Edinburgh is only good for shopping and dining.

I think it sounds nice.

Imagine being such a dumb cuck that you think Glasgow is shit and Edinburgh is better.

Scotland is an amusing meme

thrilled they exist, wouldn't have anything to laugh at otherwise

>pictland
>being relevant in anything but the undoing or growth of the popularity of an English king
Daily reminder Charles identified as English

>tfw you hand out baronies to all the altar boys you fuck, whilst being the de facto head of the protestant faith, whilst your son grows up to be a stutter who like royal pomp but only when the manual says it is needed

>tims

I'm Irish but my gran was Scottish. I think Scotland is pretty cool. Scots are like our brothers, even if we colonised and fought each other plenty of times

>our brothers
No you're both de Jure citizens of the British crown