ITT: Christian fanboys argue among each other for more than 2000 years trying to rationalize this BLATANT plot-hole

ITT: Christian fanboys argue among each other for more than 2000 years trying to rationalize this BLATANT plot-hole.

Other urls found in this thread:

theopedia.com/modalism
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>another "i'm too dumb to understand trinity" thread

There's like 10 plotholes on the first page of the bible. Who the fuck cares.

So, when the heck did the Catholic-Orthodox split happen, and why?

Also, what's the difference?

lol ironically for 2000 years the trinity has been accepted almost universally by everyone accept nu-atheists who are amongst the most retarded religious groups of the world.

try to explain the trinity I guarantee it'll be heresy

Go ahead and explain then

It's called suspension of disbelief

1054. There were minor quibbles about stuff like the filioque and what "original sin" actually means, but in the end it was just a disagreement over the leadership. The empire split didn't help.
>Catholics: pope
>Orthodox: no pope, just individual patriarchs

Anyway after that they still basically believed the same things, the Catholics just got a little more academic and less mystical. They started going off the rails in the 1800s though. Orthodox mostly stayed the same since 1054, the most significant change being the fall of Constantinople and subsequent recentering of Orthodox Christianity to Russia. And after that the USSR. Orthodoxy never had an Aquinas moment because they just weren't as centralized and organized as Catholics were, so theological movements weren't really codified the way the Catholics could.

Basically a Catholic from 1054 would probably be a bit confused by stuff a modern Catholic would say, but a modern Orthodox scholar wouldn't really find anything to argue about with one from 1054.

I would add to that, that it's not about theology. It never was about theology. "Theological problems" (which were bascilly lingustical ones) were added later to justify schism. That's why modern schism is seventh one while 1054 one was fifth.
Also, Catholic Scholar from 1054 would understand perefctlly Catholic theology from XXI century (since anything that "changed" is that St. Thomas and Council of Trent and Vatican I cleared things out). He may have argue about some Marian Dogmas though. And would declare that New Mass suck but hey, anyone in Church does that.

Wrong, because it's not red, blue and green at the same time

You can almost compare it to a tree.

It has leafs, a bark and roots. All different but together they form a tree.

>inb4 but in biology class I learned that plant cells are...
Yeah yeah, its a metaphore.

Partialism

Arius was right

Christianity is a retcon of a retcon of a retcon of a retcon.

nothing to see here.

That's heresy, onii-chan

The best analogy is that they puzzled something together using a manual(the bible) but they only managed to make a frame and there are no further instructions in the bible so they say 'fuck it, this is it'

Its another thread by the psychic vampire whom ignores arguments and starts 20 hourly topics.

Only Arius is backed by scripture. The reason the trinity was made was because those were the big three objects of worship so they said "you're all right but it's three aspects of one god" to unite Christianity rather than caring about scripture or what it said. Arius said "but Jesus says he is different and to even be the coming messiah he has to be different", but if they went with that idea, all the people who wanted to worship Jesus, the holy spirit, etc., would splinter off and not be one thing.

The trinity was just made to pander to people, but if you read the Bible only the non-trinitarian faiths make any remote sense. But people really wanna worship Jesus and still pretend they worship god.

The fact that there is orthodoxy and heresy automatically implies there is a well thought out and coherent logic behind the Trinity. It simply requires diligent study to understand rather than reading some some wikipedia pages and calling oneself an expert.

Why should i venerate Jesus? He died to remove my sin? What if i refuse to acknowledge that i have "sinned"? What then? Can christians give me any good reason for why i should treat Jesus as a god, without appealing to empathy or "original sin"? Why shouldn't i worship a stronger god like Zeus for example.

It just seems to me that, in order for me to accept that i need Jesus in my life, i must first accept that i have sinned, and as such i have to first lower myself down to a degraded level, to first in a way affirm that i am lacking in some regard, before i can realize that i "need" Jesus. For why should i mend a net that isn't torn so to speak?
If a native tribesman does not feel a need to know Jesus, and a missionary arrives to tell him that he does, hasn't the missionary simply poisoned the tribesman so that he may sell him the antidote?
Christians please reply.

>The fact that there is orthodoxy and heresy automatically implies there is a well thought out and coherent logic behind the Trinity.
There isn't and virtually every church on Earth that adheres to a concept of "heresy" admits that there isn't.

The "orthodoxy" is that it's a mystery incomprehensible to human minds.

>Arius was right
>Implying the death of some mere glorified prophet is capable of saving all mankind from their sins.

Why isn't it?

>There isn't
Except there clearly is. Yes, there are some aspects which are indeed unknowable, but if all of it was unknowable then Christianity would never have come to understand the Trinity as is in the first place, as it, quite literally, is never mentioned once in the Bible.

I'm the second guy you quoted. I'm not Christian or saying Christianity is right. I am simply saying that Arius and non-trinitarian doctrines are the only ones that even sort of make sense within the confines of Christianity and the ideas laid out within it.

But from a historical perspective I see why they just said fuck it and made everyone right and tried to please everyone with the trinity, but then it makes a buttfuckingly retarded concept not backed up by their own holy book even remotely without some major ass pulling.

>Except there clearly is
Then explain it.

I guarantee any explanation you could give beyond "It's a mystery" is heresy.

> Christianity would never have come to understand the Trinity as is in the first place
Non-heretical Christians don't understand the trinity nor do they claim to.

>quite literally, is never mentioned once in the Bible.
You're right. It isn't, the trinity is made up to reconcile monotheism with the presence of more than one god-like entity (both of which are in the bible). This is why it's problematic, because the proposed solution makes absolutely no sense.

>as it, quite literally, is never mentioned once in the Bible
That's cause it's pagan

The sins of Man act as a debt towards God. Debt which must be repayed in full. To fulfill this debt, one must either recompensate God or undergo punishment. Because what is already owed and expected of us is our Whole and Full being, there is nothing mere creation can do to repay the debt of Sin. Only something higher than creation can repay the debt, and there is nothing higher than creation except the Lord himself. Thus, the Lord became Flesh, and underwent punishment for all man for all time.

>Go ahead and explain then
What is there to explain? The image clearly states it.
The creator, Jesus, and the holy ghost are all one part of the same entity, but are separate from each other as well.

Bacon, lettuce and tomato are all part of a BLT, but they are all separate ingredients.

Just face it, your a retard if you can't understand it. I don't care that you're atheist, you're literally just retarded if you can't figure this out.

>Only something higher than creation can repay the debt
A demigod would also fulfil this criteria.

>Bacon, lettuce and tomato are all part of a BLT, but they are all separate ingredients.
That's heresy.

The point of the trinity isn't that god is 33% the son, 33% the father and 33% holy ghost. It's that all three of those entities are both totally god, but not any of each other.

e.g Sean Connery is James Bond, Roger Moore is James Bond, but Sean Connery is not Roger Moore.

The problem with that example though is you can't apply it to the trinity as "god" isn't a role that's played by all three members. Rather god is an entity in itself.

>Then explain it.
There are Three Persons, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Each is without beginning and each is without end. All, however, hold the same essence as one another, the divine essence of God.

>Non-heretical Christians don't understand the trinity nor do they claim to.
If nothing was understood, then the relationship among the Trinity would not even exist.

>You're right. It isn't, the trinity is made up to reconcile monotheism with the presence of more than one god-like entity (both of which are in the bible). This is why it's problematic, because the proposed solution makes absolutely no sense.

I mispoke. The word Trinity is never mentioned in the Bible.

Matthew 28:19 is the main Scriptural Basis of the Trinity.

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

A demigod is still created you turbo nigger. And this isn't even Arianism, that is completely different heresy.

>There are Three Persons, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Each is without beginning and each is without end. All, however, hold the same essence as one another, the divine essence of God.
Is there only one god though?

>If nothing was understood, then the relationship among the Trinity would not even exist.
I'm not sure how you come to this conclusion. There are a lot of ways to come to partial conclusion but not have enough information to complete it. Which seems to be what has happened with the trinity.

There's an apparent contradiction in the bible between monotheism and the presence of three distinct divine entities. And so the trinity is supposed to be a solution to this. The problem is it's an incomplete solution, and most churches acknowledge that it's an incomplete solution.

>The word Trinity is never mentioned in the Bible.
And where were you going with this nifty fact?

Your head is not your hands is not your feet but all are you.

>A demigod is still created you turbo nigger.
Yeah but he's also half-god therefore better than the rest of creation put together since god's glory is infinite.

That's partialism, Patrick.

>We're totally monotheistic guys
>We worship one God, please believe us

>Is there only one god though?
Logically speaking, there is either one Essence with the qualities of God, or none, as those those qualities include Omnipotence. Equality between omnipotent forces implies that there is something which they do not command which contradicts the premise of omnipotence.

> There are a lot of ways to come to partial conclusion
Which is my entire point. Everything isn't just "lol its a mystery ain't gotta explain shit."

>And where were you going with this nifty fact?
The Word Trinity is used to describe the relationship among the Three Divine Persons of the Godhead. The relationship of the Godhead is not explicitly dealt with in the Bible, is where I was going with that.

>there are people who think this is three kids

Let me be more specific with that question and add a follow up question.
Is there exactly one indivisible god?
Are all three members of the trinity fully god?

>Which is my entire point.
And my point is that it's still incomplete. Which means that the areas that aren't explained (or are unexplainable) are a mystery. This is not controversial, basically every church on the planet agrees with this, it is a mystery. This specific thing is almost universally acknowledged as a mystery, except by heretics.

That's super-heretical.

>Is there exactly one indivisible god?
>Are all three members of the trinity fully god?
Yes, because the previous logic still holds. There is either One God or none.

>Has the full attributes of God
>Isn't actually fully God
This is a contradiction of logic. Demigods have partial characteristics of "divinity." They have higher honors than men, but still fall short of full divinity, meaning they are still finite in their qualities.

muh lawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwjik

WE WUZ VIKAAAAAAAAAAAAANGS N SHIEEEEEEEEET

It makes sense, you dumbfuck

Would a better example be an actor who plays three roles who are completely separate whole characters, who aren't each other but are completely that actor?

I can't find an obvious flaw in that analogy, besides that the characters are 'real' in a very different way than the actor, whereas each part of the Trinity is as real as the rest, and as real as the whole.

To add: God's 'persons' originates from the word persona, which is a mask used in theater.

So yes, the analogy of an actor's various characters is what was meant by the term, but that is still flawed.

The actor himself would have to be a character of some larger text for his personas to be 'as real' as him.

I don't really know the implications of this, but it is irrelevant because it was merely an analogy.

The actor would have to be three characters at the same time. Otherwise it would be modalism.

Congratulations, you've finally realized you cannot grasp omnipotence omnipotent grasp.

But that's okay, because you're just animated inanimate matter randomly assembling itself, the conscience living product of unconscious dead matter and fighting concepts of God matters because nothing matters and dead will create you uncreated dead living

yep it always boils down to something like that
>yeah it actually doesn't make any sense and nobody can ever actually understand it so you can't argue against it so it's true hahaha checkmate

Arius didn't believe the Holy Spirit is a force, that's a unique JW thing

What you're experiencing is pride. It can be a positive force or a vice. Right now it is a vice because it is blinding you (or protecting you) from uncomfortable ideas. The uncomfortable idea in this case is guilt.

Yep, only the semantics ever change.
>Our physical existence is the random product of nature.
>These are the physical laws, proven and testable! W-we can't prove why they exist.
>But it's based on this really weird random thing that we can't understand or explain. We knowingly know the unknown but it's random.
>Subjective metrics objectively describe the subjective reality of our universe!

HAHA FAGS I WIN FOR MY DEEPER UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT I CAN'T EXPLAIN AND IT'S RANDOM BECAUSE I KNOW I DON'T KNOW.

I hate bible thumpers. You can say this but then say the Bible isn't blinding you from the uncomfortable truth that there is no heaven.

h2o is god?

It actually doesn't though and virtually every theologian since forever has acknowledged that yes, it's a mystery.

People on Veeky Forums that claim to understand the trinity despite it stumping churches worldwide since the time of Christ are basically the Emperors New Clothes IRL.

Ahhh the old pop the Father in the freezer and you get the Holy Spirit routine.

The reason I love these threads is because it is like playing heresy bingo. I've just crossed off Modalist Heresy, kek.

How can the Father be God, if he is a separate entity ?

How can a plurality of being claim the same role ?

According to Christian doctrine, what you're implying is Modalism aka an Heresy

Can you explain? I am not a Christian I was just posting a common response to see what the counterargument would be.

So you are saying that water can be steam, liquid and ice at the same time or that Christians believe in three Gods who have the same substance?

The same water cannot be liquid, ice and steam at the same time, all the time.

theopedia.com/modalism

"They deny the Trinity, teach that the name of God is Jesus... modalist churches often accuse Trinitarians of teaching three gods. This is not what the Trinity is. The correct teaching of the Trinity is one God in three eternal coexistent persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."

This is retarded and actually makes no sense.

It isn't.
You have a brain, hands and a heart, yet you are ONE person.

God was father, son then came the spirit. Yet in his true nature he is outside of time. So he is all of this at the same time and it ain't modalism (which is a time based theory). For god yesterday, now, future, they all are THIS moment. An eternal now.

>You have a brain, hands and a heart, yet you are ONE person.

God is three persons, not part of one person, Jesus is God not his toe or his heart or his brain or his hands. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are not parts of God.

euphoric

*handles snake*

not sure if calling him evangelical, australian or both

I'm happy with both.

God repayed Humanities debt to God?

Why was blood sacrifice necessary, if God could simply forgive men all their sins? Why would God have to repay someone's debt to himself? Is there a rulebook that God has to follow?

Its the system that God set up to prove his love for humanity, it makes for brilliant poetry and literature but it gets kind of arbitrary after that

I don't understand what you are not understanding. Obviously God doesn't have the power to forgive sins without sacrificing himself to himself in a blood magic ritual.

It's not like he is omnipotent or anything.

"Debt" is just a metaphor that refers to the punishment we deserve for sin. A modern equivalent would be that He payed the price.

This.

That is why Christians view the crucifixion as a metaphor rather than something that actually happened.

>The bible is true!
A true con by followers of the demiurge.

Write text where yhvh is a god no less and just and good at it.
>it's divinely inspired

Write text where the bullshit of yhvh is disclosed and where reason, well thought out ideas and truth abound.
>H-he is making it up.

Same mythos

>accepted

If by accepted you mean non-trinitarians were persecuted and murdered sure.

>be antrinitarian heretic
>chimp out and try to murder actual Christians
>wtf why are they killing me

Is Mary as important to the Orthodoxs as she is to the Catholics?

Yes it can, at the supercritical point the system is both vapor, ice and a liquid. And no, to describe the system at point stages that evolve is an incomplete description

No, God is not one at any time, he is them at any time.

The actor analogy works much better, and was the original analogy. An actor is his characters at the same time, the only issue is that the characters are not 'real' in the same way as the actor. Still, that's better than modalism.
It does make sense, that's why it was proposed.
>applying lawwwwwwwwwwjik to an incomprehensible being
He paid the price through giving the last valid sacrifice.
>le science
just admit your fedora fedora *tip tip* analogy is ineffective, as is every analogy.

It's not a plothole at all, really. If anything its contradictory nature only serves to perfect the trinity in a softer narrative than what you're obtusely trying to keep it at.
Keep in mind, we humans are not all about pure reason and order. God doesn't need to be either.
Order is found in the end, since all things will find a direction by virtue of so being His will.

ITT: "How can you not understand? It is so obvious! [insert partialism/modalism here]"
I hope you people are not Catholic, if so then go study your fucking theology before posting anything here.

People don't want to understand, that's all.

Father is God.
Son is God.
Spirit is God.
There is one God.

Get used to not being the highest dimensional being in existence, and learn some humility.

Probably. Islam too. The smallest role Mary plays is in the actual bible.

No, that would be muslims again.

God has to be true to his own nature, yes. And the way things are, without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins.

That doesn't mean God had to manifest as a human being and shed his blood for the remission of humanity's sins.

He could have just let us all go to hell to pay for our own sins, and that would have been holy, just and righteous.

One day you will really regret posting that.

:P

When the heck did the Bishop of Rome start being called the Pope?

I'm sorry you feel this way, user.
If i can put it simply, god is the creator, the holy spirit is the manifestation of god in ourselves and the son is the link between us and god.
doggo bless user

It exists as a super position of possible states. The "ending" is red, green, and blue at all times.

It's a mystery. Why can't you be content with that? It gives it mysticism and an unanswerable question. Having perfect knowledge is for plebs.

>Christian fanboys
And never a mention of daughter, mother or Lucy.
They are inadequate, insecure, incapable people who need someone to save them. They lose unless they can mature and be responsible for saving themselves. It is a drug as any other.