"Hello... and welcome to the History of Rome"

>"Hello... and welcome to the History of Rome"

Other urls found in this thread:

themodernhermeticist.com/encyclopedia-hermetica-a-big-history/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Mike's a good guy, he made me interested in history.

im listening to this right now
is it legit?

Yeah, it's a great introductory work.

Hello comfy based man of learning, what will we be listening to today.

Hi this is Scott.

If you're a fan of the Ancient World, please help us get the word out . . .

*garage band guitar sample detensifies*

Is this guy Pepe worthy? I.e., does he currently have, or is he qualified to receive in future, his own personal Pepe caricature?

THIS EDITION OF HISTORY OF ROME IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY AUDIBLE.COM

He looks exactly how I pictured him.

>"This week I recommend... umm.... well they don't really have any more Roman themed books. Or history ones. But I think this mystery looks good. Yeah. Audible dot com. Tell them who sent you."

I found out through Twitter that I disagree with his politics, but Mike is based anyway. I need to catch up on revolutions. Do we know which one he's doing after Venezuela/Spanish America?

Goddamn it why did you say that now I've seen his twitter too. I mean I kind of assume this shit with intellectual types but still I prefer blissful ignorance

Does anybody have a link to the paywalled episodes of the History of Byzantine by some chance? I was recommended it as a worthy sequel to the History of Rome, and then suddenly Episode 28 right in the middle of the story of Justinian was paywalled off.

Stop being a fucking jew

It's annoying but I've learned at this point to just stay away from the social media presence of anyone who produces anything I'd like. At least Mike keeps his politics out of his product though and presents things fairly objectively unlike most people who sperg out about politics on twitter and then have to bleed it into their professional work as well.

I'm happy to donate one off, but I'm not going to create an account on his shitty insecure website to pay for random pay walled episodes.

Why does it matter what anyone's politics are if it doesn't affect their work? Intellectuals have tended to lean left for hundreds of years anyway.

History of the Crusades was the same way. She made a giant Facebook walltext post about how "EVIL DRUMPF AND BANNON WANT TO START ANOTHER CRUSADE AGAINST THE POOR MUSLIMS! NEVER AGAIN"
Fucking dropped.

>Do we know which one he's doing after Venezuela/Spanish America?
I thought it was the the revolutions of 1848

I just took a glance, all I really see is that he's upset with the current administration's approach to healthcare and the poor, which is fine. It's a world away from "sharia law is actually pro feminist". No need to get triggered.

Doo Doo dee Doo dah dee dah Doo dah dee Doo dah dah dee doo. . . .

He's doing the Bourbon Restoration/July Monarchy as a 6 episode series before 1848. Just started this week actually with the reign of Louis XVIII. No clue what he's doing after 1848 though.

He's said in an old AMA (like when he first started the podcast) that he wanted to do the Chinese (I assume everything with the end of the Qing up through the civil war?), Russian and Mexican revolutions. I can't think of any other ones he'd be missing aside from the Meiji Restoration, maybe everything concerning the downfall of the Ottoman Empire and the whole Irish independence thing.

guy looks like fucking Titus Pullo in this picture, holy shit

You forgot Iranian.

> he wanted to do the Chinese (I assume everything with the end of the Qing up through the civil war?), Russian and Mexican revolutions
Holy crap, he will be an old man when he finishes all of this shit

Hungary 1956, Prague Spring 1968, 1989 events were also borderline revolutions.

um, it's clear as soon as he married that woman the podcast started focusing on ancient women more, and his podcast got more "liberal" like it was made so even mommy could find something interresting about it.

there are so many of these 'borderline' revoluitions/coup/uprisings, starting from Mussolini march on Rome or Hitler's take over to the Ukranian Maidan, so it is impossible to cover them all, I think he will stick to major ones.

You look like a lying 2 faced lawyer or asshole accountant

Halfway during the podcast he started looking at daily life a lot more aswell. I don't think it's his politics.

>I'm Indy Neidell and this... is the great war

>Today's show is brought to you by Audible. Visit Audible dot com slash hardcore history for your free audiobook download.

15 dollars so far to listen to the history of byzantium, no doubt more pay walls incoming as the series progresses.

I heard the 13 byzantine rulers one is good, probably going to shift to that one instead.

I seriously don't understand why he doesn't just make the narrative episodes free and put bonus stuff behind a pay wall. Mike did more History of Rome episodes focused on I believe the ancient historians and the historiography of Rome that you could get through his fund drive. Paying extra for something like that is fine.

Really just do a Patreon and be done with it.

Just.. just imagine being a fly on that wall.

And that's the fly in the ointment

>History of the Crusades
I can't help but get the feeling that she's anti-Catholic. I enjoyed the Crusade against the Cathars anyways, but she really needs to redo the early episodes at some point, given that the First Crusade is the one most people want to hear about.

Her being a shitlib is unsurprising though. History as a field leans to the left a lot, and women lean left already.

I mean, in History of Byzantium Robin made an appeal for Syrian refugees based on Leo III (IIRC) being a good emperor and from Syria, but the work is still quite good anyways. Just comes with the territory at this point.

Ive been listening to his stuff on my long car rides and im through about 40 episodes so far.
Its good, but he has a fair amount of errors in his work. Theyre not podcast breaking and most are slip ups but its something to be aware of.
Also some of his pronunciation is god awful. Some of it is understandable since its anglicized and accepted by some, but some of the names he just completely butchers.

He talks about a lot those errors in later episodes as his commenters let him know about them.

Some of them he corrects but most go unnoticed.
Like I said theyre usually minor but theyre something to be aware of when listening.
Things like he says that the Carthaginians held East Sicily when he means West Sicily, or that the pirates who betrayed Spartacus were Sicilian instead of Cilician.
Usually not huge errors but they are there and are something to be aware of.

Got a download link for the paywall episodes?

I'm happy to donate, but I'm not enthusiastic about creating an account on his amateur site just to buy episodes.

Is this one of the newer episodes? I dropped it when I saw one of the Irene episodes paywalled (and Irene was one of the main things of Byzantine history I was looking forward to) and I don't remember any of that. That's actually pretty pathetic. I don't give a fuck about whatever dumb political beliefs you have, just keep that shit out of your fucking history podcast that's all I ask; even if you agree with me politically I don't want to hear it.

whats his name again?

>Also some of his pronunciation is god awful.
I didn't listen to it yet, but this bothers me so much about anglophone media pertaining Rome.

>Has a BA in polisci
>Wants to lecture me on roman history

IIRC he was asking people to donate to some generic charity like the red cross or whatever. Like I said, it's the only time politics have ever entered into the whole thing.

I don't get all of the people who can't deal with having a few episodes paywalled. I've just listened to the rest of them and it's never really bothered me.

A missing episode right in the middle of the narrative about Justinian I trying to pick up the pieces is pretty significant.

>Hungary 1956, Prague Spring 1968, 1989 events were also borderline revolutions.

Wrong. You can't have a 'revolution' to return back to capitalism; you can only be fooled by reactionaries.

Yeah, it's not like it's nothing episodes. It'd be like listening to History of Rome and then the episode covering the assassination of Caesar is paywalled. It's a pretty big thing.

One fucking thing. One fucking thing I like in this world I enjoy and Veeky Forums has to ruin it

Fuck you Veeky Forums

Holy shit are you literally incapable of enjoying anything if whoever made it disagrees with your special brand of conservatism? Even if their views are not promoted in their work in any way? Seems like the horseshoe theory applies to cuckery too because you're behaving as much of an oversensitive snowflake as any leftist maniac.

If you knew a bit about Roman History before listening to his show, which I loved, he glosses over a ton of economic/centralization issues within the empire. From what he omits it really shows his biases, but I think it's still great for getting into the Romans, I just wouldn't recommend debating any nuances from the info you picked up from the show. His interpretation of the collapse for instance is very shallow, but that's inevitable since it's one the most written and argued about events in the history of politics.

Carlin is entertainment, this guy is education. Which is annoying in a way, because you have to make time for Revolutions and focus on it whereas you can just stick on Hardcore History as you're lying in bed or whatever.

Hardcore history isn't all just entertainment though, I learned a descent amount about WW1 from that series.

>Good day, one and all and welcome to another installment of Encyclopedia Hermetica: A Big History."

(am I the only one here that knows it?)

>I learned a Descent

>DESCENT

>DESCENT

If your interested in a very detailed history of the collapse that focus on economics, I'd recommend the Fall of Rome podcast. Its fairly new, but its pretty good.

Last week, we talked about my dick.
This week, my balls.

Possibly. What's it about?

Who is this man and what/where is a good introduction to his content?

Based Mike. I only listened to "The History of Rome" and finished it. I think his best episodes are the ones that talk about the late republic and early empire.

Haven't listened to his revolutions podcasts though

>good introduction to his content
>An introduction to the introductory work
We're going deeper

Its good, he only paywalls meme stories which is abit meh

The later ones maybe, but the very first paywall episode is about Justinian and Theodora trying to rebuild after the plague wrecks everything, which is pretty crucial to the narrative

>Intellectuals have tended to lean left for hundreds of years
Lol no

But he's right. There were some who were right wing, but even then they were nothing like you see today. Today's right wing are basically SJWs with a different group of people they target, nationalistic, etc. And while nationalism isn't bad it's certainly outlived its usefulness. Now it has become useless fucks clinging to the old and holding back progress. Not only because they want to go backwards, but because this takes them away from trying to improve society rather than just bitching online and checking out. On top of usually being dumb and useless, so they parade around shit other people did to feel proud of themselves as they claim a connection to it by no merit of their own and feel no need to improve because they were kangz.

And that isn't how an intellectual acts. You see the same shit on the left, but historically the left was more open to new ideas, hence why ideas flourished and progressed. Granted that openness bit them on the ass later, but being overly closed minded also shuts down a lot of shit that is good. A wise person tries to strike a balance.

>Fall of Rome
thanks for the rec

A history podcast by a canadian historian guy, following a linear history, from the dawn of civilization, giving a big deal to religions and spirituality.
I highly recommend his channel.

themodernhermeticist.com/encyclopedia-hermetica-a-big-history/

Yeah, the episodes about the Republic and the founding of Rome were so fucking comfy.

It got a little crazy and dry after the republic though, especially during times like the Year of the Four Emperors, but it's hard to condense that information so I don't hold it against him.

Super legit

Honestly just pay for the subscription, its only like $50 a year and he does a ton of work for the show. Additionally the Byzantine Stories episodes (especially the most recent ones about Procopious) are very good.

It's pretty annoying that he puts episodes of the main show behind a paywall, but I'm in too deep at this point so I pay up.

I have listened to the History of Rome twice. Many of the place names I had never heard before and Mike's podcast was the first time I'd heard them spoken.

What are some examples of pronunciations he messes up?

It's Mike Duncan, the maker of The History of Rome podcast, the best podcast in all history, maybe ever

Are you fucking blind?

>I hate to be doing this again, but I'll be taking the next 8 weeks off to play boggle with Mrs. History of Rome's parents. Not to worry. I plan to release episodes at a normal rate sometime within the next decade.

Do you think you could find it in your heart to share at least just episode 28? I'm really, really apprehensive about creating an account on his site which doesn't even use HTTPS the rest of it must be a security nightmare.

Edutainment then.

>Welcome back to the story of history's most AWEsome epic

>TFW I never had to deal with the breaks

Feels nice being late to the party.

He looks like a retarded Russell Crowe.

And Revolutions?

Are there any history podcasts that aren't done by amateurs? I'm in my PhD now, and whenever someone like Dan Carlin gets close to my area of expertise, he gets shit irrevocably wrong sometimes. So it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Get over yourself and make your own podcast then Dr. Faggot

Him, Dan Carlin and the History of Byzantium guy make my 40 minutes of commuting by public transport every day bearable.

Halfway through rome, i do weekly 4 hr drives

Any equivalent podcasts available on youtube?

A lot of it is due to interest. The late Republic and into the early Principate is Mike's favorite period of Roman history and it's not really too hard to see why: it seems to be the most well documented portion and is basically a greatest hits of great Roman events and figures. Julius Caesar, Marc Antony, Brutus, Cleopatra, Crassus, Pompey, Marius, Sulla, Augustus, Agrippa, Actium, the Gallic Wars, Spartacus, Mithridates, etc. He's been writing a book on the Marian/Sulla period too.

Whereas listening to it, it's obvious that he's not as interested in the post-Diocletian WRE and especially once you start getting into the last century or so of its existence thus figures like Majorian or Ricimer feel like they're kind of glossed over in comparison.

Samefagging but I'll add that Revolutions is well worth listening to. It starts out a little rough with the English Civil Wars but that's because English history is really fucking boring and the civil war is just Parliament throwing a fit about the king trying to exert some actual authority. But it's pretty good after that and both the Haitian and South American ones are surprisingly great.

Eh, taking a week off because his in-laws are in town or a week or two off at Christmas and New Year's is fine. It's been a little worse recently because of having to write/finish up the book though I think the most recent break after Bolivar was only like two or three weeks. He seems to have stopped doing the tours though; I remember the break after the French Revolution, he was talking about them but I haven't heard a thing about them since he came back from that one.

why does he wear the cap?

Will he die if he takes it off?