You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood...

You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about. War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it … Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth — right at your doors. You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.

Why did they do it?

His March to the Sea was an atroricty. In modern days he would be tried for war crimes.

HE TRIED TO WARN YOU, NOW LOOKIT YA

War is hell. Slavery is worse than the march to the sea.

Haha what?

Every other modern civilization ended the institution of slavery without a war. You act like the South were the only ones who ever did it. Like they invented slavery lol

>they deserve to be butchered and conquered for doing something literally every previous society had done before them

They started the war. They could have dropped slavery peacefully too. They deserve what they got for rebelling.

I warned you about secession bro!!!!
I told you dog

It would have phased out with time, like everywhere else in the world. Peacefully and gradually allowing for temperate changing of labor.

The United States did it incredibly quickly and without much foresight. It's been a disaster for the American Africans.

They live terrible lives full of violence, ignorance and incarceration.

>White man's burden
What an original fucking argument.

More like White man's responsibility.

American Africans have traded seasonal Kentucky farm labor where the bare essentials were provided for urban killing fields where they no longer have to labor to receive the bare essentials.

Before they had overseers and masters to watch out for and today they have police officers and prison guards.

What a bargain.

>The state of racial affairs is some how comparable to chattel slavery

Easy way to avoid police officers and prison guards is to not do crimes.

>easy way to avoid beatings and lashing is to obey the master's command

What I'm saying is this.

Objectively speaking, we are now enough decades away from the Emancipation Proclamation to judge the success.

I say judging by the state if the average negro life in the United States today on 2017, that we have failed to reasonably provide for those freed slaves and their descendents.

Ergo it was a hasty action with little to no foresight which was decided upon by the passions of the day.

>The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make.
Cuckfederates BTFO

Lol they had regular trade with Europe it was an agricultural economy

It was a medieval Russia tier shithole.

Wew lad

Actually scratch that, Russia was probably more developed at that point of time.

South in the 1860s vs Russia in the 1850s

t. Hick McRedneck Billy

Ok I'm a northerner but I don't think it was like THAT

There are places in the south and midwest that still look like this minus the wagons.

Charleston

prolly a slave auction was going on in there desu

Not him but I actually recognize that building, that's the slave market. It's not the place where they bought and sold slaves, it was the place where slaves went to buy goods for their households, as most of the slaves living in Charleston at the time would have been domestic servants for powerful property owners in the peninsula.

Today it looks like pic related: very touristy part of Charleston where you can go and buy overpriced knick-nacks in booths where slaves used to buy potatoes.

Wat the fuck are you smoking?

That's just the Charleston Market Hall. Not a place for only slave to shop.

You goofed

You can't abolish slavery peacefully when you're dealing with a bunch of people who will literally start a war to protect it.

We'll never know.

>Every other modern civilization ended the institution of slavery without a war.
Using compensatory emancipation, which the south wholeheartedly rejected.

>Look at old photos of my hometown from 1880.
>Literally mostly the same buildings, the only things that have changed was the road was paved and we have cars now.

>be southerner
>oppose any restrictions upon expansion of slavery
>realize pretty soon going to btfo in Congress when new free states in north admitted and be outnumbered by them
>white equivelent of chimping out and secede

>Saint Dominigue
You're right friend, there was never a violent revolution or war against slavery besides in the USA.

>haiti

>a tiny handful of wealthy aristocrats lording over a bunch of serfs/slaves and dirt poor freemen in an undeveloped, agricultural shithole
It was exactly the same, just substitute frostbite with water moccasins and alligator snappers.

We literally do know.

It would not be. Destroying infrastructure, supplies for armies and the will to fight are hallmarks of total war, a war which the south asked for.

Whether or not he deliberately burned cities is unknown, but there are records of him commanding the army to fight fires.

Wow he was so spot on

Lol, the march to the sea killed more niggers than whites.

>March through countryside burning plantation and plundering storehouses
>Slaves have nowhere to work or eat
>Half starve to death and the other half aimlessly follow the union army
>WE WUZ FREEDOM BRINGERS N SHIEET

Lol I'm southern I always liked Sherman for doing what he could

>The region with twice the population has more railroads

Really makes you think

Goddamn that neoclassical architecture is comfy as fuck. Why can't we have more nice buildings like that now?

You don't know what you're talking about. Ending slavery gradually was precisely Lincoln's plan. Lincoln stated in his inaugural address that he had no intention of interfering with the institution of slavery where it existed. Saying that it couldn't be expanded caused the south to chimp out so much they had to secede. If you're arguing that the north just should have let them, then slavery would never have been abolished. The fact that there was no reconstruction that made sense is because a confederate sympathizer chimped out and killed the guy who would have made it happen, and a southern president prevented meaningful reconstruction.
You can't blame the whole country for the south's autism. Everybody else wanted it to be peaceful and gradual. That wasn't good enough for the traitors.

It's so clearly fallacious that because that because we have failed to reasonably provide for freed slaves and their descendants, the Emancipation Proclamation wasn't the right decision to make. What would you have done in the 1860s to better the condition of the slaves? Allow slavery to expand into the Kansas-Nebraska to avert the civil war? Give the slaves freed to win the war back to their masters after they won the war? What, do you think when the Emancipation Proclamation was issued Lincoln should have thought of what would happen to the forner slaves if he got shot in the head a couple days after the war?

Don't forget how given the length of time between the Emancipation Proclamation and today, you could have any number of intervening causes for the problems of the descendants of those slaves that are not related to what was going on in the 1860s or reasonably foreseeable by anyone from that time.

>"""crimes"""
I usually don't say this but,
Cuck