Historically, what country is France culturally the closest to...

Historically, what country is France culturally the closest to? They speak a Latin language but their culture is kinda alien to the rest of the Latin countries in Europe, kinda like Romania.

France is closest to Northern Italy culturally. Any other responses are menes.

Depends what you mean by historically. There is a lot of shared history with England, but also with the HRE, large influences in Northern Italy, and the shared dynasty and resulting pact with Spain cannot be ignored. Also, France is not a cultural monolith, northern France is closer culturally to the low countries and closeby german states and Occitan France closer to Italy and Spain

South east France is, north west France is closer to the British isles, northern France to the Dutch, north east to the Germans, south West to the Iberian peninsula.

>Historically, what country is France culturally the closest to?
Le Algieria

They are so close that France population has been slowly transforming into them these past decades.

Belgium, especially the southern half.

Wallonia, no doubt.

Basically all its neighbours

Culturally? Italy and England.

Belgium doesn't count. It's a non-country. Wallonia is French and Flanders is Dutch.

Based on this, The US and the USSR are also not countries as they are/were multilingual states.

Ironically, this was true when Algeria was under French rule.

I'm not sure if pre-1815 Savoy-Piedmont was even considered Italian.
Maybe someone can tell me for sure.

Are you unironically implying the USSR was a country?

Poland, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Romania

Yes it was. It was a highly centralized union.

Heaven or Paradise

It was neither French nor Italian. Both of those are meme ethnicites.

But italy shared standardized italian as a common language since the middle ages and italian languages are all from the same family and mutually understandable (except for the sardinian ) which is the base of an "italian identity", while in France langue d'oc and langue d'oc shares almost nothing in common (whithout even mentioning alien languages like briton, basque, alsacian and corsican). Italy is pretty homogenous compared to France.

>implying French isn't 10x more standardized than Italian
>implying I can understand shit about terroni dialects in Sicily and Naples

t. Piemonte

then why does gomorrah have subtitles on Italian tv?

checkmate

Ciro did nothing wrong.

Napolitan or sicilian are still closer to piemontan than picard is to provencal.

Do you know why Italians gesticulate a lot? It's because they couldn't understand each other very well during the time of the Italian city-states, so they kinda created a pseudo-sign language to overcome that barrier. So no, the dialects aren't completely mutually intelligible at all.

In french tv, when someone from the south speak in french with its own accent, he's sometimes subtitled because parisians are too dumb to make an effort to understand, but he still speak regular french

Do you know why the french don't speak their regional languages anymore ? It's because theu couldn't understand each other AT ALL before the 19th century, so they enforced french languages in school and punishment for everyone speaking its mother's tongue in public. So i state my case that Italy is still homogenous COMPARED to France

Why are there so many Analbanians in South Italy? Is this why it's such a shithole?

Ancient migrations? It's not like today where aliens come in by the boatloads to get on German govt cheese. Albanian presence has existed in South Italy for a long time, same as Greek. Those area's were simply were TOO Albanian during unification process to be Italicized.

Northern Italy, Belgium. Switzerland, East Germany.

It's more that Britain is closer to France.

who cares? the France we used to know will disappear in two generations
and no, Le Pen won't win elections
the weak perishes, au revoir