Which was the best greek City-State?

Which was the best greek City-State?

SPARTA.

All of them have been cunts.

Anyone who says anything other than Athens is memeing.

Gortyn

"""Byzantium"""

This.

c-corinth....

Spread you ass cheeks, βάρβαρος! For the faggot squad is coming to town to wreck your candy asses.

Never forget 146 bc. The year of the cunt, when the most important city starting with a 'C' was destroyed. And some other backwater in Africa too.

Tygea

spartans were niggers who produced no worthwhile cultural output and literally had no currency until the peloponnesian war

Athens>Thebes>Sparta

what a shame...

Athens
Thebes
Pergamum
Miletos
Rhodes

Obviously Athens. #2 is Syracuse.

Corinth is definitely up there but not THE best

>Athens
>Thebes
>Pergamum
>Miletos
>Rhodes
add
Syracuse
Corinth
and you got a list of all the good cities, in no particular order.
Oh and Mytilini

Don't forget that they could only sustain their "Muh virtue" when surrounded by literally nothing. Spartan history is full of Spartans who start misbehaving as soon as they leave the city limits.

Syrakousai.

Thebes.

Every post after this one is a troll.

Obviously Thebes

Yeah it's almost like they only cared about their native city state or something

Athens single handedly started Western Civilization

Any other answer is a joke

Their "virtue" is also largely a result of mythologizing. They were nothing more than a bunch of land and slave owning nobles who spent their days feasting and hunting and training.

Troy obviously

I want to say Athens just because of all the cultural output, but I hate way too many aspects of Athens.

I also really only know Athens, Sparta, Corinth, Thebes, and the Ionian city states like Miletus.

What are so special about the others, particularly Syracuse, Megara, Argos, Samos, and Rhodes?

Argos was cool.

>went on to become Rome
>btfo greeks
Guess yer right, user

Bronze Age Troy obviously wan't Greek

Syracuse

>you will never see the Colossus of Rhodes

(also my spell check literally didn't know the word "Colossus" and kept changing it because spell check is fucking retarded and they don't expect people to use phones for anything other than mundane texting bullshit between normies that don't use big words)

Nýmphaion in Crimea, so you can fuck all the warrior bitches of Sarmatia till your dick turns blue

FUCK THAT AND THAT BITCH GORGO.

>Troy
>Greek

pick one. They spoke Luwian, not Greek.

From those you know probably Athens.
From the ones we keep secret, sorry can't tell

Thebes

Venice

Smyrna

Athens also established some sort of Aegean NATO

Massalia.

The golden age of pericles and the Delian league against the peloponnesean league and spartan, so basically nato vs sco with a twist of phillip the 2nd at the end

I see you jizzing over Sparta and Hitler everyday on this board. Why do you feel the need to post in all caps and have an identity marker that says to the world "I spend all day on a Japanese fingerpainting forum"?

Saying that Sparta was the best Greek city-state is indefensible if you care about anything besides military proficiency

Reminder that athenian vassal city-states were obliged to use a democratic system, when they rebelled in favor of oligarchy, athenian fleet would sail to this island and burn everything down

Lol he is mad

Unless you're using the term "Western" as a synonym for "European" (Russia included), then Western civilization didn't begin until the early medieval period.

Pontus and Macedonia.

Was Athens the first Murica?

Honestly, even their military proficiency is debatable.

Byzantium

Reverse you cuck.

>Syracuse
Was really rich and big. Was practically the boss-nigger of Magna Graecia. When Carthage ever tried to pull shit, it was Syracuse that cock-blocked them.
>Megara
Second-rate Corinth
>Argos
From our understanding, democratic like Athens. Nothing really special about it outside of being elusive when it came to being an ally to anyone--they didn't fucking participate in the Persian Wars, they were skittish with siding with anyone during the Peloponnesian War and many wars after.
>Samos
Lesser-Rhodos, but without notable philosophers and other artists present
>Rhodos
Lesser-Athens, but on a island and with inhabitants that were good slanging bullets.

The Trojans were Turkroaches, not Greeks.

Except, you know, the spartan commander of the greeks at playaea then getting a taste for luxury and boipussy who tried to turn himself into persian satrap. There are many cases of this

>inhabitants that were good slanging bullets.

You aint never lied. Theyre almost as effective as Cretan archers.

aaww, did mommy forgot to give you your chicken tendies?

Pella

WE WUZ SLANGZ

go to bed, Olympias.

>tripfagging as 'Some fag'
I'd say reddit, but that's like memebase tier dude

Rome.

Honestly they were probably closer to the first Soviet Union, with Murica being closer to the oligarchic states.

Athens
>Plato
>Socrates
>Pericles
>Solon
>Cleisthenes
>Alcibiades
>Themistocles
>the list goes on
Sparta
>Lykurgus
>Leonidas
Others
>?

N SHIPS

Do Greco-fied cities count?
Athens
Rhodes
Ephesus
Thebes
Sparta
Halicanarsus
Byzantium
Knossos
Miletus

>be Athens
>lose war to Lacedaemon

1. Athens
2. Ephesus
in that order

Lykurgus probably didn't exist though, Sparta had a thing about inventing its own history in order to legitimate its power.

My nigga

Syracuse was the strongest, richest and was the most cultured before and after the Athenian golden-age.

>b-but they needed Sparta's help
Competence =/= Strength.

>Alcibiades
Now that's a name I haven't heard in a very long time

Syracuse

Grecian Crimea as a whole was the best colonies they had senpai

Virgil take your fanfiction somewhere else

What, no love for Thebes and Corinth?

Epirus

my niggas

Also my niggas

>Be Sparta
>Have to do deals with Persia to get funds for boats after Athens BTFO's your fleet, takes 1/8th of your Spartiate population hostage and constantly raids your 'allies', whilst keeping an iron fist on their tributary states
>Even then the cost of the war was so much on your backwards ass society that you'd never again be relevant at all in any world history
>THAT Sparta

Yeah man thats totally the best city state, not the one that gave us democracy, the basis of western epistemic and normative philosophy, all the while subjugating shit tier polis' because not only are they the most culturally and intellectually advanced of the Dorian and Ionian peoples, but also they are all militarily experinced because of service in the navy and hoplite forces.

Veeky Forums is shit tier and probs only took 1 history semester in highschool

GET OUT OF MY WAY POLIS SHITS
TRUE SUCCESOR OF ALEXANDER COMING THROUGH

*cums*

all of them were shit
t.butthurt persian

The Roman Empire

This thing right here is the TRUE succesor to Alexander's Empire

Epirus

Tell me more
Greek Colonies > Greek homelands

βάρβαρε*

what does this have to do with humanities?

>no one choosing selukia upon Tigris
Whilst part of the Parthian empire and literally opposite Ctesiphon it acted very much as a Greek city state, had its own law and internal rulers and payed homage to Arascids as it was a very beneficial relationship. Wasn't until the Romans sacked it it lost its exclusivity Hellenic character, the last true holdout of Hellenes in Mesopotamia

Argos' only output was putting a roof tile in Pyrrhus' head.

h i s t o r y

>be SPARTA.
>just chill you know regular stuff
>Athens subjegates half the Greek world
>liberate the Greek city states, but start war only as it was too late
Sparta is the best Polis, because it liberated all the other City States and it had a stable constitution.
Sparta saved the entire concept of the Polis in the Peloponnesian War.

>tfw you set Polis=Greek city state
won't happen again...

>be sparta
>don't give back amphipolis

>ally with the persians
>""""""liberate"""""

The Spartans were hardcore homosexuals and one of the best example how rampant homosexuality leads to the extincton of people

Periander sounds like a cool guy

Boy, girl, which difference in an asshole?

corinth was like sparta's little manlet friend who kept trying to pick fights with athens and just ran behind sparta when it came down to it

When your culture is based on enslaving your metics and you don't produce new warriors because you are too busy shagging Alexandros and not your wife, you should not be surprised when you get overthrown

Only real answer is athens. And maybe just maybe Syracuse cuss of their war machines.