How many of you genuinely believe you would be happier in an earlier time?

How many of you genuinely believe you would be happier in an earlier time?

For me it's 1900-1960. I grew up with many relatives from then and things seemed genuinely happier even if simpler/not as wealthy. Things like how tight families were and how easier it was to get one.

The 1960 and 70s because i enjoy having multiple sexual partners and ingesting a lot of drugs

>70s
That's literally the worst decade in US history outside of the 30s by every objective metric.

>i enjoy having multiple sexual partners and ingesting a lot of drugs
You can have that today too.

Yeah, but I'd have a better sound track bacl then.

Disco was shit.

I can't say because it is impossible to be myself and have an alternative history. I come from time and place

I think I'd be quite happy as a viking or a knight desu. I enjoy fighting and doing manly stuff and it was easy to find purpose, which is the more difficult part in my life. Your only purpose was pretty much handed to you.
No tipping involved though, I love my life right now as well and wouldn't change.

I genuinely believe I'd be happier toiling the earth and watching the sheep as a simple peasant with no concept of the world 10km beyond my village. I'm working on seeing if I can try this out for a couple years after I pay off all of my debts because I've come to the realization that I consume very little by way of consumer products and all I need is an internet connection and some books to keep me happy. The capitalist rat race seemingly has nothing to offer me.

Had psychedelic rock in mind, but ok. Not much worse than EDM, desu.

I wanna be a fucking golden age Caribbean pirate.

Fighting on the high seas, getting drunk, fucking exotic, disease ridden whores, and dying gloriously in combat before I'm 30 sounds amazing desu.

Pic marginally related.

The future, being honest.

This desu. And the thing it was even better back then since you didn't question anything. You were taught your whole life that "that's how it is". I think back to my great grandfathers who were farmers.

>marry a submissive 18 year old virgin
>cum in her every night
>5 kids
>simple yet happy life as a farmer
>close knit church/social community
>no degeneracy
>no niggers
>nothing to make you doubt your life

Etc

>I genuinely believe I'd be happier toiling the earth and watching the sheep as a simple peasant with no concept of the world 10km beyond my village.
>all I need is an internet connection and some books to keep me happy.
>The capitalist rat race seemingly has nothing to offer me.
you people can't be taken seriously

You're barely even humam at that point.

Because working somewhere in a cubicle and stuffing your face with HFCS laced fastfood while passing time with masturbation and browsing Facebook is the pinnacle of humanity.

No, but you have access to everything to educate yourself and attain virtue, which is.

Education directly prevents virtue, the same as wealth.

Is that what you, and your cohorts do? You sound sad. I hope you turn it around.

What do you do?

Eat nutritious food I've grown myself, discuss history with my friends, play sports with my other friends, talk with you on Veeky Forums

how so?

Is it a good book? looks pretty darn cool.

Look at the garbage people universities produce, carnal hedonism oriented and devoid of any virtue.

>Eat nutritious food I've grown myself
I'm envious then as I grew up in the countryside and now living in a (((city))). I miss having my own orchard and slaughtering my own pigs.

(((Education)))

>atheism
>nihilism
>moral relativism
>left wing politics

a few shit unis in the US don't constitute the entirety of education

And most importantly, materialism. That's the root of all that shit.

Unfortunately it's not just the US anymore, but whole Europe as well.

bollocks. I've been at a European university for 5 years and I have never encountered anything of the sort. And one of my degrees belonged to the social sciences department

Universities in Eastern Europe where I'm from are full of those things. Feminism, gender studies, Anglo-centric whig history, they even import lecturers from America to teach this shit.

I think you're over romanticizing it, it's the same kind of mentality that people have with the 90's even though it wasn't that much better or worse than any other decade. If you were born as a farm herder 2000 years ago, life would be a lot more boring and unsafe. There would be internet, no TV, no movies, no radio, no rock, electronic, jazz, rap, metal, orchestra, or opera music. Your life would consist of being completely subject to the elements and whether the season would bring a good harvest or not. Life would be a lot more monotonous with doing the same things every day just to survive, and it was a lot easier back then to die from something stupid like a cut that gets infected (since anti-biotics didn't exist back then), and there was all kinds of war back then too. The problems that exist in current western civilization like materialism still existed.

If you want a rural life you can still do it but now with the added benefit of science, recreational media, and a developed first world.

>easier it was to get one.
It's much easier to get a family now.

Keeping one, on the other hand...

>no rock, electronic, jazz, rap, metal
You're listing that as a negative?

I'm from EE too mate. And it's not like any narrative being told you obliges you to accept it. If you don't want them, universities provide you with the facts alone as well.

sorry i like the 80s and 90s,
muh ninja turtles
muh legos
muh aol

Where in EE? Maybe places like Ukraine or Russia can still be saved, I admittedly don't know much about them.

Hungary. Don't have illusions of muh ebin Orbán, it's an absolute moral cesspit compared to other countries. I personally think nothing gets emptier than nationalism and religiousness, but this conversation is not about that, and the moral problems prevalent don't necessarily either.

Rural Hungary is GOAT

I genuinely believe I would be happier.

Consider this:
>Cow is happy grazing on grass
>Monkey is happy climbing trees for fruit
>Lioness is happy hunting
>Human is happy working hard on farm

>Human is unhappy working from a comfy desk job, and decides to end his life by jumping out of a 12 story building designed for his comfort, to fall and die on a car that was built to make his life easier.

No amount of material wealth can ever make one happier. We live by law and economy; we're forced to accept x person as a member of our tribe for the simple fact that he has a paper that says he's a citizen, and we're supposed to tolerate this person simply because he has money. We're controlled by a political and economic system that tells us who we are allowed to associate with. And while it doesn't blatantly say "You can't do this or that", but instead says "You have the freedom to speech and association", it doesn't mean shit, because the same political and economic system is selling houses where you live to people not like you, and they're forcing their money into your hands, so you have to pay it back, and you can only pay it back by working at those specific jobs which the government and the economy tell you to work at, jobs with low income, jobs where you're forced to talk to people not like yourself, people you don't even trust.

With complete freedom, and I mean complete freedom, even the freedom to murder or steal, man's vestigial honour comes back. Honour doesn't mean respect, goodness, honesty, or any of that bullshit; honour is a relationship between you and YOUR society. Without the faux-society that the media presents, and the faux-natural-law that politics and the economy impose on us, we decide who our society is by natural means. Without the modern system, we would have the freedom of honour, and honour would become more than just unrequited mania. We wouldn't feel randomly depressed. Depression is a symptom of an honourless person.

>How many of you genuinely believe you would be happier in an earlier time?
Completely retarded "golden age" type mythologizing of history.

>pros of a free man
>living in a warehouse
>picture of some gay ass concert
I think you didn't think this through.

>extremely emaciated
The peasants were actually pretty fucking fat since they overdosed on bacon and cheese.

We aren't all paranoid forest apes living in a compound clutching our bibles and eyebanging our sister

Some of us live in urban areas and like to visit other humans and attend music shows.

If I was an aristocrat, and could keep myself out of the wars and black lists around said, "The Golden Age" of 1920-30's had a very nice intellectual and cultural scene for the elite, just liberated enough to still have fun, that the obscure circles I belonged to during the early 90's (yes I'm old) were a pale imitation of. Yeah, a lot of them were goth as fuck, but even they seemed to revel in their misery.

If I'm average Joe, belonging one of the more prosperous but isolated, Native American tribes would be nice. Where men could be men (and, more importantly, be individuals), but didn't have to chop each other's heads off on a regular basis (such as where the tribes interacted), nor indirectly bleed anyone dry just to survive (unlike today).

But I wouldn't want to see mankind revert to either culture, as I do actually give a shit about the collective nature of man, and don't wanna see us all wiped out come the next cosmic golf ball or terrestrial fart. So, assuming we escape the anti-intellectual death spiral in which we currently find ourselves, in the end, the era I wish to live in has yet to be born.

Urban areas are cancerous.

Daily reminder that 1800-1914(pre-war) was GOAT

You forgot

>Watch as the local lord comes and rapes your wife because he can
>Raiders murder your family and steal your chickens
>Die a slow and agonizing death from the plague

Nice fantasy for a forest ape. Pity for you that those are the places where all of the economic growth have been taking place

I live in an urban area, sorry to say. It really is degeneracy central.

>nothing gets emptier than nationalism and religiousness

t. Soros

>economic growth
Materialist money worshippers out.

Cities are nice to visit but a complete meme to live in

I like modern food too much. Right now I can taste dishes from all over the world at a pretty reasonable price. I can find infinitely more entertainment than I could in any other period of history, my higiene and health are better, and I'm living in the era of free thought and free speech, so I probably would kill myself if my memories translated to another era.
But if I didn't know what I was missing, being a farmer somewhere safe in the height of the Roman Empire, like in Sardinia or some shit would be pretty chill. Or being an ancient Phoenician/Greek trader exploring the mediterranean and beyond

Taco Bell and Panda Express don't count buddy.

And the beautiful thing is that if you find urban living too competitive and high energy for you, you have the freedom to give it all up and go live in the woods where those mean old ethnic minorities can't get you.

Serfs would have had to get legal permission to move.

>Materialist money worshippers out.
But this is my base, now

>Cities are nice to visit but a complete meme to live in
I know lots of people who commute to them for work and go back to living where ever they want when they're done. You can live in a log cabin in upstate NY and work in Manhattan and have a commute which isn't that bad. Same goes for any urban center: people have the freedom to set their own living arrangements.

>muh ethnic food

>turns out reactionaries have a overly romanticized view of the past

>materialism meme
>"""""freedom""""" to subsidize Muslim immigration and single mothers

At least the old empires did G shit like build wonders and conquer nations

>non-reactionaries

>society is always steadily progressing to a utopia the past was always worse my marxist professor told me so

>be slack jawed simple minded moron
Sounds like your average normies and trash of today. At least serfs had practical skills.

>"""""freedom""""" to subsidize Muslim immigration and single mothers
"He that does not like civil society on these terms, let him retire and live among savages. He can have no right to the benefits of society, who will not pay his club towards the support of it."
>G shit like build wonders
Find one that comes close to CERN in terms of scale, splendor, and utility
> and conquer nations
The United States is still the engine powering the world economy. We dominate them culturally and economically rather than militarily

Rule of law has always existed in society and it officially goes as far back as Hammurabbi

A society where anybody is free to do what they want would not be sustainable. Hedonism and materialism would become a lot more common.

>At least serfs had practical skills.
Right, because subsistence farming is such a growth industry

Why do you assume everyone in here is American?

>growth
What did he mean by this

>past sucks more than you think
>ya well you think the future is great
Nice whatsboutism. I actually the past is as shitty as the present, the latter has creature comforts though

>What did he mean by this
What I meant is that not every body would be content with being some forest ape content with a nice dry cave and freshly chased down game.

Because even if you're okay with burying your head in the sand and dreaming of a happier time in the past, your foreign peers will eventually overcome you when they discharge timidity in the face of technological chance.

>not being part of the American master race

ffs kill yourself already you'll just be in the way when our Caesar comes knocking

What we want isn't realistically attainable anymore. It's more of a sentimental cry for the better times.

Desu the dream is to use modern technology against them.

Neo-reactionary state soon

>how do we beat modernism?
>WITH MORE MODERNISM!

Top kek. Marx was actually right that the material base and technology is driving mankind, except it's driving it to hell. And there's no brakes on this evil train.

You are longing for something that doesn't exist

all im saying is that I dont want to eat the same 3 dishes my whole life.

It doesn't, but it used to. I've lived it in the late 80s and early 90s.

>I genuinely believe I'd be happier toiling the earth
I don't think you know how hard it really is. I used to visit my granddad's farm during summers, he would take me and my brother to the fields and plant banana, mango, nutmeg trees and dig proper irrigation trenches when I was fucking 5 (till 12) with my granddad and my brother, we would spend four hours a stretch in gruelling summer heat in july of southern india have an hour break for lunch in the afternoon and then go out and work again till 5:30 or 6 pm. The meals were the best I had after the work, but goddamn everything hurt, it was gruelling and made me appreciate what I had back home just going to school and getting everything handed to me.

The comfort I was used to was too good and that was in 90's india, I cant imagine some overfed westerner doing a fraction of the work for a day let alone his whole life.

Never existed, nostalgia goggles be damned

Poo in field

Nah we had an outhouse.

>I genuinely believe I'd be happier toiling the earth and watching the sheep as a simple peasant with no concept of the world 10km beyond my village

Please talk to any old Chinese dude and ask them how that life is compared to a modern one. Don't be surprised if you get slapped.

>muh nostalgia goggles
Get fucked kiddo.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. Hunger isn't fun, and neither is the brutal reality of the natural order.

Sounds like your grandfather overburdened you at your age rather gradually increase your workload. But what difference does it make if you become accustom to it? You got exposed to luxuries of staying indoors during the rest of the year. If that didn't happen, you wouldn't have suffered as badly from not seeing the differences.

If you ask the modern somewhat middle class worker if his salary is ideal or enjoyable after he spends 3/4th of the year living as a millionaire among other millionaires, he'll probably smack you too. He'll probably feel that he has been reduced and feels humiliated that his once peers are now far more advantageous than him and enjoying a more easier life from their wealth propensity than him even though they were once equals. Indeed, there's probably millionaires out there that get everything handed to them since early age that doing anything mundane such as cleaning their own house or shopping for themselves feels to be a reduction in their dignity and excessive hard work.

You don't have to be a rat in the rat race.

>emaciated
beer, dairy, bread and meat

it would be nice to live there

>peasants were emaciated and malnourished

who let reddit in?

>muh degeneracy
>muh wimmin
>muh materialism
>muh rat race

Weaklings who can't survive in this society are luckily being removed from the gene pool.

Barring some obviously horrific periods like the plague, WW1, the Great Depression, etc, I don't really think there are good or bad times. Every time has its own problems. We have amazing creature comforts now, but our society is a mess. We're divided, people are constantly at each others throats over inane bullshit, nobody trusts anyone, and no one has any purpose in life. In 800AD, your whole life was pretty much set and figured out for you. Your society actually worked; you had a homogeneous culture. You believed 100% in your religion's vision of the afterlife. But you had to put up with the Vikings, rampant disease, and basically no creature comforts.

But you have to be a rat to be a Jew.

>commuting everyday from a log cabin in upstate NY to Manhattan
So you're gonna be communiting for 7 hours? What a life lol.

You sound really agitated.

Yes and? My point is that all times have their upsides and downsides. Currently we have awesome stuff but can't do anything other than satisfy base urges.

The grass is always greener, etc etc.

>Some of us live in urban areas and like to visit other humans and attend music shows.
Cities back than were death traps of disease.

They still are!

Yes.
>tfw i'm a programmer but nothing makes me feel more fulfilled than physical labour.

Not really unless you live in designated shitting streets India and even than they still have access to modern medicine.

They're still full of disease, its just not cholera anymore. Now its HIV.

Which you are very unlikely to ever get if you just practice safe sex and choose your partners wisely. Even than it's not a death sentence anymore.

It's not like back then when shit was poured out onto the streets and any tiny cut infected or flu could easily kill you not to mention that STD's were around back then as well.

And back in the day, all you had to do was boil your water. Simple!

They didn't have the knowledge or education back than. They thought disease was caused by "bad air", Jews, or random acts of God.