Yahweh/El

Is this the name of the God the Jews worship?

Is Yahweh/El the same God that Christians worship (the father of Christ)?

Other urls found in this thread:

jewishchristianlit.com//Topics/JewishJesus/toledoth.html
youtube.com/watch?v=qk_VwZxN9bA
youtube.com/watch?v=qTi1FZkoEsM
youtube.com/watch?v=86PL9wueH-s
youtube.com/watch?v=TLoUq8vybzY
youtube.com/watch?v=styLx-iWwC8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes. This is the Canaanite god El, the god of the Hebrews an therefore Christians and Muslims as well.

YHWH IS EL.

This is what you pray to every time you get on your knees, hope youre not pissing off any other diety..

Yahweh is Allah

The religion of the earliest Hebrews which was to become Judaism is the ancient Canaanite religion. This is fact.

Also it began as a polytheistic religion. That's why you see things in Genesis like "Man was created in OUR image", or like in Job where God addresses a host of other deities who are in heaven with him.

Is El the equivalent of Jupiter? Or is it Cronus/Saturn?

What the fuck are you talking about? El had nothing to do with the Greco Roman Pantheon, it predates them by several thousand years

Definitely Saturn. Baal/hadad, El's son, is Jupiter.

I think he's asking if EL is the head god in the caananite pantheon of gods like Jupiter is.

The answer is yes. He was the head god. Yahweh was the god of war in the same pantheon.

El didn't directly rule over the gods, though he was the "head god". Baal Hadad was the real ruler over the gods and had the storm motifs that Zeus had. It's sort of like the greek gods' hierarchy if Cronus wasn't overthrown by Zeus, but just willingly sidelined by him.

Jewish polytheism confuses me.

How can Jesus be the Son of God if the Jews had many gods?

And if they moved to a monotheistic view by the time Jesus came, which god had they decided was the main God now?

>Yahweh, El, Jehova, Allah, God - are they all the same being? Or did we get mixed up somewhere?

It's not Jewish, it's Caananite
Jewish as we know it didn't come until much later when the Isreals were taken into Babylon and merged with Zoroastrianism.

There are two major writers of the old testament which can be deciphered by their use of the term El or Yahweh

The praise of Yahweh became the most prevalent by the time of the exile because worship of a warrior god of war makes the most sense when you want to be delivered. Once removed from their homeland, El and the other gods fell away.

Yahweh then became monotheistic when fused with the customs and concepts of the Babylonian/Assyrian religions of Zoroastrianism

From what I understand Jesus being God is different from God being Jehova or YHWH because the latter are all just different names for the same being, but Jesus and God fulfill different roles while simultaneously being the same being but wearing a different face so to speak. Take this with a grain of salt though I'm not sure I'm right

So confusing.

>humans change the identity of God all the time

Hmm. I'll just stick with God the Creator of All. Can't get any higher than that.

>Is this the name of the God the Jews worship?
He has many names. It's YHWH in scripture but one of his names is a 'true' 'secret' 'ineffable' name.

It's ineffable because knowing an entity's name gives you power over that entity (and that's blasphemous as shit when it comes to god and likely to get him real pissed): in many antique cultures there wasn't a clear separation between a thing and a representation of that thing, so the written name of something or a sculpture or painting of them was literally considered them (this is a major reason why depictions of god and 'graven images' were forbidden).

There's a famous Jewish satire of Christianity called the Toldot Yeshu where Jesus (Yeshu) discovers the secret name, and uses it's power to deceive people into believing he is the messiah by performing miracles.

jewishchristianlit.com//Topics/JewishJesus/toledoth.html

Writing or saying the ineffable name is blasphemy ("Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain") and you're likely to get smited by god for having anything to do with it.

The name is Shemhamforash.

heresy

Jesus is Yahweh, as is the Holy Spirit

There is no "unique" name for the father, since he is both incorporeal and incomprehensible. That's why Jesus and the Holy Spirit are necessary for us to get a glimmer of the father, all three being the presence of Yahweh

>I have gone by many names, but you know me as...
(Satan's quote in every other movie.)

Next decade you'll be worshiping some other self-help therapy or televangelist or politician.

>incomprehensible
>BUT ALSO HE'S A WISE KING AND LOVES US AND HATES SIN AND

Are you a space marine lol

Yes.

whats confusing about it? its pretty straightforward

God is the truth which best suits humans
ie: the principles in which allowed humans to survive in mother nature (which is constantly trying to kill us) and socially among other humans (which are constantly trying to kill each other)
Whichever for god takes, El, the arbiter of the god or Yahweh, the promised warrior god- the idea and configuration of behaviors allows that specific subset of humans to survive unimaginable difficulties.
That same concept- however morphed and changed over the centuries- still provided a structure for humans to survive their environment.

That's Jesus and the Holy Spirit, who both are also God

>Father: incorporeal, incomprehensible

>Jesus: corporeal, comprehensible

>Holy Spirit: incorporeal, comprehensible

>You: corporeal, incomprehensible

>Holy Spirit: comprehensible

No one can recognize Jesus as Lord, without first receiving the guidance and wisdom of the Holy Spirit.

For those saying Jews were polytheistic isn't quite right. Back then each tribe had their own god that they worshiped exclusively. So, it was henotheistic. Other gods were acknowledge to exist, but X tribe only worshiped one particular god. Jews had Yahweh. It wasn't until the Babylonian period that another user mentioned that suddenly god was the only god and suddenly went from the limited Yahweh into the more "omni" direction we see today.

He's confused because the vast majority of people proclaiming to follow the god of Abraham have no fucking idea what their god was really said to be like. It's like if you dated a girl for years and suddenly she takes her face off and it's a reptilian. It's gonna be hard coming to terms with the reality because the god preached to people is so vastly different from what their god actually is.

>The worship of Yahweh alone began at the earliest with Elijah in the 9th century BCE, but more likely with the prophet Hosea in the 8th; even then it remained the concern of a small party before gaining ascendancy in the exilic and early post-exilic period.[49] The process by which this came about might be described as follows: In the early tribal period each tribe would have had its own patron god; when kingship emerged the state promoted Yahweh as the national god of Israel, supreme over the other gods, and gradually Yahweh absorbed all the positive traits of the other gods and goddesses; finally, in the national crisis of the exile, the very existence of other gods was denied.[9]
How true is this?

ill just leave this here

To the best we can ascertain, it is at least in the realm of accuracy

Pretty true. That's what happened. Half the shit you see today is making excuses for stuff in the Bible that was originally attributed to a non-omni being. God losing to iron chariots? God could be beaten because Yahweh wasn't omnipotent. God speaks in the plural? It's the royal "we". A lot of this shit makes sense if you realize that god was very different than he is now. Instead, people have to rationalize a lot of shit because the original god does not match up with the very different modern understandings. Like the slavery or genocide god orders or Jesus calling a woman a dog. Yahweh wasn't the god of anybody but Jews. Everyone else had their own god. It wouldn't be until Paul made up some shit to prevent Christianity from dying out that pandered to gentiles that god even applied to anyone but Jews. Early on Christianity was understood to be for Jews, not anybody else.

That doesn't make it comprehensible

The Holy Spirit is the least comprehensible part of the Holy Trinity

Because it's a Greek concept that emerged later. But the trinity itself is nonsense backed by no scripture at all. It was made to pander to all Christians (who worshiped Jesus, some god alone with Jesus as a prophet, some with Jesus as the son, some the holy spirit, etc.) Early on there was no canon texts or beliefs. So, to get some form of unity they came up with the trinity to appeal to the vast majority of Christians so they could all technically be right and get them to agree with one another and establish a canon that basically took all the most popular books and combined them.

Yes and yes.

Yahweh, Jehovah, LORD, God.
The Most High.
The Everlasting One.
El Shaddai.
The Lord of Hosts.
The Ancient of Days.
The "I Am"
Yeshua, Iesous, Jesus.
Messiah, Anointed, Christ.
The creator and sustainer of the universe.

On the other side we have..
Satan, Lucifer, Moloch, Baal, Shiva, the Accuser and deceiver, etc. The father of lies. The founder of Paganism, Gnosticism, New Age, Islam, Catholicism, Hinduism, Atheism, Evolutionism and every false religion in the world.

>this is what atheists actually believe

why even go to such lengths to care about this Dungeons and Dragons bullshit

Jews actually worship Satan

>This is what every scholar not associated with particularly conservative sects of Christianity actually believe

Except even Satan was originally an angel who was a dickhead only on god's orders to test the faith of people and separate the righteous and true believers from the sinners. Christians made up the "fall" out of nowhere. Because, in Judaism, much like Islam, angels were never understood to have free will in the way humans do. They follow what god says. The idea that an angel could fall emerged with Christianity, and way later.

is the dinosaur stuff supposed to be ironic or

Literally no scholar takes your "jewz r canaanites!" myth seriously.

The only ones who constantly regurgitate that garbage are 15 year old youtube/forum atheists.

Wow calm down there Constantine. We all know that the trinity is a pagan concept made up by Paul the liar to enslave the minds of the uneducated.

Islam had the only one true definition of God. A Supreme being with no equal, no limiting factors, no arguments, no sons or daughters, no "He be half man, half spirit, all father with a pinch of human too!". Good is One, the Greatest.

Get back to the oven

Nice meme!

ITT: atheists make claims and assertions without any proof or evidence

Islam is just as riddled with Pagan shit as Christianity.

Secondly, the trinity didn't come into being until the first Nicaea council. Paul just changed shit to convert gentiles like getting rid of dietary laws, circumcision, etc.

Roman Catholicism and Islam are both crypto-pagan religion.

Biblical Christianity or Puritan/Protestant Christianity is the only legit and real deal.

No. See: this entire thread. Your first point is correct, though.

No, the Creation museum in Kentucky is full of this dinosaur shit, I've been there.

>Puritan
Kike loving shit. Lutheranism or fuck off.

Yes.
Yes.

Jesus is the God in the flesh.

No, only dopes think that.

The old NT bible has been superseded by the Book of Mormon.

>God's Word has been superseded by a heretical cult that was founded by a Freemason

0/10

Um no everyone does who isn't a conservative Christian or Jew.

You dont even have to be an atheist to believe that (as if everyone who isn't a Christian is an atheist) Heck a liberal Christian could believe this

I don't have much knowledge on the subject but isn't the Jewish view on God similar to what you described?

If you think that dangerous fringe cults are not legitimate then why do you take PROTESTANTISM of all things to be fine?
Is it because you just happen to be a protestant and are blatantly biased and idiotic? Hmm...

I was hoping this wouldn't happen but i couldn't find any good pictures of Ancient Israel so I decided to put ironic pictures. Do you think I should change it?

It is but they also believe some of the prophets to be sons of God in a "biological" manner so it kind of deviates there.

It made me super suspicious of that list of books because I though you were that Creationism guy who spams cult website links.

While I don't doubt that the Jews were originally polytheists (everyone in that region were), I don't get this point.

The Old Testament/Torah was written down some time during the 2nd or 3rd century BCE, before that, there was only an oral tradition. By that time Jews were known for being monotheists.

So, when obviously monotheist rabbis decided to write down the Torah... why would they leave in a reference to there being more gods? In the first chapter non the less.

I guess at that time this part was commonly understood as God referring only to himself as a god. Maybe it was a form of royal "we", or he was simply addressing angels (who are mentioned again several times in Genesis).

You believe in lies and pseudo-history.

hmm ok then, I'll change it...
I'll use you're pic as a token of gratitude

*believes fake bible stories*

>
>Islam is just as riddled with Pagan shit as Christianity.

Citation needed. Islam is the exact opposite of paganism in all ways and manners. There is absolutely no tolerance for any sort of deviance from monotheism to such an extent where believing in lucky charms, even if they are Islamic writings on a piece of paper, to be heretical (i.e you wrote words of the Qur'an on a piece of paper and carry it with you thinking it will give since sort of cosmic benefit is a huge sin). Only God can give you benefit or harm. Nothing else.

How then did you come to your conclusion?

>scientific facts and articles are "cult"

funny how atheists stop believing in science when it contradicts their evolution myth

>Detailed Documentary Exposing Islam (3 hours)
youtube.com/watch?v=qk_VwZxN9bA

>Allah in Quran = Satan in Bible
youtube.com/watch?v=qTi1FZkoEsM
youtube.com/watch?v=86PL9wueH-s
youtube.com/watch?v=TLoUq8vybzY

Islam definitely has pagan roots. The original "Allah" was a pagan moon god with 3 daughters.

The fact that the hajj, kaaba, and various other things in Islam are from pagan origins. Islam is far from truly "pure" monotheism in that sense.

And Mohammad himself apparently said that he wanted to tear down the kaaba, but people were too close to the age of ignorance (time before Islam). He said it to Aisha in a hadith. Even if you disregard the hadith, the fact that it incorporated practices from paganism shows it's not much different. At that point it is like Catholics who also absorbed pagan beliefs and just laid over some Christian meaning to it. But saying "oh the kaaba was totes built by our prophets guys", does not change the truth of the

matter.

Creationism is a fringe cult position, held by deep south redneck Baptists and other retards and cultists.
That's the fact, I get why you can't EVER admit this due to your enslavement to the bible. Sucks to be you.

You're retarded. I'm not Muslim and even I know Allah wasn't a moon god. The moon god has a different name entirely. Allah was just the name for the same god as the Jews. And not because he was THE god, but because hundreds of different gods were recognized in Mecca. Given the Christian and Jewish presence in Arabia, it made sense that god would be in there too. But the three daughters thing is true hence the "satanic verses".

>things i dont like are fringe
>science is false when it proves my worldview wrong
>honest scientists who believe in creation using scientific arguments are cultists!

This is your brain on militant atheism.

Where are the Buddhist young earth creation scientists? What about hindus? why are they all Christians? Science doesn't change with your religion

just ignore him, atheists on Veeky Forums are retarded and irrational.

i doubt he even knows what creationism is except for strawmans from his evolutionist indoctrination

Things that are held by a tiny fraction of redneck churches are in fact "Fringe Cult" positions.
Sorry you devoted your whole life to making a fool out of your self by mimicking science that you seem to hate so much in order to seem relevant.

>Ad populum
>Appeal to ridicule
>Ad hominem

I spot 3 logical fallacies in your post, not a single actual argument. Here's a pity (You).

evolutionism is a cult.

it has been proven wrong years ago yet you still clinge to a dead theory

/thread

Since when do you people even care about argumentation in the first place? This board is flooded with your proclamations about your god nonstop. Ridiculous things are only worthy of ridicule.

>cultist trying to turn the tables by labeling science as a "religion"
Complete inversion of reality, I'm afraid you are deranged.

Jokes on you, I'm not an atheist
I believe in Christianity, albeit a different approach, but I still believe it to be incredibly beneficial and true

science isn't a religion, evolution is a religion.

i love science, it proves creationism is right and destroys evolutionism.

ok so i made it look more legit, sorry i had to shrink your image other user i wanted the "realism" aesthetic to prevail

>the bible is automatically true therefore twist everything to reach that conclusion
I'm afraid that's not actual science, cultist.

its the other way around, dumbass.

>evolution is automatically true therefore twist everything to reach that conclusion

many creationist scientists were ex-evolutionists. they could no longer reconcile the evidence of design and creation with their beliefs in darwinism.

the ID movement is growing whereas darwinism is dying, stay mad

evolution as envisioned by darwin had many flaws, but darwin's ideas have been refined over 150 more years by experimentation. it's retarded to say evolution is a religion because any theory is constantly amended to take into account new discoveries and experiments that account for anything that can't be explained by the previous theory. evolution is not a monolithic concept but something that has been edited over and over again so you can't point to one period and say "this is what evolution is." tldr you're a retard

Stop replying to him, evolutionists are irrational and incapable of providing any evidence for their monkey-to-man religion.

>2nd or 3rd century BCE
that's way too late. that fits some later works like Daniel but the Torah was definitely in writing by the 8th century BC in some form (Deuteronomy 7th century).

Once again you have zero grasp on reality, you can only imitate science because you are jealous of its explanatory and convincing power, but since it doesn't enforce your dogmatic preconceived RELIGION, you make up some ridiculous parody but being DECEITFUL.
So not only are you objectively wrong, but you also violate the very tenants of your self-imposed religion to be wrong. As expected of a disgusting redneck cultist.

youtube.com/watch?v=styLx-iWwC8

The answer is here. It's worth a watch.

tl;dw: Jews stopped worshiping Yahweh and following the Torah long ago, and instead worship money through various devils and demons like Baal and Remphan. Judaism = Jewish Mysticism/Kabbalah = Babylonian Mystery Religion. Jesus said that those who do not have the Son do not have the Father. He said the Jews do not worship in spirit and truth as sons of Abraham but are liars, sons of the devil. He said Judaism is the Synagogue of Satan.

"For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God." Romans 2:28-29

>>/pol/
you're worse than cockroaches

This is Veeky Forums, and I'm providing a historical, not political, reply. Was something I said factually or historically incorrect?

The Jewish tradition was a merging of several similar regional religions, each featuring a supreme god.
The evidence is in the several names that are used for that god in the OT, including Elohim, Yahweh, Shaddai, and El Elyon.
The different names are used in different contexts: Elohim in the "Elohist" parts of Genesis, Yahweh in the "Jahwist" parts of Genesis and elsewhere, Shaddai in Job and a few other places, and El Elyon in a few places, such as when mentioning priests that were sympathetic to the Jews.

The only place in the Gospels where Jesus is presented as not a Jew and in opposition to Jews is John, which was written very late.
Paul =/= Jesus, so your quotation from Romans is irrelevant.

There are plenty of references of Jesus, even John the Baptist, opposing the Jews before John's gospel and Paul's letters.

Matthew 3:5-9, 5:17-30 cf. John 8:37-47.
Matthew 12:1-14
Matthew 12:22-32
Matthew 15:1-20 cf. Mark 7:1-23
Matthew 16:1-12 cf. Mark 8:13-21, Luke 12:1-3
Matthew 21:33-46
Matthew 22:41-46
Matthew 23:1-36 cf. Luke 11:37-54
Luke 7:30-35
Luke 16:14-18

Such opposition was corroborated by his disciple, John, and through the apostle Paul. What evidence do you offer to support your claim that Jesus' apostles did not remain true to his words and teachings? Also, where do either John or Paul present Jesus as a Gentile?

Says the christian while he worship at statues