Over two thousand years later and Christians still haven't recovered

>Over two thousand years later and Christians still haven't recovered

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>its a test lol

now what?

The solution is that God is evil. The thing is that even if he is evil, he's so powerful that you have to worship him anyway, lol. He's like Darkseid

An omniscient God already knows everything, he doesn't need to test you.

If the test has not taken place, you cannot know the outcome, you can only predict with up to 100% accuracy. The results must be revealed in order for the prediction to become knowledge. The Lord knows everything because he sees everything (past, present, and future) all at once.

>God doesn't know the outcome
>God sees future

Choose one and only one.

Way to miss the entire point.

I saw the only part that matters.

God knows everything or he doesn't. If he knows everything he doesn't need to test you. Period.

He never said this. Epicurus was a theist himself and had his own ideas about how the Gods meted out justice.

That argument that is often attributed to him is a hypothetical argument put forth by the early Christian philosopher Lactantius.

Lactantius presented the argument so that, at least to his satisfaction, he could refute it.

It's funny how when people decided to attribute the quote to Epicurus they left out the refutation. Rly makes u thinc...

>yfw cuckstianity was BTFO before it even existed

>100% accuracy of X happen do not means knowing X will happen
I don't think you know what induction or knowledge means

What was the refutation?

he doesn't need to, but it's the Right thing to do

Basically that God allows evil to infest the world so that good can demonstrate its virtue against it. "God delivered us evil so that we might know goodness".

I assume that whoever actually attributed the quote to Epicurus instead of just using him as a hypothetical participant in the argument like Lactantius did must have found his refutation unconvincing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil
"But if this account is true, which the Stoics were in no manner able to see, that argument also of Epicurus is done away. God, he says, either wishes to take away evils, and is unable; or He is able and is unwilling; or He is neither willing nor able, or He is both willing and able. If He is willing and is unable, He is feeble, which is not in accordance with the character of God; if He is able and unwilling, He is envious, which is equally at variance with God; if He is neither willing or able, He is both envious and feeble, and therefore not God; if He is both willing and able, which alone is suitable to God, from what source then are evils or why does He not remove them? I know that many of the philosophers, who defend providence, are accustomed to be disturbed by this argument, and are almost driven against their will to admit that God takes no interest in anything, which Epicurus especially aims at.
—Lactantius, On the Anger of God[178]"

Apparently, that is indeed a quote from Epicurus

He's not saying that Epicurus literally said that, just using him as a hypothetical debater. It's not something the historical Epicurus would say at all.

this was never proven to have been said by him

Chinese already solved this way long ago

>If the test has not taken place, you cannot know the outcome
I don't think you understand what "omniscient" means.

nietzsche's once said something along the lines that someone without the ability to do bad should not be proud of their not doing bad. An animal with no claws should not be proud of it's being vegetarian. It is only one who has the ability to do bad and then not do so that can truly be called good. Likewise, if god made a world where no bad could exist, it wouldn't be a good world either. everything would simply be. Only in a world where supreme evil can exist but doesn't can true good be made. or something like that, im just spit balling here.

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Isaiah 45:7

Easiest response: people are evil & God gave them free will.

Did you actually just capitalize the word "right" like it's some kind of sacrosanct term?

God's morality should not be conflated with human morality.
who are you to accuse the one who laid the foundations of Creation of being cruel or capricious?
He does whatever He pleases and we cannot know why.

I think it would be enough to say that good cannot exist without evil.

no the quote is definitely attributing the argument to Epicurus. it is very possible that Epicurus never said such a thing but I think we can be sure from this that during the Roman Empire this was indeed an argument that people believed Epicurus to have made

The Islamic version seems to be that the test is meant for us to know, not for God to know. I.e. to know with proof and certainty our hierarchy in the tier of humanity.

Lactantius attributed it to Epicurus

"Or you think that you will enter Paradise without such (trials) as came to those who passed away before you? They were afflicted with severe poverty, ailments and were so shaken that even the Messenger and those who had faith with him said, 'When will the Help of Allah come?' Yes! Indeed Allah's help is close!" [Al-Qur'an 2:214]