I'm quite ignorant regarding Chinese history...

I'm quite ignorant regarding Chinese history, so I would like to be (((le redpilled))) on two historical memes I've heard about them.

1) I've heard that China is not a proper nation, but is more like if the Roman Empire had survived to the present day. Is this accurate?

2) How much damage did Mao and the Communists actually do to traditional Chinese culture?

>Chink
>Roman empire

Nice bait thread, Cheng

1. Somewhat true, although it's more of a proper nation than many nations. Chinese don't believe in race, they believe in culture.

2. The communists did quite a lot of damage, but more damage was done before the Communists. You could say the Communists are just in the latest in a series of tragedies befalling the Chinese. In particular, the Mongol invasions ended China's most prosperous era, the Song dynasty. The Manchu invasion eradicated probably a similar amount of Han Chinese culture as the Communist regime did, and Western imperialism during the Qing dynasty caused massive disillusionment with traditional Chinese culture which led many young revolutionaries to embrace Western ideas like democracy, nationalism, and communism.

When Chinese people think of "traditional" Chinese culture, they think of high points in Chinese history such as the Han, Tang, Song, and Ming eras. You should check those out if you're interested.

>1) I've heard that China is not a proper nation, but is more like if the Roman Empire had survived to the present day. Is this accurate?
In a sense. Historically the state that became China did not have a real concept of the nation-state (something that arose out of the Peace of Westphalia) as a nation tied to a state , rather the state was simply the center of civilization, and if you lived under the state and followed civilized (Confucian) practices and culture then you were a part of the civilization. Chinese nationalism (as in, the Nationalists i.e. the Kuomintang) was novel at the time of the Republic's founding.

The actual peoples who today live in China were of diverse languages, cultural practices, and genetic features. The flag of the early Republic of China was a banner of five colors representing the major ethnicities of the Han, Manchu, Mongol, Hui, and Tibetan. Even within the so-called "Han ethnicity", Mandarin is as different from Shanghainese as Spanish is from Italian, and to a well-traveled person a Cantonese native is as distinguishable from a Beijinger as a Sicilian is from a Swede.

>chinese don't believe in race
>go to china
>everyone is racist as fuck
Makes me think.

kill
your
self

Not cuz you're white, cuz you're a foreigner. They don't like ABC's either.

I believe he was talking about race between each other. Chinks from the south are just differently cultured chinks for chinks in the north, but i wouldn't be surprised if they are all racist towards le white devil

Every Chinese person I know are extremely racist towards non Chinese. They very much do believe in race.

It's an oversimplification, all it means is that in the past the definition of the "Chinese people" could expand to include other races in the region who Sinicized and joined Chinese culture and civilization. And everyone outside of China were varying degrees of barbarians. They are more racist against Indians than whites today because they see the Indians as more uncultured, and they see Africans as the most uncultured of all.

This was before Chinese nationalism.

>Chinese don't believe in race, they believe in culture

You are immensely stupid.

>They don't like ABC's either.
Because the European-born and American-born Chinese don't know shit about being Chinese. They don't speak the language, they don't know any of the history or culture, they think the food is disgusting, they don't respect their elders, and they look down on the Chinese. Just having the skin color isn't enough.

At least the SEA-born Chinese in e.g. Singapore and Malaysia know the language, celebrate the festivals, appreciate some of the history, eat the food, address their family properly, even if they look down on barbaric mainland rural bumpkins and the Communist Party.

What do they think of latinos? Or do they just not think about them because they don't come there?

I would imagine they would think something about any top-20 economy, so they must have some thoughts on Mexico and Spain.

Probably lump them in with whites along with the rest of Western Europe.

>1) I've heard that China is not a proper nation, but is more like if the Roman Empire had survived to the present day. Is this accurate?
China is a single country formed from a multiethnic former empire bigger than all of Western Europe put together, with a variety of languages and cultures to match. Even grouping all the "Han" together as one people is like if you tried grouping all the "white" people of Europe together. So yeah.

1) Kind of. More like if everyone who was under Roman rule still speak Latin and use their numerals and other culture. China is ethnically diverse as Europe
2) Qing culture isn't Chinese culture desu so not much was damaged anyway. FAN QING FU MING

Xenophobic at best

Kinda true. Chinese viewed their superiority on their culture. China was surrounded for a long time by tribal and nomadic nations that kept posing a menace to the empire. Every once in a while, one of these foreign cultures would take over China (Turk ethnicity/Tang Dynasty, Mongol/Yuan -not sure about that one-, Mandchou/Qing) but would gradually abandon in favor of the chinese's. So yes, China is constituted of multiples nations, with each of them keeping a few facets of their original cultures, but all of these nations merges into one big chinese nationalities.
Except for the Ouighours. They don't really fit in.

>2) How much damage did Mao and the Communists actually do to traditional Chinese culture?
Shit son. A fucking lot.

made in china
we fake and shitz

>Tang
>high point of Chinese culture
>3 year long genocide of all Chinese buddhists and destruction/looting of their temples

>Even grouping all the "Han" together as one people is like if you tried grouping all the "white" people of Europe together. This is a bad meme analogy.

Your average Russian is further in genetic structure from your average Basque, than a Jilin Han is from a Hubei Han.

Furthermore, the retards like you populating this thread seem to conflate ethnicity with "race" or genetics and not with culture/linguistic similarities.

>Shit son. A fucking lot.

Ahh yes because your average (average being starving, illiterate, rude, dying at 45) Sichuan village chinaman in 1966 was so culturally different from your average Sichuan village chinaman in 1969.

If you fucks actually read accounts of the changes in Chinese culture during the 20th century by the actual people that lived through it, you'd know that ALL of them state that modern consumer culture has done far more to destroy traditional China than any autistic 2-3 year revolution in the cities.

>Your average Russian is further in genetic structure from your average Basque, than a Jilin Han is from a Hubei Han.
Source on that?

Yes. There are few to no geographical boundaries like the Alps, Pyrenees, the English Channel, Baltic Sea, Carpathians, Adriatic, Mediterranean, etc. to divide province from province.

Imagine the French, Spanish and Italians living in the same country and communicating in written Latin. That's more or less how China worked up until the Qing period, when classical Chinese began to be thrown out.

The trouble with the Roman alphabet is that while it encourages flexible thinking, it is phonetic, and language drift eventually doomed even Italy itself to see Latin as a foreign language. The Italians have to remind themselves very hard that those people are their ancestors, and the French prefer to think of themselves as Gauls, since Gauls lived where the Romans colonised and now the French live where the Romans colonised, therefore the French are Gaulish. No sense of historical continuity.

The Chinese, meanwhile, can write the same words as Confucius, even as they give them sounds that he would never be able to recognise as the Chinese of his day.

>Shitty infographic
Yue from the Shang oracle bones has nothing to do with the Yu Yue of the Yangzi basin.

Identifying a non Sinitic language or substrate from Chu,Wu and Yue is playing with hypotheticals.

There's no evidence substrate loanwords in Min are actually Austroasiatic(Sagart).

>Your average Russian is further in genetic structure from your average Basque, than a Jilin Han is from a Hubei Han.
This has to do more with the ancestors of East Asians weren't as diverse as Europeans(Basal Eurasians vs Ancient North Eurasians etc.).

>muh contemporary strain of Chinese heavily influenced by Western ideas is indicative of how classical Chinese thought

Eurocentricucks pls go

China always considered themselves the most superior and looked down on the West, even during the imperial era.

B*ddhism is a dirty poo in loo religion that should not be tolerated.

That was the imperial court. The rest of China didn't give a fuck until quality of life started going downhill.

What's the problem?

I watched the Last Emperor last night, Puyi was based as fuck.

Chinese in different regions think of each other as people in a European country may think of other regions of their country.

North and South are practically different countries, and hate each other for different reasons throughout history.

To Chinese people, everyone who is not visibly Chinese and not born in China is a foreigner. You then have weird situations where Chinese people in American suburbs sometimes refer to white people as "foreigners".

They're tight together, they both share the same neighbourhoods all the time, at least on the west coast

Additionally if you ask them where they are from they will often identify by their ancestral homes, not where they grew up or where they were born.

What about Chinese in China?

I actually speak fluent mandarin, you clueless faggot.

It's astonishing how libcucks are so dumb they think race is a "western concept".

Skin color as the primary determinant of race, on the other hand...

You seem upset