Social Conservatism

Considering the heavy influence that Evangelicals have played in the politics of not only the Republican Party/conservative movement, but also the greater United States, as well as increased immigration from Latin America, that would result in a United States that is much more socially conservative than it is today?

More broadly, it seems like conservative sects of Christianity, especially "Evangelicalism" (whatever this term means, it just gets used a lot here in the US to describe right wing Christians but I've never understood the actual theological meaning behind it), are growing whereas more liberal sects are dying out.

With the combination of this growth in conservative Christian sects (i.e. Evangelicalism/Catholicism), could we see something along the lines of a Third Great Awakening anytime in the United States too?

Other urls found in this thread:

pri.org/stories/2012-03-27/evangelical-christianity-rise-catholic-mexico
christiantoday.com/article/more.catholics.embracing.evangelical.christianity.in.mexico.pope.francis.trying.to.stem.the.tide/79601.htm)
christianitytoday.com/ct/2015/june-web-only/korean-evangelicals-on-steroids.html).
christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2015/may/pew-evangelicals-stay-strong-us-religious-landscape-study.html
fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/evangelical-protestants-are-the-biggest-winners-when-people-change-faiths/
salon.com/2017/02/18/from-edmund-burke-to-mr-burns-in-the-age-of-trump-conservative-thought-has-died-at-last/
ontheissues.org/Celeb/Richard_Nixon_Abortion.htm).
youtube.com/watch?v=nYymnxoQnf8
youtube.com/watch?v=PEIrZO069Kg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>be conservative Christian
>vote for a man like Donald Trump

It's all an act.

Only strict Catholics vote overwhelmingly republican--that is to say a very small group of Catholics, maybe 10 or 20 percent. The rest vote mixed with slight edge to democrats. Mexican Catholics tend to vote democrat

>what is the Supreme Court

Trump would appoint conservative judges. He was a bit soft on LGBT issues, but he campaigned on a pro-life platform. Compared to the alternatives, I don't blame conservative Christians for voting for him.

An Evangelical Christian is simply a Christian who goes out every day and spreads the word of Christ and tries to convert people to Christianity. A lot of Americans call themselves Evangelicals although they in actuality aren't. To be an Evangelical you have to actively attempt to convert people every single day, although only about 5% of "Evangelicals" are real Evangelicals.

these sects as a whole are on the decline in america. young people are leaving evangelicalism in droves, baptisms/conversions are down, and the influx of hispanics has not slowed down the mass exodus of catholics.

Catholic Mexicans don't tend to vote Democrat because they're Catholic. They vote Democrat because they mostly live in cities which are liberal hotspots.

What about Evangelicals though? They're increasing in Mexico (pri.org/stories/2012-03-27/evangelical-christianity-rise-catholic-mexico and christiantoday.com/article/more.catholics.embracing.evangelical.christianity.in.mexico.pope.francis.trying.to.stem.the.tide/79601.htm) and in other parts of the globe as well (christianitytoday.com/ct/2015/june-web-only/korean-evangelicals-on-steroids.html).

Mexican Catholics may vote Democrat, but why would a piece of legislation like Prop 8 get passed in California, arguably a major center for the Latino population in the US and US liberalism?

Hence the second part of my question- could we have a Third Great Awakening at some point as well, if people choose to become more conservative religiously.

christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2015/may/pew-evangelicals-stay-strong-us-religious-landscape-study.html

Evangelicals have held steady at 1 in 4 Americans.

fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/evangelical-protestants-are-the-biggest-winners-when-people-change-faiths/

>salon.com/2017/02/18/from-edmund-burke-to-mr-burns-in-the-age-of-trump-conservative-thought-has-died-at-last/
Conservatives btfo

so living in a liberal city automatically makes you liberal? really makes you think...

Never said that, but theres a reason that cities like Chicago have had Democrat mayors for forever. Political indoctrination and pandering to minorities.

Nixon's tenure saw the passage of Roe v. Wade and he himself cared little for abortion (ontheissues.org/Celeb/Richard_Nixon_Abortion.htm). Less than a decade later, you had Reagan rile up the Evangelicals to the point where they practically run the Republican Party. The fact that prior to Trump, Republicans could appeal to pretty much socially conservative whites and be a national party speaks volumes about their influence in the country.

You probably posted it ironically, but holy fuck is that article terrible.

>implying William F. Buckley was a polite cuck

He called Gore Vidal a queer and said he'd punch him in the face on live television, fuck off.

>Southern Strategy
This was a myth. Nixon played to all working class whites, not just those in the South. The South just happened to be part of the coalition he built. Georgia still voted blue into 1992. Have you seen an electoral map from 1972?

>Blowhard Steve Bannon is running strategy for the White House

Funny how conservative administrations always get demonized for having policy advisors. Karl Rove and Cheney under Bush and now Bannon under Trump. I guess that's why Breitbart just put articles attacking Trumpcare on its front page, right?

>neoconservative old guard
This word has no fucking meaning whatsoever. It just gets used as a straw man by liberals and opponents of Republicans to tarnish party members.

>attacking the Flight 93 election metaphor
Liberals literally compared Bush and Trump to Hitler as a major talking point.

That's not what he meant. Immigrants mostly head to large cities, which are usually liberal environments. As they assimilate, they assimilate with liberal people among them- they learn to hate Fox News and that Republicans hate Latinos. Granted, Republicans haven't really been great at PR, but it doesn't really change the fact that Latinos aren't socially conservative/religious.

He called Buckley a pseudo-intellectual fraud.

It's a myth that he was some kind of New England elite intellectual though, he commonly expressed disdain for those kinds of people.

"I am obliged to confess I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University."

"The largest cultural menace in America is the conformity of the intellectual cliques which, in education as well as the arts, are out to impose upon the nation their modish fads and fallacies, and have nearly succeeded in doing so. In this cultural issue, we are, without reservations, on the side of excellence (rather than "newness") and of honest intellectual combat (rather than conformity)."

Listen to the debate on that last point: youtube.com/watch?v=nYymnxoQnf8

>"Some people would call them Nazi and the answer is that they were well treated by people who ostracized them and I'm for ostracizing people who egg on other people to shoot American marines and American soldiers."
*both speaking over each other*
>"As far as I'm concerned, the only crypto-Nazi I can think of is yourself"
*both speaking over each other*
>""Now listen, you queer, stop calling me a crypto-Nazi, or I'll nail you in the goddamn face and you'll stay plastered."

Here's another link where he jokes about punching Noam Chomsky in the face: youtube.com/watch?v=PEIrZO069Kg

I find on YouTube that a lot of liberals seem to not learn the moral to do on to other what you would have them do on to you

>pro-life
>also pro-war

>pro-choice
>anti-war
?????

Don't ask how it makes sense, it's due to a different fundamental view on the value of life. The short version is that conservatives want to protect what could be in the form of to-be-born life, and that liberals want to protect what is in the form of life already living, despite some additional nuance being to it.

Pretty much the only group I know who are overtly anti-war and pro-life is the official Catholic response on the matter, but even within its ranks you find a lot of people who hold their own beliefs on the matter.

>but it doesn't really change the fact that Latinos aren't socially conservative/religious.
see, as you say yourself, this is the reason that latinos vote democratic, location is only a small part of that answer. if the hispanics were, indeed, very catholic, then you wouldn't see this happening. anyway, a large minority of hispanics voted for trump anyway, so we'd have to look at the demographics to see where these people lived in order to come up with an accurate answer. "muh librul cities" is a cop out.

I think you have to all realize people wind up with more than one affilitation and place different emphasis on each "group" they belong to. For instance, a Mexican-American may be Catholic, but they might also belong to a class of poorer working people that would be helped out by additional economic policies providing relief to the poor. Or you might have an IVY League student who despite belonging to a very liberal social circle still holds conservative or traditionalist ideals at heart due to his upbringing or family. Sometimes these identities come into conflict because people don't always fit neatly into a single category.

This is exacerbated by the two party system within America, which forces voters to choose a party that doesn't always match their ideals completely.

Fine, would you prefer anti-abortion? God the left is full of insufferable fucks. So "pro-life" for Bill Clinton to let the Rwandan genocide happen, right?

I'm just trying to frame it for the non-initiated. The comment usually infuriates me, dating all the way back to when I was 17 and fresh in college and I heard a professor remark, "Yeah, the conservatives are usually pro-life but for the death penalty, which makes no sense," without any mention of the hypocrisy of the other side. Even 15 years later, I'm still upset, because it was my first taste of noticeable political bias in a classroom setting.

>Trump
>pro war
You're a special kind of fuckhead. Trump is the main reason why WW3 against Russia haven't started yet.

Nah Mexicans vote Democrat because the Dems have made it clear that they are ready to hand our entire fucking country over to "minorities" and spics, being the largest group of those minorities, will lap that shit up, because that places them firmly in the lead to take control of America.

>trump supporters will keep telling themselves this

Truth prevails.

>forgetting about the Syria crisis this fast