Judges

What would change if we replace Law Enforcement and Lawyers and the Judiciary system with Judges?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gong'an_fiction
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well, for starters, all of the civil law system, which is the far greater amount of cases, would fall apart. You kind of need judges and lawyers for that.

In the second, what would actually be gained? Crime problems, at least in the contemporary U.S., aren't a result of being unable to catch and sentence criminals, they're primarily because they can't effectively process criminals once caught. I'm not sure how Judge Dredd style enforcement gains anything.

The Judge system goes a long way towards preventing recidivism.

No, the prison system where you're shipped off to a stasis cube off-planet but are then given a second societal chance once you've done your sentence prevents recidivism. (in fiction, anyway, whether or not it would work in real life is debateable) Merging the police and judicial departments while completely eliminating due process does jack shit to prevent recidivism.

>Merging the police and judicial departments while completely eliminating due process does jack shit to prevent recidivism

False premise. There is no case study to work from. You're talking about your opinion and nothing more.

If you're only going to allow case studies and not thought experiments, then you've got the same problem. What exactly about the judge system goes a long way towards preventing recidivism, and what are you using to demonstrate that?

I'm a different poster and I don't really advocate for the Judge system either.

But one has to admit that in places like Chicago with 80 murders in one single weekend America has pretty much surrendered to black crime.

They have their killing fields and as long as they stay in them everything is fine.

Remember, they spent all of 2015 and 2016 telling America they don't want cops in their neighborhoods anymore.

So we either agree that we have a tiered legal system and accept it or we let the leash off of Law enforcement.

>But one has to admit that in places like Chicago with 80 murders in one single weekend America has pretty much surrendered to black crime.

No, the city of Chicago has surrendered to black (and other) forms of crime. I used to practice defense law in Chicago, and after moving out east, working with the different police departments is nothing at all like it is in the Windy City. And even then it's not exactly surrender so much as "The police department can't find its ass with both hands".

But in any case, Mega-City One also has no-go zones for the Judges. The Undercity is probably the most prominent.

>So we either agree that we have a tiered legal system and accept it or we let the leash off of Law enforcement.

The problem isn't the "leash on law enforcement", the problem is that once you do have these guys, the city can't afford to keep them locked up so is constantly looking for excuses to let them go early, the parole system is a fucking joke. But I at least never was short for work, the cops did keep bringing people in. But they couldn't keep them in, and if you have the same sorts of pressures that real life Chicago has applied to Mega-City One, you're going to have similar problems. When your jails are overflowing and your government is broker than broke, shortening the legal process helps you how exactly?

What about the prison system where you're sent to an exile planet

>No, the prison system where you're shipped off to a stasis cube off-planet but are then given a second societal chance once you've done your sentence prevents recidivism.

However, that isn't really a practical option here today. Furthermore, you can alter the prison,parole,sentencing, and rehabilitation system without merging the role of judge, jury, and policeman.

If you get executed for the slightest infraction there won't be many repeat offenders.

You don't get executed for the slightest infraction in the Dredd comics. You get executed for resisting arrest, which happens an absurdly frequent amount of the time, but it's not like people who violently resist arrest in our day and age can look forward to a ripe old age either.

THE PROBLEM WITH HUMANS

Every possible mechanism that can be exploited for social prestige and gain, will be exploited.

Judges would be more corrupt than any modern day police officer.

That's a curse of god, to condemn judges who also want to be kings.

Hence Judges are their own caste. Chosen from orphanages and subjected to aptitude tests they are indoctrinated from a very young age and live cloistered from the regular population. They are literally bred for the duty to the rest of the citizens.

You gotta realize something. Just one thing. Judge Dredd is fascism in it's very purest form. It's always been meant to be satire of the fascist ideal.

All Judge Dredd comics (and you should check) have an obvious giveaway Easter egg.

The light reflection in Dredd's facemask is always double lightning bolts.

Look for yourself.

See? Lightning bolt eyes.

Never mind the fascist eagle shoulder armor.

And again

>Hence Judges are their own caste. Chosen from orphanages and subjected to aptitude tests they are indoctrinated from a very young age and live cloistered from the regular population. They are literally bred for the duty to the rest of the citizens.

Ahh one of my "favorite" scenarios

If you want something like that, find a way to retard aging and put prospective candidates in life simulators.

If you've lived a thousand lives where you fight and win and fight and die....

Well if you're "woken" up out of the cube, for a thousand and first time, there's no discontinuity between the simulated world and the 'real' world.

>fuse judicial and excutive branch into one power
This is how authoritarian institutions like the gestapo and ICE came into power

Oh you raging commie. Comparing Immigration and Customs Enforcement to the Gestapo.

I hate you lawless nobodies so much. You wrap yourself in false moral superiority.

>If you get executed for the slightest infraction there won't be many repeat offenders.

There won't be a labor force left either.

>When your jails are overflowing and your government is broker than broke, shortening the legal process helps you how exactly?
When a Judge has the authority to execute criminals on the spot, the jails will cease to overflow.
:3

yep

Which will have the effect of further decreasing crime rates through reduced violations of employment legislation and other work-related criminality.

But Judges do not have that authority, excepting insofar as the crimes in question have the death penalty; very few are, some even state that Mega-City one doesn't practice the death penalty (the comic is not entirely consistent with this). They merely capture and sentence right then and there, and the usual sentence in the overwhelming majority of cases is a stay in an iso-cube for some length of time.

Judges execute criminals for violently resisting arrest, which actually gets you shot quite often in real life too.

It'll also make everyone poor.

>you raging lawless commie

Here you can see the corporate indoctrination take effect, as the consumer confuses libertarianism for lawlessness and in an act of self-replicating propaganda dismisses libertarian values as communist, the common enemy to his prosperity.
This kind of self/censorship is what keeps the mechanistic wage-consumer in line with the sociopathic and authoritarian values they need to function properly.

Oh enlightened one, tell us all the story of Fuck Laws and Borders again!

I don't care about real laws. I'm capable of distinguishing between what is right and wrong all by myself. Stop telling people to do what you are told, that moral slave mentality needs to fuck off.
Borders aren't the problem they are a symptom of the delusional belief of property ownership.

You're not fit to be a judge until you've been trained from infant age, so it will take 20 years or so before the first judges could start.

Less Muslims and blacks

Now you mention it, it is interesting how often people would rather face certain death by shooting it out with the Judges than go to the Cubes, even if in conjunction with fairly minor crimes

>The light reflection in Dredd's facemask is always double lightning bolts.

Holy shit. What has been seen, cannot be unseen.

Millions of trained unemployed policemen.

it'll take twenty years to get Judges on the street, most current cops will be close to retirement age

The current cops and those that are hired will know the date their job ends, they'll have plenty of time to find new jobs. Hell, desk jobs are always needed

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gong'an_fiction

Judge D(redd) is just a rip off of Chinese Judge Dee.

Cops would be shot on sight until we ran out.

Seriously, you put a man in front of me who doesn't have the bureaucracy of the courts backing him, who is an elite without numbers to back him, arm him with a handgun and a vest that doesn't stop rifle fire, and make it so that he WILL kill me or put me in solitary for even the most minor offense, and i'm shooting on sight.

Pistol vs long gun. He's going to lose the majority of the time against even a mediocre shot.

See above. Rifle comes out of trunk, cop dies. On sight. Half my state would do this. All of the ex military I know would do this.

fucking THIS....

take away their tool of deescalation and you get a lot of dead LEOs.

you'd get no-one willing to be cops either...

Even as is, they tend to get wrecked someone who isn't utterly unhinged decides to kill them. You CAN'T be a good cop and devote a lot of your time on the clock to shooting, much less actually training for a fight. The budget is impossible and there aren't enough hours in the day. Lower their numbers and make them more expensive and the once-or less a year qual shoot of a paltry 200 rounds will become even more pathetic.

For refence. ~400 rounds is a lazy 45 minutes of range time for me, and that's if I haul a lot of shit with and dick around with different guns.

Civilian into courses in the area tell you to expect to fire ~600 rounds.

Britain could get away with judges. American judges would cease to exist in short order. Cops survive as is because most cops are pleasant people who aren't usually going to fuck your life up unless you're being utterly retarded.

Poverty is relative, user, especially in the post-scarcity world of the 2000AD comics. If everyone had the same level of income then it's very personification to say everyone is poor - you may as will say that everyone is rich.

>delusional belief of property ownership
Then who owns everything? The State? The earth belongs to all? There are not enough people that believe this or ever will believe your inane theories about property. People have to be governed, if they're not bound by threats of violence from authority then they will become violent, or the violent authority. That's what laws are, and they are necessary to keep people from going nuts