College, University, and Education - /cue/

A thread for the discussion future, current, and previous education experience and questions

>what programs are worth pursuing
>what programs you are currently in
>do you feel education has improved your success outcome

doctor is good

pretty much everything else trash and should be avoided

I attend online university so it's considerably less expensive but I am still not sure if it's worth it; I got an associates in IT and I am not sure if it's worth continuing considering that I can get better education from a MOOC or simply self-learning. Thinking about going in for a certification or something. Not sure if I should complete my bachelors or not. Advice is appreciated.

What are some good jobs to pursue in the business field? MIS and accounting are good right?

I fear it's too late for me to get an engineering degree

PnD in Economics
300k starting

>spend 3 years at a no-name college getting an advanced diploma as a Electrical Technologist
>no jobs and industry is in a slump

I'm worried that i'm going to spend the rest of my life terminating wires as I wont be able to climb the job ladder as an electrical engineer would be able to do. I have the opportunity to continue my learning and become an electrical engineer but it would be an additional 2.5 years and the university is ranked 64th in the country.

Should I cut my losses and apply to a reputable school and go in for finance or economics or finish off the engineering and hope a company will hire me even though the school isnt high ranked? I'd like to start my own business but I don't have the capital to get anything off the ground as of yet

Any advice would be appreciated

You can learn a lot from MOOCs and it is great that you are learning something. Almost zero hiring managers give a flying fuck about your MOOC credentials, though. Use this infornation however you wish.

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm planning on getting a bachelors in finance. Does anyone have experience with the finance job market? What kind of work can I feasibly expect to get after graduation? I'm a 4.0 student with an impressive sales resume.

is it weird to apply for an internship if you've never even had a paid part time job before?

>STEM,doc law
>currently in 3rd year of organic chemistry
>masters in chem engineering

who knows I might never get hired brehs

Not at all

Is physician assistant acceptable? I'd rather just do two more years instead of 7 tbqhdesufam

>I fear it's too late for me to get an engineering degree

Why?

Is economics a worthwhile degree to pursue? What else is good if you don't want to go STEM? Law maybe but what else are there?

"Finance" is an incredibly broad term with an equal breadth of job markets.

At the highest level, IB, portfolio mgmt, etc are incredibly competitive. A 4.0 in undergrad (unless you're at an Ivy) is almost definitely not going to be enough to get you started there. At the lowest level, places like Northwestern Mutual or AXA will hire any moron with a pulse. I got offered a job at AXA and the interviewer literally told me he didn't recommend taking it and that I was "too smart" for the job.

I'm a CFA charterholder, and if you're interested in taking a job in any investment related field I would highly recommend taking level 1 in your last year of school.

I went to a two year program to get my license to work on aircraft, 5 years later I make 100k with really good benefits and there's something new to do everyday. Trades are poppin off right now

College is a fucking joke.

t.someone who got a full ride; now I dropped out to start a business.

Follow your passion, user.

Explain further. What is your business, how did you start it?

Studying to be an actuary. Pretty high floor and huge potential

My recommendation is to major in computer science and learn Java, C#, Go, and Python very well. You're guaranteed a job then.

I stupidly majored in Neuroscience and got rejected to a PhD program I applied to. I may go back and get a computer science degree, but I really dislike doing higher math.

I do not recommend going into the medical field. I have heard too many horror stories about it, and you will get into deep debt with an extremely high volume of studying. You won't have free time for leisure for a looong time.

I'm going into marine engineering this fall. Decent salary with 0% taxrate possible in my country. Working on a boat also mean you're off work half the days of the year, so lots of time for side project.

As someone who has also had a job terminating wires, listen here. You need to find a better job in a machine shop or a welding shop RIGHT NOW. If you wait long you'll be too late. Your degree is worthless and you might as well get any old skilled trades job because at least it pays more than a factory

Do not fall for the STEM meme

or at least avoid degrees like Ecology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biology, Chemistry, etc. Even certain times of engineering have become useless.

Not a bad choice. Do you have an internship lined up yet?

Not yet, I'm taking two exams this summer so hopefully next summer

Sounds like you know the score. Apply early and often.

are you an actuary? What do you do?

What's wrong with biochem/molecular bio? I know you pretty much need a phd to even get a foot in the door for a decent job, but I've been considering it since biology has always been a passion of mine and something I loved to learn about both in and out of a classroom. Is it still possible to get a research job in bio, even if the pay isn't too great?

My mother was an actuary. She started in the field in about 1965. My father is a mathematician, but he did other things. I'm also a mathematician, and I did other things as well.

pump and dump in economics?
retarded?

I graduate HS on the 22nd and I start at uni in the fall, majoring in finance.

>What's wrong with biochem/molecular bio? I know you pretty much need a phd to even get a foot in the door

thats the problem. You don't do those degrees unless you are smart and capable enough to go all the way through with a phd

speaking from experience btw. have a biochem undergrad currently working on getting my way into a water treatment facility

Bullshit. Even an MBA from Harvard will only pay ~150k starting

I'm an economics major and premed. I have no idea what the hell I would do if I don't become a doctor.

Do you want to be a doctor's bitch your entire life? I'm not in medical, but I figure those years are worth it.

You're not going to be making 300k a year as a lawyer unless you go to a top 14 school. Business will make you good money as will economist. But as others say, do what you like.

This guy is right.

It's super easy to get to low-level finance jobs that are paying pretty ok (you can have comfy life and a 9-5 job). However if you want to work in high-level finance you need to have either great network, great education or great background.

Btw I'm from Europe and it's kind of different here. Basically almost every American banker I met/work with has Ivy-league background. In Europe on the other hand people have crazy backgrounds. Some are from UK schools or French Grand Ecoles, other graduated some technical university in Poland or Ukraine.

Well I've talked to a couple practicing p.a's and you're not really a doctor's bitch, you just need the m.ds signature on certain prescriptions. My old neighbor told me you're way better off and work much less, and I don't really wanna do an extra 5 years of school.

Tech venture... i taught myself the tech needed online and made what I wanted. I made a proof of concept work.

I'm on it fulltime now, but it's been here and there for the last 2 years. I decided to drop out this year because school distracts me and makes me do menial shit.

I haven't made money yet, but I had a promising grant interview. I've also taken my product to shows and people love it. I've won $3k in pitch contests.

I basically just went to a google startup weekend and pitched my idea. No one joined me though. The director of the business incubator hosting it was really impressed, offered me to volunteer, then a job. Now I can't work since I am not a student. They're giving me me own cubicle until I'm making profit.

Just do it. Own it. Apply for grants and business accelerators. Win pitch contests.

I still feel like a fucking loser despite this success. Entrepreneurship is lonely. Also everyone will fucking tear you down and tell you to go back to school until you start making waves.

>programs worth pursuing
whatever helps you get the career you want. if you don't know what you want but you know you want money, you can't go wrong with comp sci

>programs currently in
government major trying to tack on econ or business

>do you feel education has improved your success outcome
certainly

I started cs degree and i quit it after one semester. Today I'm learning IT on a online University.
I'm doing cryptos and doing well. I still don't know if the academic field is for me from the first place. My advice to you is to be 100% sure that your degree will give you real life tools for your future job

Masters in structural/offshore constructions, a-am I going to make it?????

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Finishing a russian literature university. Thinking of umping onto MBA post graduate studies or international relations...

i want to build oil wells with you