ITT: Things that trigger Veeky Forums

ITT: Things that trigger Veeky Forums

Katana are superior to longswords.

Simply not true. The Japanese were good swordsmiths but they just simply did not have the metals Europe did.

Within two minutes, hot damn.

Unironically

>>r/communism

This is all true.

>this kills the jared diamondcucks

Remove that shit inmedietly by the name of god, you protestant piece of shit.

Its true though

Not my point.

Why does Guns Germs and Steel trigger Veeky Forumstards? After all, it is the ultimate redpill.

montezuma was unironically a good person

I think people are just grasping at straws. I read it as a required reading for AP World History my Junior year of high school and again in college, and I thought it was a pretty good synthesis. It's not without its flaws, but it was something different to consider.

History is a useless subject with no application in society, anyone one who choices it over STEM is a nu-male cuck

I want to teach

The book is built on a few pretty wild assumptions about Europe being super unique with a combination of things like arable land, domesticable livestock, and so on.

When in reality that combination exists on basically every continent Antarctica and Australia, which are ice worlds and deathworlds respectively

I once took a poverty and global inequality course which had a main theme that the "global north" was able to develop faster than the global south because of soil composition, IIRC they specifically mentioned Europe and Mesopotamia, is this all bullshit?

he had some good ideas and intentions

Because Diamond handwaves away history in favor of his thesis. It's not accepted academically, yet for some reason it still finds its way into academia. The cult of acceptance surrounding the book never ceases to amaze me.

>Europe is in winter for half the year
>why don't we all starve and freeze to death?

Personally, I think GG&S is a pretty good book. Not GREAT, but pretty good. The problem is that it's just One Book. The capital letters are important there.

The difference between one book and One Book is that when people read one book on a complex subject, they come away thinking they've absorbed one book's worth of material about it. When people read One Book on a subject, they think they've read all the useful information there is to know about it, ever.

It's not Diamond's fault, but there's practically nothing more damaging to a field than a pretty good One Book.

Other fair-to-good One Books include The Elegant Universe, Freakonomics, and any book by Richard Dawkins. Not included: Sperm Wars, which, although it is One Book, is shitty.

This might be the least articulate post I have ever written.

Because Jared Diamond isn't even a fucking historian, he's a goddamn geography professor and ex-physiologist

I just think Diamond is a hypocrite, he wrote a paper suggesting Israel use genetic testing to establish who is a real Jew and not, but he adopts genetic denialism in GG&S.

>useless

Even if you're right-wing, half the problem of young westerners being these alienated, atomized individuals is because white people these days have zero understanding of their roots - because they weren't taught their history in any systematic way.

History helps give a sense of place. It's true engineering is more practical, but saying that a healthy nation shouldn't impart its young with a sense of how they came to be and why they are what they are is nonsense.

There was a time in my country where every young kid learned about Greece, Rome, Iron Age Britain, Sub-Roman period, Middle Ages, Northern Renaissance etc.

These days they're taught about WW2 for about 4 terms and then randomly taught about random non-white tribes like Amerindians.

The historical truth is useless and sometimes even harmful. What matters is what common people actually believe and what values are instilled into their mind.

History itself just is one of the tools to shape the mind of the masses, not a search for the "Truth".
So, there's nothing wrong with teaching myths as long as you do it for a pragmatic reason.

Both of these posts I found useful, and made me glad that I visited Veeky Forums today. Thank you.

he had exacty one good idea and no good intentions

so is it false that american natives didn't have domesticatable animals?
i studied mayan history exstensibly in school and never once did i read anything about them having animals.

extensively*

>The book is built on a few pretty wild assumptions about Europe
Its not. Its just recognizing the cultural size of Western Europa, and again it builds on why Western Europa load the colonization, even if Southeren Europa got a amazing headstart.
Its also recognizng why Slavs are shit as a people, the social role of jews in socities, and why Scandinavia remained largely irrelevant.

>implying the ancient Greeks and Romans had a concept of whiteness
>claiming the achievements of distant nations as your own because you believe they had a similar phenotype to your own

why are racecucks so spooked lel

It's not a pretty good book. He bases his assumption on flawed history and disregards it in favor of his thesis. There's a reason every academic review shreds the book. The man unironically claims that Africa had no large domesticable animals and that the reason China failed is because of a lack of internal conflict. Both of these are patently false and even a minute amount of research destroys him. The only things he got right were regarding Native Americans and even then he refers to them as a cohesive group instead of a vastly differentiated grouping of peoples.

Alpaca, llamas, turkeys, javelinas. For transportation of goods, they generally used human slaves.

Yes, there's totally nothing wrong with censoring history and replacing it with disinformation to brainwash the masses for the Greater Good. We would establish a "Ministry of Truth" for this. They could enforce "thought crimes" for anyone who objects. Then we can begin whitewashing slavery, the native American genocide, the Holocaust, etc. We could replace historically significant white males with non-whites and females so the "lesser peoples" could feel they contributed to shaping society. This would increase unity.

Pretty sure you win this thread.

I actually completely understand this, I've seen it happen to a lot of my colleagues