Why has a bride's virginity traditionally been prized and when did this cultural practice end?

Why has a bride's virginity traditionally been prized and when did this cultural practice end?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1ikXim4wevc
youtube.com/watch?v=qk_VwZxN9bA
youtube.com/watch?v=efRRknDAuHc
youtube.com/watch?v=FywOhaY-GEA
youtube.com/watch?v=ZhaLDYo0Kl8
youtube.com/watch?v=qTi1FZkoEsM
youtube.com/watch?v=86PL9wueH-s
youtube.com/watch?v=TLoUq8vybzY
youtube.com/watch?v=t_Qpy0mXg8Y
youtube.com/watch?v=-RkZXZx6HCI
creation.com/
icr.org/
trueorigin.org/
answersingenesis.org/
creationwiki.org/Main_Page
evidentcreation.com/TRM-Logerr.html
davelivingston.com/tableofcontents.htm
bible.ca/archeology/bible-archeology.htm
newgeology.us/presentation32.html
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because God made it so you have to get married before having sex.

Sex is a sacred act between husband and wife.

If its sacred then why did he make Joseph a cuck?

Because men generally don't want to risk the chance of raising another man's baby.

>when did this cultural practice end?

I wasn't aware that it had.

Do you know how hard it was to find a virgin in the middle east?

It's nice to know your partner has you as their first. Strangely enough, we can only know for the woman though due to some quirk of biology.

It's a shame a woman doesn't have a similar indicator on men (Snide "she'll know" jokes aside), but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometime. I would argue, in a way, the scarcity of virginity before marriage has caused a rise in value of virgin brides, just like market forces on anything else.

Joseph had children with Mary.

Try reading the Bible instead of regurgitating Catholic memes.

Thread should have ended here.

risks of bastards screwing up inheritances aside. you didn't want to risk getting a disease.

/thread

any other answer is wrong

It's still around for a lot of people. Especially on Veeky Forums.

T. Muhammads

>Talking to coworker, he's 52 and just got remarried.
>His bride was a 34 year old virgin, smoking hot.

I guess being the daughter of a pastor had an effect on her, lucky him.

Historically the point of marriages were to have children and continue a bloodline/join two family's by blood. So the best way to ensure that any offspring the wife has is also the husband's biologically and not a bastard, it is best for the bride to be a virgin. That way she couldn't pull a fast one on you and already be pregnant before the marriage. Trying to prevent bastards is also why many royal men in many cultures had their wives forbidden to be around any other men besides eunuchs.

Its not as prized in western culture any more because:
1. Now marriage is more about "Love" rather than formal contracts between families. No need to double check for the hymen.
2. Contraceptives allow people to have more sex without risk of pregnancy. people fuck all the time now its hard to stop them.
3. Less people have a need for legitimate heirs, so its not a problem if you raise a step child. no one cares about bastards anymore.

I disagree with your first point.
Marriage now a days is less about love, it's more about getting one's dick wet.

Who hurt you?

Because then you know you haven't been cuckolded, also stops STDs.
Basically dynastical inheritance was more important than anything.
Sexual revolution started to end this culture because MUH EMPOWERED WOMEN for choking on 10 thai aids dicks at 30

>no one cares about bastards anymore.
speak for yourself buddy
The thought of any man being genuinely able to say to me "lol how's your wife and my kid?" makes my stomach turn.

to me the more interesting question is why the hymen exists from a biological standpoint

The funny thing is that people like you end up sad and alone until you're over 40 and you marry a twice divorced woman with 2 kids.

Seal of quality.

>Why has a bride's virginity traditionally been prized
STDs
>when did this cultural practice end?
modern medicine and condoms

No it's about love which is honestly one of the shallow and fleeting reasons to get married. Likely why marriages don't last.

if you have nothing add then just don't talk

It was a joke you absolute autist.

The funny thing is that people like you wind up twice divorced and sad and alone with nothing but cats.

general rule of thumb is that a joke is supposed to be funny

It's just a butthurt roastie mad that nobody wants to pay for a bottle of cough syrup with a broken tamper seal.

I laughed you fucking autist.

To make sure the kids are yours

Because how else do you prove the kid is yours if she's been fucking every dick that walks past and there are no DNA tests?

could someone explain the captions on the image? I don't get it

>God cucked Joseph
>it's OK though because he was fine with the cucking and got to fuck her too

From left to right:
>you're waifu
>you're mama
>you're sister
>you're brother
>my waifu

But that's because you're a boorish troglodyte

not an argument

man not like other man to fuck wife

>we can only know for the woman though due to some quirk of biology
we cant

pro tip: there is no such thing as "the hymen" in that sense. what can happen is that some women who are extra tight - most often due to not being aroused - bleed due to a tearing. nothing "disappears". a gynecologist couldn't discover virginity, it is not a thing.
and by some women i do mean SOME. a minority. most do not bleed their first time. some may bleed their 6th time, if they were less aroused that time.
i.e. YOU CANNOT TELL

Also, that picture... where to start. This shows a rare medical condition. i encourage you to google this if you want a trip. imagine: what happens to "Kino"'s menstruations? answer: they build up within her. there's nice medical videos out there of women with this [ultra-rare] condition having surgery by cutting a slit there, and seeing all those years of menstruation blood flooding out. it's a sight you won't forget.

Even today most men would prefer to marry a virgin (although they might not admit it). And for good reason.

>although they might not admit it
Only white people are cucked enough not to demand a virgin wife

That woman has had a multitude of cocks up her asshole.

Obligatory:
youtube.com/watch?v=1ikXim4wevc

> Even today some men are sexually insecure enough to prefer to marry a virgin (although they might not admit it).
ftfy

So why don't men have some kind of hymen too?

But the hymen doesn't stop you having sex before marriage

t. cuck

Even if the article is true, it means nothing to anyone who isn't an insecure retard.

>insecure retard
t. roastie

Do you think your mom married as a virgin? Let me tell you, friend, she did not. If this is true, you possibly carry DNA from multiple males as well. Do you think you are a mongrel? Do you think your father would be right in disowning you?

Your wife is not some whore you pick up on the street she is your property meaning your penis is the only penis that should ever be in her.

What would a hymen taste like?

You're implying I'm white. Let me put your mind to rest, I am not white and in fact, I am Muslim.

Unlike your degenerate western culture, we place a high value on the integrity of women. The womans family keeps a close eye on their girls throughout her life. Before marrying, the man and his family speak to the community to learn about the womans reputation - if she's a used goods slut, this WILL be found out and she will never marry.

I still don't understand why don't /pol/ just convert to Islam en masse.

Thousands of years of personal experience with relationships passed on as tradition

Let me put your mind to rest, you are white and not a Muslim. If you were, you would not have used the vocab of a stormfag. Maybe you should place high value on the integrity of your shitposting if you want others to believe it.

>1. Now marriage is more about "Love" rather than formal contracts between families. No need to double check for the hymen.
That just makes it more valuable. How can someone be able to devote themselves fully to another person and have a strong emotional bond when you're used to throwing people away like dirty socks the minute you're bored with them?

>Detailed Documentary Exposing Islam (3 hours)
youtube.com/watch?v=qk_VwZxN9bA

>Muhammad the World's Most Evil Man?
youtube.com/watch?v=efRRknDAuHc

>Evidence Muhammad was Demon Possessed
youtube.com/watch?v=FywOhaY-GEA

>Original Sources Koran Stole its Stories From
youtube.com/watch?v=ZhaLDYo0Kl8

>Allah in Quran = Satan in Bible
youtube.com/watch?v=qTi1FZkoEsM
youtube.com/watch?v=86PL9wueH-s
youtube.com/watch?v=TLoUq8vybzY

>Why We Are Afraid, A 1400 Year Secret
youtube.com/watch?v=t_Qpy0mXg8Y

Mohammed (piss be upon him) is currently burning in hell.

>Falling for that meme, on Veeky Forums no less.

>Facts are meme
Whatever you say, Akhmed.

You tell me that woman, only a woman sees marriage as a extortion scam men see marriage as a bond, women see it as bragging rights, muslims were right women really are human shit compared to men.

The very definition of triggered

/pol/ and stormfront is an extremely diverse and culturally rich.

>You tell me that woman
What?

Apparently muslim civil wars are "muslim conquests".

Ya might need to check your facts a bit, before you start calling them that.

Vague information for the most part and a great example of how you can use misleading statistics to justify an agenda by equating correlation with causation.Throw in a few other factors and check for multicollinearity, then draw conclusions.
Just a few examples: 12 is an incredibly early age for sex. Girls who lose virginity in that age are most likely from really fucked up families and thus are more likely to have shit lives.
0 non-marital sexual partners imply being from a very traditionalist background. These women are also much more likely to be simpler, more ignorant and with lower expectations and thus, happier. That does not mean that this is an example to be followed.

Apart from that, this is more of a testiment to the characteristics of the women in question. Modern American women can be very shallow, yes. This is not a statement on the entire concept on promiscuity.

There are TONS of Muslims on /pol/

>Muslims kill Muslims
>Muslims kill Infidels

Islam is bad for everyone. It's a political movement disguised as a religion. Take away the religious aspect and you have Communism.

You are an absolute idiot. Literally any google search combination of the words "promiscuity" along with "mental health", "psychology" and "happiness" is enough for anyone to realise how you're pretty much trying to play devil's advocate with shitty non-arguments and grasping of straws.

>It's a political movement disguised as a religion
There's no disguise needed. Religions have never been more in Europe/Russia/MENA than identities and politics.

youtube.com/watch?v=-RkZXZx6HCI
Lewis agrees.

I'm not even promoting promiscuity. And this is not an argument. It's just that statistics can be decieving as they usually show you a correlation between two things and if you are unexperienced with them, you can see them as a causation. See the crime rate - race studies which are rendered meaningless by statistics on race-wealth and weatlh-crime. Also, if your populations are big enough, you can get literally any results.This might have not played a part in these, but using these cheap images to vilify women who don't marry as virgins is despicable.

le what

>Lewis agrees
this is much more contra than pro

>the greatest philosopher of the 20th century agreeing with you is a contra

i dont think so

>greatest philosopher
>philosopher
The sad part is that you probably aren't even memeing

i feel sorry for you.
you have my sympathies

this We evolved to dislike being cheated on and this is no different. If a woman has had sex with several men in the past month and might be pregnant with another man's child she might as well have cheated in evolutionary terms.

>We evolved
No we didn't.

creation.com/
icr.org/
trueorigin.org/
answersingenesis.org/
creationwiki.org/Main_Page
evidentcreation.com/TRM-Logerr.html
davelivingston.com/tableofcontents.htm
bible.ca/archeology/bible-archeology.htm
newgeology.us/presentation32.html

Well, today I learned what different types of hymen look like. That's slightly horrifying.

Thanks for improving my fucking life, Veeky Forums.

Nice white knighting

No, really. I've just watched the one on sexual morality that was posted here.

Lewis seems like a really nice person, but this is simply not philosophy. It is the very opposite of it. His way of thinking is to philosophy what Satan is to God, or to give you a better example, pride to Christian virtue.
I'll greentext some points because I don't want to go on about for hours.
>Either Christianity or something else is wrong. Well, as a Christian, I can't say Christianity is wrong, so I'll go against the other thing.
>I'm right because I'm right.
>Cheap comparisons all along
>Exaggerations everywhere
>Using many babies as an argument against indulgence, then moving on quickly to the next point
>Often sprinkled with baseless religious assumptions. It's OK to believe if you must, but please don't call it philosophy.
>What he said about psychology and the subconscious was simply bollocks, no other way to put it.
>Doesn't really conclude anything in the end

He has some good points and it would do good to have people like this man in any society. I don't hate him, but these were some very superficial thoughts.

This desu in muslim communities are paid attention to at all times and if they are suspected of sluttish behaviour this will come out.
However girls being girls will sometimes start rumors about eachother out of spite or jealousy.

Well it is in context of his other work (mainly being an objective moral standard). I suggest you check out the other videos to actually understand where he's coming from.

I will. But I honestly doubt it will change my standpoint that you can't defend objective morality philosophically without having the 'I'm right because I'm right' agenda.

I think the main problem with the objectors of moral relativism is that they think the people who believe in it can't or don't have solid morals. Being cognitively aware that your morality is something that exists in your head only and a product of your life experiences doesn't mean you can't have a sound morality that you handle as something objective outside of philosophizing about it (like in politics). I'm an absolute relativist/cosmic soup thinker but I still have a very strict moral code for myself and live my life like a moderately conservative protestant Christian would (I guess).

legit answer

Your*

Samefag

You don't speak like you know anything about Islanm.

>These women are also much more likely to be simpler, more ignorant and with lower expectations and thus, happier.
Wew lad, chill the fuck out. It's probably because they take their wedding vows more seriously, are involved in stronger communities and follow a religion that encourages selflessness.
Not even a christcuck.

Wrong post you are replying to, but
>wedding vows
It's not like they have a choice in those cultural circles. Everyone they knew growing up would practically disown them if they didn't.
>stronger communities
Legit point. But having more partners is not mutually exclusive with stronger communities. See ancient britons f.e. We still arrive back to the notion that it's not sexual liberation that directly causes unhappiness but a bunch of other stuff it heavily correlates with.
>follow a religion that encourages selflessness
The religious aspects manifest through the stronger community, which is the previous point. Identifying with a religion without belonging to a certain community says fuck all about a person.

Also, please excuse my tipping, but being heavily religious does correlate with being clueless about the wider context of the world around us. Being raised to be simple might mean easier happiness. But it's not a good tradeoff in the long run.

>social pressure
A good thing when reinforcing positive behaviour.
>stronger communities
I was actually referring to the fact that religious people are more likely to be part of both secular and religious organisations as well as being more politically involved. So generally they're more community oriented even outside the church.
>religious values
And yea this one is obvious.
The church also has a lot of counselling and charity organisations attached on top of that which would help with stable marriage.

>social pressure
>A good thing when reinforcing positive behaviour.
I disagree. Pressure without explanation and room to see for yourself the merits of the behaviour opposed to other ones takes out the consideration and rationality from beneath it. What constitutes positive behaviour one day might be backwards the other. Also, I don't think not divorcing your husband even if he is a violent abusive fuck is positive.
>They're more community oriented even outside the church.
I've never experienced this myself desu

I guess someone was homeschooled.

t. Buttmad stacy

Because marriage is a blood covenant. You seal the contract with blood.

marriage is like prostitution

but harder to leave

-- bertrand russell

This user is a mad stacy.

Screenshot this too.

Because they're really reactionaries

Major anomaly: female virginity is still widely considered as attractive. Neither is explained why male bridegroom virginity like is not appreciated, you know the so-called double standard.
Vague? It is incredibly obvious that promiscuity goes hand-in-hand with failed marriage. The dose-response is practically screaming in your face.
You clearly know nothing about statistics.