Democracy in Mesoamerica

What do you think Veeky Forums?

sciencemag.org/news/2017/03/it-wasnt-just-greece-archaeologists-find-early-democratic-societies-americas

>Now, thanks in part to work led by Fargher's mentor Richard Blanton, an anthropologist at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, Tlaxcallan is one of several premodern societies around the world that archaeologists believe were organized collectively, where rulers shared power and commoners had a say in the government that presided over their lives.

These societies were not necessarily full democracies in which citizens cast votes, but they were radically different from the autocratic, inherited rule found—or assumed—in most early societies.

>"Who wants to sacrifice the virgin today?"
>"Oh I do I do!"
>"Is everyone okay with that?"
>"sure" "I guess so" "yea, whatever"

And thus democracy was born

It's more critical theory, devalue western achievements on spurious grounds.

>"See? We can draw an inference from some archaeology that these people had some sort of proto-communitarianism!"
>"That means PoC invented democracy and not cisable bigot Greeks!"

Implying democracy isn't the most basic form of government. If a bunch of primitives want to work together, their first instinct will be to form some sort of democracy, because they're not advanced enough to have social stratification. It takes established social and economic hierarchy and advanced society to establish monarchy or oligarchy.

Do these people really believe that a MesoAmerican Emperor would willingly give up his power to allow poorfags the right to vote? I feel that these theories hurt the POC they're trying to help by portraying indigenous people as pacifist wimps who got dominated by Europeans.

is so fun to see the eurocentric ego hurt.

lol

This isn't Eurocentric. Most of these people are fat liberal white women who would do anything for "people of colour," but are jealous of the fact that a lot of men like Asians. That girl is pretty qt.

I think the idea is actually that the MesoAmerican emperors conquered a pre-imperial people who had a semi-democratic society.

You mean oligarchies? Because serfdom was apart of Tlaxcalla, they had mayeques that worked the land but weren't always slaves. Only noblemen (Pipiltin) and distinguished commoners (mayeques)--or, which I prefer to translate as Yeoman--were said to be on these councils.

This doesn't match up with Athenian democracy. If you read Ancient Greek sources it's apparent that systems like this, that would get defined as 'oligarchies' / aristocracies, which there were numerous non-Greek ones mentioned by them and it wasn't an uncommon system.

What's really funny are the profile pics.

so much for feminism, eh

Euros gets triggered really fast by this kind of news.

White people are funny.

These are fat amerilarbs envoious of a thin Light skinned Asian girl. That image is irrelevant to the discussion.

>Amerifats on suicide watch
That's right Nordcucks. Men like women to be thin, not muscular.

So much for feminist solidarity.

there was this historian in Mexico that told me Teotihuacan had democratic type government controlled by oligarchs, then when they fucked up the environment around and the oligarchs tried to take full control of the city to benefit themselves from the good shortages it all went full civil war and everyone died. the end

I heard that a few Celtic societies in roman times also were democracies (of sorts).

>Because serfdom was apart of Tlaxcalla,

And slavery was apart of Athens.

>Only noblemen (Pipiltin) and distinguished commoners (mayeques)--or, which I prefer to translate as Yeoman--were said to be on these councils.

So a democratic-republic then.

Solidarity has been a four-letter word in politics for at least three decades.

I heard Teotihuacan fell due to conflicts between the local population and the refugee faction that fled a volcanic eruption.

>a four-letter word
I don't get this expression

I think that was part of it. All of the sudden there was civil strife in a land that to this day is pretty shit. Drive a few miles out of teotihuacan and there's forest and green, but there it is grass.
Also, thanks to teotihuacan collapsing all these city states that depended on trade with them all of the sudden collapsed, the best example is the fortress city of xochicalco.

It's is though. white women often bitch and take down other non-white women to keep their status of top gal demographic.

A curse word. Lots of curses in English are 4 letters long. Shit, piss, fuck, damn, cock, dick. Maybe more I can't think of.

But solidarity has more than four letters

Its a euphemism. He means solidarity is a bad word in politics. Learn English, this is an American website.

I don't think that word means what you think it means, my native English speaker

This.