What would be the best backdrop for a "Seven Samurai but in Medieval times"?

what would be the best backdrop for a "Seven Samurai but in Medieval times"?

As in, what time period(War of the Roses? One Hundred Years War? ect)?

What location? France, Britain? Italy?

I was thinking sometime during the One Hundred Years War a few hedge knights(abandoned by their lords or otherwise unable to go home or return to their respective armies), both french and english, agree to help a beleaguered village that is being terrorized by a group of rogue mercenaries, in exchange for food and a place to sleep.

They would teach the peasants how to fight, they would learn more about one another, and eventually learn to respect others, be they serf or FUCKING FROG EATING FRENCH FUCKS.

But other than that, it would be very close to the original seven samurai, nearly beat for beat.

Is this not feasible for a story?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florian_Geyer
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Götz_von_Berlichingen
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Terrail,_seigneur_de_Bayard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Arthur_(2004_film)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump for an answer pls

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florian_Geyer

This is the only example I can think of at the moment.

Hedge Knights aren't an actual historical concept, they're from A Song of Ice and Fire. A knight isn't going to be "abandoned by his Lord" because they hold massive amount of local influence and are a source of income and manpower.

Absolutely fascinating!

His life could make an epic movie too!

THis is why I love history: So many tales and stories that defy our expectations, that are truly legendary.

More people need to know about such things.

This is why historical and historically-inspired films are so important. They're like a history lesson neatly wrapped up in an exciting entertaining piece of media.

Kek, is this actually real? I mean Ronin were real, but they were masterless for other reasons, not because they had followers.

You are an idiot.

Besides feudal japan, the wild west, and medieval europe, where else would the seven samurai story work?

Alt-question: what would be a good backdrop for "yojimbo but in medieval times"?

> (OP)
>You are an idiot.

Well fuck you too buddy.

their were such things as bandit knights, so, for the purposes of entertainment, it wouldnt be too far of a stretch to say that some of these bandit knights, seven of them specifically, would be a bit more noble and moral so as to help a village in desperate need.

Also, they need not be lordless. They could've merely been cut off from their respective armies.

Also, my idea was more designed in mind as a tribute to Seven Samurai, but with a medieval europe paint on it. I have no doubts that it is inaccurate, but I might as well make it as accurate as possible in other regards(so as to counter the inaccurate bullshittery, I guess)

I am a fan of fallout and am gravely disappointed that none of the games had a significantly sized quest that was basically Seven Irradiated Samurai.

Yojimbo, on the other hand could be translated into european medieval setting as a willy bandit knight manipulating two rival guilds.

>Well fuck you too buddy.
No, fuck you. Why are you so obsessed with turning these classics into the same same but different?

You sound like a child.

>yukio
Yes, you're a child.

>I am a fan of fallout
Not to get too off track, but I absolutely hate the one limit companion. iirc, Fallout 1 allowed for every companion to be in your party at once. A game where you lead a band of misfits across the irradiated wasteland would be an easy 10/10 in my book.

You do realize that a lot of things are inspired from other things, right?

An example that is on topic, Akira Kurosawa was a big fan of western literature, and a lot of his movies were just jap adaptions of shakespeare(Ran = King Lear, Throne of Blood = MacBeth, ect).

There is only a finite amount of stories to tell. The best way is to make them interesting and to show them in interesting ways.

I do not wish to aggravate this conversation anymore, but since you called me a child, I would like to insist that you, in fact are the child as you screech "muh originality!" as though you know a goddam thing.

And to the rest of the thread: I apologize for my assholery. Now let us continue discussing the topic.

Indeed, quite annoying. But I suppose that's what mods are for.

Italian wars obviously.

Alternatively, the German Peasant wars, centered with this dude as the main figure;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Götz_von_Berlichingen

Fucking Gutz from Berserk but IRL. robot hand and everything.

Migration era Europe would probably work for such a setting. England for example. A village is terrorized by a band of Saxon warriors and another one made up of Irish/Romano-British warriors. Until one day a stranger arrives.

Thirty years war Germany could also work for that setting. Or the Italian wars between Charles V. and Francis I.

That's Wasteland and Wasteland 2

I would rather suggest Florian Geyer whom I had posted earlier. He may not had such an cool robot hand but in contrast to Götz von Berlichingen he wasn't forced to help by the peasants to help them but instead did it because he wanted to help them.

You are cancer incarnate.

For what reason are you exactly asking this question? Do you want to write a book or dou you need information for a RPG session?

Just want some info so I can write a script for shits, giggles, and practice.

I figure by writing something I already know(Seven Samurai) would let me "see" things as I write it. Sort of like a work book.

But what would you see? I mean you would copy that stuff word by word only replacing stuff like Ronin with Knight etc.
If you want to practice writing that doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I mean what do you learn from it? Creativity definitely isn't it.

What about Pierre Terrail?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Terrail,_seigneur_de_Bayard

I mean, it isn't going to be exact. More ofa frame work.

The knights would use different strategies than the samurai did.

Im still brainstorming. For example, there could be a master/apprentice, father/son relationship between two knights.

1. At the first glance I see nothing that would mark him as some sort of savior of the rural population. Just a knight fighting for his king. Eventhough he was quite good at it?
2. Why are yo asking me? I'm not the one who wants to write some story. though I would suggest that you don't make some real historical person a protagonist of your story. You can make a protagonist who resembles historical personalities but I wouldn't include the real one for some story that never happened.

You mean a knight and a squire?

You're the kind of guy that thinks each new Madden and Call of Duty is different from the last, aren't you?

And sorry if I may disappoint you but I have no more time today for answering your questions. Have to do some stuff for university so Ciao!

You're not allowed to say R*ddit. That's why it blocked you.

Great argument.
>implying anyone outside the US plays Cod or madden.
See, you are a fucking child.

To Write the exact story over and over again without changing anything isn't really interesting. It also isn't creative but instead the author looks like a copycat who was to lazy to make something new on his own.

It's actually endlessly translatable.

A (warrior figure) answers a village's request for protection after he falls on hard times. The town needs protection from bandits, so the (warrior figure) gathers six others to help him teach the people how to defend themselves, and the villagers provide the soldiers with food. A giant battle occurs when 40 bandits attack the village.

You could put this in pretty much any lawless fringe community.

13th Warrior, but with Danes, Muslims and irish vs Neanderthals.

>but
So you mean exactly the plot that happened? (Except from the Irish)

Where would they get the income for the maintenance of their equipment and a lifestyle befitting their status?
I see gallowglass mercenaries as a more realistic alternative.

Yeah this thread is much worse than the dozens of &humanities threads shitting up the board

>Someone makes a fun thread that can also instigate some historical discussion
>Autist spergs out and contributes nothing other then coming in and calling people idiots

Are you 13 by any chance?

historically inspired films will inevitably be influenced by ((corporations)) seeking to further their agendas and ideas. Like battlefield 1 promoting the idea of black soldiers in ww1 as their flagship while selling france as dlc.

Would landless knights have really existed?

Related, what would happen to a knight who lost his land, particularly due to conquest? Would he remain a knight, be given new land, look for a new lord?

>Can't say go back to R*ddit
>Can say go back to /pol/
Guess I know who's infesting this here board, then

Honestly, why can't there be historical films without non-appropriate ethnicities being forced in?
This goes the same for forcing whites into a film about Spring and Autumn China, for example.

Not the guy you're talking to, but what a "knight" was heavily depended on the time period and was subject to some local customs.

In the Holy Roman Empire for example, a knight was a man who was knighted. Being knighted was not the equivalent of being ennobled but it was more something akin to an award that came with further social implications. A knight was elevated in social status but he was not necessarily a free man. In fact, most knights were serfs. Serfs of rank (ministeriales), but still serfs. Free knights also existed of course, but they were not the majority.

That means that most knights did not own land. They were men whose lives were tied to a lord (or rather a house).

Italy in the renaissance with condottieri might work

Because hollywood is retarded. Moviemaking is fucking retarded. There is nothing but profit margins

How about this:

A small group of legionnaires and auxiliaries, having escaped the Teutoburg forest, find themselves in a Gallo-Roman village near the Rhine. The locals tell them that they've been plagued by Kraut cattle raiders and stuff, and so the soldiers offer to help them in exchange for letting them stay in the village and getting help contacting the authorities.

4th crusade

the nights would be Zara

>That terrible grip
>just kys yukio... oh wait

It doesn't need to have knights as main characters, it could be disfranchised man-at-arms.
Most fencing masters and students weren't nobility but common people so there's nothing wrong with portraying commoners with a good deal of fighting knowledge.
They could be nobility cadets as well.

so this is the power of /tv/ and Veeky Forums

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Arthur_(2004_film)

This is what you're looking for