Why do atheists feel the need to evangelize?

Why do atheists feel the need to evangelize?

Can't they understand that we all as a humanity are looking for truth following different paths? At least one of us might get the right one.

You're just suffering confirmation bias.

How likely do you think a "live and let live" atheist is going to go out of their way to say "hey, it's not for me but it's cool if that's what you believe."

Never. They cruise on by to find trap threads or whatever to jerk it to because they don't give a fuck. And it's not like you drive by an atheist non-belief weekly meeting on Sundays and see them gathering, thus having a more normal, non-evangelizing baseline to form a perception around.

So they should have sunday meetings to get it out of their system?

Religiontards are easily triggered and insecure about their beliefs, that's why they label any criticism of them as "militant atheism".

It's what happens when anti-theists try and masquerade as a somewhat more respectable group so they can beat off basic scrutiny with memes such as "I don't believe there is no God, I just don't believe in one lol" when it's very apparent the opposite is true. Even Dawkins couldn't defend that position despite acting on it 24/7.

You can criticize all you want, but you are often doing so because of your need to convert me to your ideas. Why?

that feel when I'm privately secular, but people think I'm a reactionary christwarrior (people as in the people on Veeky Forums lol)

When religion gets out of politics, motivated atheism will cease to be as antagonistic as it seems right now. Religions can't expect to walk over everyone else without meeting some resistance.

Does that even matter? What does that change for believers in god, for believers in no god or for nonbelievers?

Mostly its just cause your annoyed by being inundated with pro-religious messages which are very common in our society.

But most atheist dont bother.

excuse me, whom?

The distinction matters because it's more intellectually defensible to say "I don't believe such and such God/gods exist" versus "I believe such and such God/gods DEFINITELY do not exist" since no one can prove jack shit about any of that. Anti-theists have a bone to pick with (mostly theistic) religion despite their beliefs being on the same basic level.

Not a native speaker, did I wrote something wrong?

There are three respectable beliefs as to the nature of the divine: Their is no divinity, possibility of divinity, and belief in existence of divinity.

If you try to attach specific beliefs and such things to your belief in divinity then you have taken it past the point of logical supporting arguments and entered the realm of delusion and idiocy.

Face it. Any claim as to the specific nature of the divine is the height of hubris.

Not an answer, user. Are you trying to say, you want to save me from delusions? That's real christian of you ;^)

Atheism is the fastest shrinking religion in the world

When do you expect a total extermination of atheism?

Not him, but the most secular societies also tend to have the lowest birthrates. Denographic shifts due to immigration are well underway in Europe.

>>"I don't believe there is no God, I just don't believe in one"
This is actually a very reasonable position to take.

>>when it's very apparent the opposite is true
To whom exactly? Idiots who cosplay as 12th century crusader knights on a Vietnamese woodcarving forum?

It is a reasonable position to take. The issue here is that anti-theists clearly believe that there is no God but when called on their autism they hide behind atheism's skirt and pretend the more reasonable outlook applies to them by definition.

Why do theists feel the need to evangelize?

Can't they understand that we all as a humanity are looking for truth following different paths? At least one of us might get the right one.

do we? I only go on religion threads for bants and to learn

>Generalizing that all those who don't believe in a magic sky daddy are trying to convert you to the same
Nice strawman. Most atheists are invisible and stroll past you every day happily going about their business.

Only if that God is super-natural. If 'God' (let's say an eternally existing element) is a part of natural universe, it may be possible to experience this. Hindus and Buddhists basically view it this way.

>Why do normal people try to force their beliefs in schizophrenics???? There is nothing wrong with hearing voices

>hurr durr but it COULD exist amirite
You could use the same argument with the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

>Why do atheists feel the need to evangelize?
It's a cultural reaction to actual religions who actually bother everyone.

Something I realized, people only believe whatever convinces them based on their intellectual and emphatic natures, if a religious person gets mad at someone who doesn't believe their proselytizing, it's just because they don't find it convincing, who's "fault" is that? So of course religions frame the world of belief as a moral or virtue paradigm, where perfect strangers who are not convinced of religion (whom the religious person rightly has no clue who they are) must be "evil" so as to foster an aggressive and blameworthy reason why they are not convinced, instead of realizing the lack of convince power of superstitions.

But it goes both ways, religious people are convinced of their god because of their emotional experience, no atheist arguments are going to convince them otherwise.
So the whole debate is worse than pointless, it actually causes more strife and bad blood.

I'll explain life to you in easy steps:
1. Birth, a drooling retard will wetten your head so you receive a "holy spirit" which shall be nothing else but a demiurgical spirit, in this way your life is fucked once.

THIS IS HOW PIOUS CHRISTIANS SCREW YOUR LIFE

Step 2, adulthood: at one point in life the spirit will manifest, an atheist drooling retard will hear of your case and will force medication on you, healing nothing and damaging your brain.

AND THIS IS HOW FEDORAS RUIN YOUR LIFE MORE

Since this moment onwards they will compete to see who does the more damage, fedoras with pills and biblecucks with demiurge shit.

IMO both should be skinned alive, ISIS are more tolerant.

>Everyone likes to evangelize
>Smugness when crushing people's dreams
>Prevention of reppression against them (Altough this is not that relevant in 1st world)
>Attention whoring

Did I say other groups don't do that?
This is no answer.

Some do.

>all those
Please notice the word "often" in my previous statement.

That's at least an answer. But shouldn't you be doubtful of your judgement? What if your mind is playing tricks on you, closing your eyes?

Let's presume the impossible: all the religious people would keep their beliefs to themselves. Would that make ALL the atheists to keep it cool? If not, what reasons would they have left?

Intresting. Never been to a psychiatrist so I don't have an opinion on this matter. Are you sure it's the atheism that guides them?

This might be true. Aren't there any altruistic reasons?

This may come as a surprise to you, but there is a reason why you only hear the loud individuals of [insert group here].

I don't care as long as your beliefs don't impede on mine.
And while that may sound like a free check to do whatever it's most certainly not. I get frustrated when Christians talk about how atheists want to remove "In God We Trust" from our money like that has always been there, or the prayer in schools like we're destroying their way of life. So then I of course want to argue about how none of this was intended by the Founders and I don't care what they do in Church but I just want Separation of Church and State and then I'm the bad guy for having opinions and not wanting to follow or accommodate a religion that I can't believe in. It's not that I don't want to, because realistically, some higher being that loves and cares for us and promises us eternal happiness sounds pretty good.
But I can't believe in it, because none of it makes sense. I'm not here to argue but you asked why and that's why, I get annoyed when Christians take my lack of sympathy to accommodate them as me proselytizing my lack of belief.

>Aren't there any altruistic reasons?
First and third

I guess everyone deep down just wants to mouth off about how they feel. Just to eb heard or understood or try to relate to someone, anyone on this rock.

Thank you for your honest opionions.

This has been a quite civilised thread for an atheist/theist debate. And it's got some conclusions.

Everybody has a belief about God.

Everybody feels that if all of the other people on earth shared their exact same beliefs about God, the world would be a better place.

This even includes atheists.

fpbp

That's not true. The Jews need goyim to do their bidding.

There's also "whether or not divinity exists doesn't matter."

It only matters insofar as it effects our lives, which varies by individual (belief in the divine affects both a member of ISIS and a missionary in Africa, but in different ways), therefore you cannot make any universal claims on the matter.

Considering that most vocal atheists (at least the public figures, not edgy teenagers) concentrate most of their discussion on political, educational, and scientific issues caused by religions, probably yes.