Do we have a good reason to discuss Irish history today?

Do we have a good reason to discuss Irish history today?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=LlyNFE0H91k
m.youtube.com/watch?v=eIw8m9ogJKE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-Roman_relations
youtube.com/watch?v=vZNEloGC1oI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's interesting from a non-potato standpoint.

>Irish
>history

Only the Norse and Norman conquests of Hibernia.

Do we really need a reason?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=LlyNFE0H91k

m.youtube.com/watch?v=eIw8m9ogJKE

>implying the Norse conquered Hibernia
>Implying the Normans didnt get paddyed within the first generation and help fight off the English

I wonder what flag was behind this post?

Of course, you'd guess British, but I'm actually American. Go fuck yourself, you mick cunt.

They were pretty stylish

that is not a historical source lad

>tax me daddy

No but it is an extraordinarily faithful depiction of Irish dress as it is shown in historical sources

At a glance the only nitpicks I would have is that I don't think an ionar would be very likely to be purple, at least not on a kern, and the spearhead looks far too broad for an Irish spear. Other than that it's excellent.

One, we only left the British because they didn't appreciate us and taxed us too much, not because we disliked or hated the British in any way, two, anyone can hate you potato-sucking faggots.

Veeky Forums

>we
did your family arrive on the Mayflower Nigel Niggington?

Were gallowglass more Irish or Scottish?

Scotch and Irish back then were indistinguishable culturally, genetically and linguistically

fucking hang yourself

The OG 12th century Gallowglass were from Scotland but the Irish and Scottish were pretty much the same people at that point anyway.

By the 16th century the Irish had been raising their own Gallowglass units for hundreds of years and they weren't really found in Scotland anymore, though there were similar units with similar equip men

Same fucking thing

The origial Scots WERE Irish

Yes, actually, I do have a direct connection to the Mayflower. Most of my family cam later, though.

No, but il give it a go, first there were no potatoes and the Irish were sad, than there were potatoes and the Irish were happy for finally they had something to farm between their drunken stupors.

Are you implying that the Irish popped into existence today? You are very ignorant.

I want to know more about Ancient Ireland, you know, Hibernia.

Did they trade heavily with Britain and Gaul?

Gallowglass weren't Irish, the name literally implies that they're foreign.

And the Gallowglass where Norse-Gaels, which distinguished themselves enough to be called foreigners in Ireland & Scotland.
While there would be Irish gallowglass eventually, it started with the weird Norse-Scot mix.

They made this nifty bell

They cucked the anglos out of their religion.

Ireland before Christianisation kept almost entirely to itself, afterwards it had some interactions with England and of course Norsemen, but it's only in the past 1000 years that Ireland has really been on a foreign stage to any notable degree.

What I don't get is how the fuck didn't Ireland get its shit together after Clontarf? Brian Boru was the CLOSEST person amongst the Gaels to try and rally the peoples under 1 rule. They had more than 150 years AFTER Boru's death to consolidate Ireland to deter Viking and any other foreign aggression. What happened in the 1160's? The deposed King of Leinster asked for Norman help and thus came Strongbow.

>open thread
>bunch of american mongrels larping as "irish"
>do a 360
>sage
>close thread

>They had more than 150 years AFTER Boru's death to consolidate Ireland to deter Viking and any other foreign aggression
After Clontarf the Vikings were completely neutered as a political and social force in Ireland and there were no other outside threats, as far as they knew. There wasn't any reason to politically unite any more than there was any reason for the Italian city states to unite.

It is maybe notable that after 1014 the office of High King is more often referred to as the "King of Ireland" in Irish annals. So obviously they thought Brian was on to something, they just lacked his ambition and military prowess.

What does it sound like, do the gemstones confer any special properties to the ring?

>you think I'm an anglo but I'm actually an anglo
Shocking.

There's evidence of some Roman influence in Ireland: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-Roman_relations

A E I S T É I T I Ú I L

This. Somehow the people of Alba monopolized our name so we had to go with 'Irish'

I admit, I'm anglo diaspora, but you're mick diaspora, probably.
Anyway, I just want to hear about druids. Micks had druids, too, didn't they?

>hibernians

>what does it sound like
I mean it's like 1300 years old so I doubt anyone wants to try ringing it

>third generation American
>ancestors are from England until early last century
>anything before WW1 and my ancestors werent Americans

it's a weird feel because when I read about the revolution for instance I think about how yes this is my country I'm reading about, but my ancestors were fighting against American independence, so even though my national allegiance is to the US my blood relations were to the british, so American history isn't really MY history until the 20th century.

it's a weird feel

Yes. Particularly after Christianization, there are a lot of scholars and clerics traveling between Ireland, Britain, and the Continent. Trade and warfare between the Irish and neighboring peoples would have gone back much farther, probably even to the Bronze Age (some of the metal used in early tools seems to come from outside Ireland). Early Irish literature talks about contact with Britain to a limited degree (Irish hero Cuchullain trained in modern Scotland), and Welsh literature frequently talks about contact with Ireland (the earliest King Arthur myths tend to put a lot of Irishmen in his court). You occasionally have Roman authors talk about the Irish, but not often and almost always it's Irish raids into Britain or Gaul

I find it interesting that the Irish conquered and settled large parts of the British mainland in the 5th century AD after the Romans left. In one of their slave raids they captured a man called Patricius, otherwise known as St Patrick. And thus history was changed forever.

nob

well user if you want to be known as the man who broke a priceless historical artefact out of curiosity be my guest

It's not like we couldn't remake it, and see if gemstones do confer special properties, while leaving the actual bell safe.

That picture is actually a reproduction

Pic related is the original, as you can see it's banged up a bit

Honestly for being 1300 years old it's in pretty good shape

What's interesting is, in school we learn all about our history, we have two exams for our final year, one on Irish history and another one European history focusing on the world wars. We learn of all acts of barbarism by the English against us but of course they don't learn about that in their schools, so many English people are entirely ignorant of what happened and just sit there going "lol why are you so mad paddy?"

youtube.com/watch?v=vZNEloGC1oI

Funny how both SJWs and British apologists work together to cover up Irish slavery. Guess colonialism doesn't matter when it happens to white people.

It still looks pretty good

But the fact is, nobody cares. Fuck off, paddy.

Yes people care, shut it anglo :^)

I find Irish history pretty boring apart from your pic really...

it has nothing of interest apart from a famine.

Really disappointing

Brits are subhuman.

Nothing more than a nation of glorified pirates.

How much would you say you know about it apart from the famine? There's plenty of other interesting stuff. The scholarly monastic period where the Irish got involved in theological disputes all over the continent (the Catholic Church actually nicknamed the empty Hell hypothesis "Irish porridge" at one point), the Battle of Clontarf, where the Irish majorly curtailed Viking power in western Europe, their invasion by and war with the Normans, the invasion of Edward Bruce, the Nine Years War where they came within an inch of defeating England for good, the Irish Catholic Confederation, where they succeeded in running their own independent country for a while, the United Irishmen Rebellion, the land movement of the 19the century, the Easter Rising, the Troubles, etc.

It's quite dismissive to say all of that is just "boring"

That's a nice fucking bell

I wish I had a bell that fucking nice

You could commission a reproduction if you had millions of dollars

>typical Hibernians

He types, in English

Sure lad, what cycle or were you thinking something more recent?

>he uses spaces between his words
MICKED

>Taxed the US too much
I think you mean cut into our tea smuggling.

US still supports the IRA

>make shit up
>leave thread
good

Wouldn't that mean when you say Irish Gallowglass your saying Irish foreigners?

>You will never be an English lord and take Irish lasses to the castle in order to drop loads on their young faces.

Truly this reality is in conspiracy against me.

Rich people can do this now all the time.
Even if you lived back then you wouldn't have been a lord.

>Being this mad that your country was nothing but a huge bog before Viking savages built cities and irrigated the land

They traded tin with the goddamn Phoenicians.

haha

fuck the micks

They look like some fly ass niggas tho

RIP Brian Boru

he was too good for this world

I TRIED SO HARD

why?