Expat thread

Say that you earn money remotely, and have the freedom to try to live wherever you'd like. Where would you go? If you've already done this, then please share your experience.

I could post this on /trv/ but I don't like that board. Keep it biz-related by keeping in mind immigration and visa laws, cost of living, taxes, etc.

I'd live in a new place every 1-2 years. Rocky Mts, Miami, Norway, Japan, Australia, Southern Chile, etc. etc etc

This. I wanna learn 3-4 languages.

Definitely Chile
Canada is a close second.

I'm in Argentina. Specifically San Carlos de Bariloche. Google it if you haven't heard of it.

8/10 experience so far. Preferably for someone that likes the wilderness and some occasional snow.

I've been living in Santiago for about a year and hate it. Everywhere outside of this city is nice tho

>Australia
FULL

Chile is boring as fuck honestly. If you said that because of Patagonia Google Parque Nacional Lago Puelo. Argentine Patagonia is way better.

Israel for sure

Moving to Japan in a few months, but I turn 30 in less than a year and want to take advantage of the 462 visa for Australia before its too late

Do you know Japanese by chance? What are you doing for work if you don't mind me asking?

I hear a lot of horror stories about people moving there and getting super depressed.

I teach English and Jiu Jitsu, Two things I can do regardless of where I live. The pay is very modest tho

Yeah because they don't realise the work culture of Japan and relatively low wages destroy you. It's not the fantasy land anime told them it was

TEFL? I'm doing the same thing in Argentina at the moment. I really hate it to be honest. That's cool about the Jiu Jitsu thing though, I bet that's way more exciting.

You should watch some videos about people that went to Japan to teach. Idk if they're just being pussies, but they make it sound pretty bad.

I hadn't heard of it but that looks beautiful. Any time I looked into Argentina before I had focused on Buenos Aires.

What's the cost of living like where you're at, and how's the visa situation in Argentina generally, from your experience?

What's the symbol for EXPAT?
Can't seem to find it on coinmarketcap?
Is this on bittrex?

I've researched it for a while and have a buddy who has been doing it over there for 5 years. It's a mixed bag but after doing it here in Santiago, I'm ready for a culture with less dog shit and hotdogs tbqh senpai

New Zealand. A secluded little earth-sheltered house built into a hillside in a valley in the catlins. Forest in the valley below, bare hills above for walking. About as far from the faultline as you can get in NZ, so earthquake risk is minimised. The active volcanoes are all north island, so I'm out of range of them too. Too far south for the typhoons or tornadoes, temperate oceanic climate. Lots of unspoilt forest in the general area, and plenty of hydroelectric power in the region; even if all fuel imports cease, the rivers will still flow and south island will still be net power positive. Southern hemisphere, so any major pollution event (salted bombs, burning cities, supervolcano) will likely be far away in the northern hemisphere (atmospheric mixing is much more longitudinal than latitudinal). Stunning mountains a short distance away, loads of sheep everywhere (food reserve for the region). Far enough inland, with the hills between me and the ocean, for tsunamis to not be a threat. I'm about as insulated from large-scale and small-scale disaster as it's possible to be on Earth, while still being reasonably close to a hospital.
Stunning scenery, the country they filmed basically all of LOTR and the hobbit in.
And now the Veeky Forums part: No capital gains taxes. (Crypto counts as capital gains, so no taxes on gains) One of the best regulatory environments in the world for business. Remote from basically everywhere, but being on the pacific rim gives you access to the chinese and southeast asian markets. Not that I'll be doing much business from my cozy semi-hidden secluded bliss, but my diversified investments will do well.

lol nah it's because they're loser english teachers.

Yeah, a lot of people settle for BsAs but that place sucks dick. Literally nothing to do and everyone is always either getting their phones stolen or ripped of by taxi drivers.

If you're from the U.S prices for everything are about the same for everything but the pay isn't as good. Rent is a little cheaper however. Buying a car is pretty expensive and where I live a lot of people just ride bikes / take the bus.

Visa situation is really chill and if you have a job and apartment you're pretty much guaranteed citizenship in like a year. However, don't trip about a work visa at first because a lot of people here work "en negro" or under the table. I'm on a tourist visa and I either take a trip to Uguragy or Brazil every three months then come back.

All and all, it's an enjoyable experience but I don't see myself here forever. Actually working on getting a New Zealand work visa with my Argentine girlfriend at the moment.

Lmao, you don't like SUPER PANCHOS? Dogshit and stray dogs is the entire Latin American experience in my opinion.

sounds comfy dude

That's the dream

No one talking about SEA?
Thats where I will go in a few years.

Beautiful nature, cheap, nice culture, also I enjoy the women.

Depending on what continent you want to be on and ordered from most expensive to least expensive

Australia, New Zealand
Canada
Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovenia
Argentina, Chile
Thailand
Botswana

Where exactly you should go depends on what factors matter most to you

I can't find it either, do they even have a whitepaper?

I'm an expat from California living in Berlin off of Crypto gains. I came here because it's a cheap city and has a lot to do. It's also slightly behind in terms of trends, so if you wanted to you could bring a business idea from overseas easily. Rent is going up because of expats like me moving here, but I don't give a fuck, the weak must fear the strong. Also, I'm only here because I can't get into Copenhagen even though my wife is danish

Do you speak any German, or is it irrelevant now?

I don't think it ever makes sense to expat to a west euro country

It's just more expensive and offers no real advantages

As an expat life is just as good in Hungary as in Germany, but Hungary is way cheaper aka you can live at a higher standard

And if you want to see the western countries it's easy to just jump on a train or something and travel time is short

Nah, but I'm taking courses soon. Only got settled here a few months ago. Berlin is Expat heavy so they know english better than the rest of germany, but it's still like less than half that do.

Well to be fair, I'm paying half of what I paid in orange county for a bigger living space in a far nicer area. Also, groceries and going out is way cheaper. And I'm only here to get to my wife's motherland.

Just saying for anyone else considering moving to Europe. The only disadvantage of central/eastern countries is low salary, but if your income is external then that's a moot point so you should just move there if you want to stay in Europe.

Anyone else /digital nomad/ here? I'm an expat in Seoul atm.

US: Arizona, Texas, Florida, Tennessee, new Hampshire, Guam, Puerto Rico, Idaho, & Alaska
Czech Republic
Argentina
Panama
Japan (for citizenship but not to reside)
Switzerland (would more than likely raise family here)
Sri Lanka (for citizenship but not to reside)
N Ireland
Norway
St Helena
Belize (would visit here often)
Punjab, Pakistan (safehouse)
Kurdistani Iraq (safehouse)
That's it. Now other country at all but to visit

Why? I need my guns and I hate capital gains taxes

U.S. citizen working remotely for a U.S. company. I live in Romania.

Pros:
>1000/500 Mbit/s internet (uncapped) for less than $10/mo
>mobile internet is fuck you cheap and like 160Mbit/s
>cost of living in general is extremely low in general, if you're making USD then money won't be an issue even with a lavish lifestyle
>great food
>most people speak at least some english
>romanian is a romance language, easier to learn than some slavshit
>U.S. citizens basically get a free pass on residence permits
>women look like supermodels
>gypsies are almost entirely their own community, very little race mixing

Cons:
>a lot more disorganized than a lot of european countries
>people are poor, you notice this getting to know people but especially women
>women have this inferiority complex that's pretty hard to break through

If you want to unlock your inner jew then it only makes sense to move to a country with fast internet and low cost of living. Why not Romania?

>women look like supermodels
Lol you must be joking, they look hideous over there
Go to Moldova if you want some dacian-slavic beauties

i'm sold
if i somehow make over 10 mil i might move there for a while

You have either never been to Romania or never been to the US. I am not even particularly attracted to Romanian women but they are objectively attractive, especially in comparison to the average American woman. There's also tons of Moldovans here already.

Moldova is not only not in the EU but probably doesn't have the same exception for US (and japanese) citizens for their commercial residence permit.

You could live here indefinitely for much less than that, especially with good investments.

Mind listing your lifestyle/monthly expenses user?

I live in a very nice 1 bedroom apartment in central bucharest (I used to live in a slightly less fancy 2 bedroom apartment, but I never used my living room)

Rent: 500EUR
Internet: 9EUR
Phone: 5EUR
Food: dude idk I'm stopping this gay chart

listen my monthly expenses never as far as I've cared to look exceed 1000 USD/mo, and that's without a car (taxis everywhere not within walking distance) and eating out like 2-3 times a week. I honestly don't drill down my expenses as I use cash for everything, so all I see are ATM withdraws. Essentially money isn't an object here for day-to-day purchases.

I've always wanted to live in slow smaller countries in Europe, but I feel like the whole being black thing would draw unnecessary attention to myself. Anyone have any experience?

Being black anywhere outside of the 1st world (minus Africa, Brazil, and parts of the Middle-East) will most definitely draw a lot of attention to you.

Example: My Argentine girlfriend talked to a black person for the first time in her life when we visited my family in the U.S (she's 26).

New Zealand should be number 1. House prices and rent are well above Australian numbers, and wages are far lower.

>My Argentine girlfriend talked to a black person for the first time in her life
had she never looked in a miror before?

That's a funny meme but everyone in Buenos Aires is actually white (who would have thought?).

kek

>loads of sheep everywhere
user, they're using them for more than just food, you know.

NOT an ARAB shit hole of country for sure

Fugg. I just want to be left alone in a small rustic looking town where I can code and read and grin at the passing women about town.

Easter Europe in general is very good to live in if you have money.

Still get the benefits of western culture, beautiful women, inexpensive life.

Let's say you have an income of 5k a month. You can basically live like a king in an Eastern Euro country. Get an awesome place, a nice car and a hot gf. Also crime, especially violet crime is very rare. Most crime in those places is petty shit but it's very unlikely that you'll get seriously hurt there. Also no sandniggers or nogs.

>violet crime is very rare

thank god...