The American Dream™

>The American Dreamâ„¢

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/F6jFnOnjzrk?list=PL1E6FE64DFFDA1DBD&t=99
youtube.com/watch?v=sD47xo3c7WU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I can't stand the shit that suburban housing gets for being 'cookie-cutter'.

Thinking that creativity and uniqueness is somehow expressed through the architecture of your home makes as much sense as the belief that you can appear creative and unique by dying your hair pink and getting tattoos.

It's quite the opposite.

These are all superficial things, any attempt at portraying excellence through them is a desperate attempt to hide the fact that you're boring as fuck.

How do you know that those houses aren't occupied by great thinkers and enlightened individuals?

Don't get me wrong the suburbs are basically a place where people to go to die, intellectually, but it's not because of the architecture.

There is literally nothing wrong with that given what the alternatives are when it comes to mass, cheap housing.

>What went wrong?
it came true

HOAs. Non-HOA suburbs are fantastic.

>tfw Phoenix

Americans and the American dream has always been shit and is exposed as lies and shit

but a cushy 2 story house with a garage you own yourself and not lease is not a bad thing.

American cities are the inverse of most European cities; the wealthy and middle class live in suburbs and the poor and working class live in the inner cities.
Thus why you get countless rows of pretty large, well-heeled and expensive homes surrounding rather poor, dangerous and ugly big cities with outdated infrastructure and neglected architecture.
Also race.

It used to be the other way around though, inner cities used to be where rich people lived. Automobile boom changed that.

Interesting point, but not always true.

Before cars became the main mode of transportation, traveling more than a couple of miles was expensive, so only the rich could afford to live outside of the city.

Then cars became affordable and the tables turned -- poor people started moving out to suburbs where housing was cheap because land was cheap, while the rich started paying more to move back into the city to be closer to everything.

In most large cities, whether you're in America or Europe (New York or London) this is still the case.

So the following statements aren't exclusive to either continent.

>the wealthy and middle class live in suburbs
>poor and working class live in the inner cities

These are simply true for smaller cities or cities with a dying central business district.

NYC is literally the only city where this happened. Everywhere else the inner city is a ghetto.

>American cities are the inverse of most European cities; the wealthy and middle class live in suburbs and the poor and working class live in the inner cities.

That hasn't been true in 20 years.

In addition to the change of housing laws, the creation of the skyscraper, lack of protections for historical structures until the 60s, highway construction and desegregation.
American cities used to be relatively world class.

>I can't stand the shit that suburban housing gets for being 'cookie-cutter'.

It's boring and ugly. But that's only like the 8th biggest problem with developments like this.

Ever been outside NYC faggot? Because it's true with Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Louisville, Memphis, Atlanta, New Orleans, Miami, Jacksonville, Milwaukee, Denver, Phoenix, LA, Charlotte, Houston, Dallas and probably some others I forgot about.

I don't mind the blandness of suburbia but it pisses me off that it's all one or two story houses. I live in Sun Valley and there's literally no skyscrapers or high rises, it looks like a small town except with 4.5 million people. Surreal shit.

You're looking at it

An interesting phenomena are luxurious houses in poor eastern European villages. They're generally built by people who live and work in Germany/Austria/Switzerland etc.

Why the fuck would you want skyscrapers? Skyscraper towns are even more awful and dystopic than US suburbs.

There's something in-between the inhuman efficiency of a town made out of giant concrete/glass/steel towers and the absurdity and artificial isolation of the two-story house american suburban sprawl, where you need to hop in a car every time you need to shop for groceries.

European midrisings are to me the perfect compromise to decent-looking urban envirioments. Middle america should have gone with more of these in their large cities instead of the cookie-cutter housing units.

No thanks. Living in a separate building is always better than living in an apartment.

shit at first I thought this was a before/after comparison

That is true, but apartments are much more cost-efficient. If the USA hadn't wasted its immense wealth for pointless luxury for one or two generations it could be a much, much better place in the future.

Buy land or live in a rural town/village then. American endless suburban wastelands are an abomination.

Your suburban houses are built side by side, and there is always some fuckhead with a landmower or leafblower somewhere

Rural wastelands are even worse, enjoy your alcoholism, welfare, and heroin addiction

I'd rather live there that in the typical fugly European suburbs

>Living in a separate building is always better than living in an apartment.

Why do you think so?

So beautiful...

What went wrong?
What exactly was the plan again?

While this is true, I simply don't like burbs. They seem to be ratholes where the kids end up spoiled degenerate drug addicts, the wives a neurotic, adulterous mess, and the husbands fat, piddly idiots who think they know how to use power tools.

Why don't they have fences?

Not sure where the hell you live but here rural life is pretty damn fantastic. I'm surrounded by good christian whites, nice families, beautiful lawns and gardens. The odd kid goes bad but they move to the cities as soon as they can anyways.

Rural towns are dying in America because all the kids are moving to the cities. Because you know, that's where the jobs are.

>How do you know that those houses aren't occupied by great thinkers and enlightened individuals?
They're American houses, aren't they?

Europe and Asia recovered from ww2 and started competing with the USA again.

Incompetent US government thinks the only way to make things affordable is to enable people to spend more money.

If anything living in a different house, just like dying or tattoos is the first step to being unique desu. Bare minimum desu

They only have a walkway on one side? Looks like hell to get trough without a car.

Read a book called "Henry and the Great Society".

Skyscrapers would look fantastic in this desert landscape.

>Looks like hell to get trough without a car.
And therein lies the problem.

The automobile. American architecture and city planning has been built around accommodating the automobile.

Compare pic related, wherein the street has been designed to be walked upon, and everything is built with a person at eye level in mind...

...With this picture of Richmond, OH.

It's not that the buildings are bad, it's that everything was designed with cars in mind. Everything is scaled such that you can see it from a car, and everything is designed to accommodate people who are arriving/traveling by car. That, and it's Ohio, but that's not the point.

I get what you're trying to say, but as per Wikipedia...

>Richmond was laid out in 1815

I was under the impression that these small Midwestern towns always looked like that, the difference is back then you'd have a railroad or interurban line running through.

The fact that the town in your pic actually has sidewalks already puts it at an advantage over some of the post-war towns you see around these parts.

The phenomenon you're describing does exist, I just don't think your picture is the best representation of it. The sort of "bland" and utilitarian look (I personally enjoy it, but that's likely personal/nostalgic bias) of that town is the result of those buildings having been built by/for early-20th Century farmers.

t. Midwesterner

Capitalism is what things go awry. You want to live the Soviet dream, dont you, comrade?

>How do you know that those houses aren't occupied by great thinkers and enlightened individuals?

Because they're occupied by Americans who aspired to live in those suburbia to begin with.

Gentrification is changing this. Now most low income people have to commute to work in the cities. Where I live teachers can't afford to live where they work so theres been a shortage of teachers in some places.

It ain't changing shit the city scum isn't moving out to the suburbs or innawoods ever

I agree completely, the picture doesn't do it justice. Frankly, I just googled "Midwestern town" and got that.

Here's a video that talks about the phenomenon and more importantly gives an image that shows the phenomenon in question.

youtu.be/F6jFnOnjzrk?list=PL1E6FE64DFFDA1DBD&t=99

For those unfamiliar with the Midwest (I'm a Michigander myself), notice how even though there's areas where people CAN walk, the buildings are explicitly built to cater to the needs of car drivers.

Yet another Jew York / San Fagcisco retard thinking the rest of America is like his city

>I'm a Michigander
My condolences

We used to live in these grand old cities, like Detroit.

I wonder what happened...

Even if you factor out the niggers, it wouldn't last.

See: youtube.com/watch?v=sD47xo3c7WU

The model itself is unsustainable.

Detroit was a retarded city that put all its eggs in one basket, complete lack of diversified economy. The niggers were only a final nail to the coffin.

spitting that hot fire

you do know that housing in the pic most of time isn't an appartment but a single mansion

>haha america dumb europe smart
Really, we need to question the intelligence of people who still continue to spout this dead meme

The amount of water thats being used to keep all that greenery alive...

Pure decadence desu

Honestly those are all desert friendly trees. It's those faggot golf courses that waste water like a motherfucker.

>Ohio
I feel depressed already

Its just them compensating for their inferiority complex

Theres nothing wrong with suburbs. Its a clean safe place to raise your children around like-minded people.

All these edgy teens thinking you have to live in an apartment in New York to be cool

What is wrong with safe and clean housing

that looks pretty comfy to me

I think skyscrapers are pretty cool, it's a giant ass tower build of glass and steel, some of which hold more people than the entire population of the city I grew up in. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd hate to have to report to one every day for work, but driving through Houston or New York's more businessy districts is something neat.

Still though, I prefer to live out in the country away from people. I could see how it'd be horrible to have to live among those structures every day until you die if you were a city guy.

It's because people on this board are young. They don't have families or wives yet, and they don't need the extra space a suburban house provides. They forgo that space to be close to luxury consumer goods and services, to maximize socioeconomic mobility and work opportunities, and to expand their social networks. Once you have kids and your lifestyle because much more predictable and stable, it is worth moving out to the suburbs. I don't know why this is so hard to grasp for 4channers. Didn't you guys go to college, get a job, and meet a woman already?

>Denver

nope...most of the poors live in shitty suburbs like Aurora, Federal Heights, or Commerce City.

I might be moving to Denver later this year, redpill me on the suburbs there because housing prices are ridic.

I don't know if it's a result of growing up in a similar place, but I think that picture looks pretty damn beautiful. Wide open spaces, simple wooden houses, occasional station or shop, looks great to me.

This also looks interesting, but somewhat constrained. I could see myself admiring the beauty of the area, but never living in such a cramped location.

>I think The Simpsons and Family Guy are documentaries

I'm a lifelong suburbanite. I love the suburbs and hope I can live in a nice one someday with my family. But that doesn't mean that there aren't problems with many of them. Very many are ugly and tasteless.

Basically, you can criticize many common negative features of suburbs without being against the concept itself.

That's because you've probably never lived in a shitty small town in the middle of nowhere, a hundred miles from anywhere someone from out of state has even heard of.

Imagine growing up in a town that lives and dies on the traffic that passes through it, and the farmers who buy goods from its stores and call on its doctors/vets. Every day you come home from your white-as-popcorn high school from the bus. There's nothing to do when you get home except shitpost on Veeky Forums or do mindless normie shit. To keep yourself occupied, you try to play high school football but you're not really that good and your dad expresses his disappointment in you, chiding you on why you can't be like your older brother Joel. Be a man's man! Work on cars like you think that shit is interesting! You work for Mr. Daughterty at his gas station three nights a week.

Your friends wear Under Armour and Army Strong apparel every fucking day. Their idea of a fun time is to shoot at rocks with their .22s, drink cans of beer their older brother Dan got for them, and do dumb Jackass or Fight Club type of bullshit. Out of 10, about 5 of them will never leave this town. They will grow up to mechanics, shopkeepers, assorted tradesman, cars salesmen. 1 will get hooked onto oxies or heroin or meth and become a junkie who will disappear from civilized society and live in the shadow realm of drug addicts, living under bridges and shacks in the woods. 2 will join the Army or other branch of the armed forces because they realize they want to do something more than chase high school poon or hit on the waiter at IHOP or Denny's, drinking beer at the same bar with the same people every night for the next 30 years. The other 2 will go to a state university and move to a city, and they'll come back once every five years for important family functions, but you can see in their face that they can't bear the thought of living here again.

Russia outside of Moscow and St Petersburg honestly sounds like the worst place on earth

I'm from Toronto where the housing is largely mixed. I live in a comfy suburban-style home but there are 20 story condos not far from where I live, and I don't need to take a car across the street. Yes suburbia is good if you want to live a stable life, but there are ways to construct a suburbia without it just being endless miles of the same house with the occasional plaza.

This mostly seems like a you problem.

>There's nothing to do when you get home except shitpost on Veeky Forums
Sounds like you're just boring desu

It's fucking boring, there's no soul, there's a single house created over and over, no culture, no architectual interest, just the same 4 fucking designs repeated over and over, there's a house on my street that has a single huge circular window in the attic, and it's fucking majestic, i was walking by it with a friend and he called it dumb, variation creates interest, variation is a good part of the market, because it caters to indivduals who all want to live in different places, this cookie cutter garbage doesn't effectively meet the needs of the consumer beyond "I want a house". I want a house with a fucking majestic circular window, and knowing that it's possible my grandchildren will never be able to see a house like that being built in their lifetime makes me fucking angry.

I live in something like this suburb from OP... but in walled version in a shitty country. As long as the place is clean, safe and neighboors are FINE (not drug sellers, thieves, criminals or assholes) then you are already living in heaven. Architecture is nice, designing your house is nice but you don't actually need to create one by yourself.
Learn CAD and design all the house in your dreams using any CAD + Blender to render. You fulfill your dreams by much much cheaper price.
Any place improves 100% if you have plants. If the house are all the same, then be creative in the front yard to differentiate.

>Learn CAD and design all the house in your dreams using any CAD + Blender to render.
Why the fuck would you do that? The average person (myself included) has no idea how to design a good house.

The idea is to have a professional architect to design a good house for you.

Are you trying to imply we should aim for your pic?

Are you actually retarded?
>everyone can afford a 500k CONDO.
Seriously, consider suicide.

(cont.)
There's nothing to do in a fucking small town. It's shit. If you stay, your best prospect is that you become Salesman of the Year at the car/tractor dealership (the town's not big enough for both), own a gas station or some other retail bullshit, driving long hauls, or become a mechanic or machinist. There's no opportunities out there.

And the people. Everyone has the same small-town attitude, doing the same piddly small-town shit. You know everybody and everybody knows you. There are no secrets in a small town. After a while, gossip is all that people can manage to talk about and its fucking infuriating. You know several people who are unironically white supremacists Trump supporters, foaming at the mouth about Mexicans when the town is basically 96% white with the exception of the family that runs the Chinese joint. Most people are good people, but they are unbelievably ignorant about the wider world out there.

And the economy always feels like it's in a state of constant decline. Money is always tight and it seems to get tighter every year as the town population shrinks.

It's not a place for a young person with dreams of being something more than what his father was.

>CAD + Blender
>not The Sims
You know this is a humanities board right

Northeast and San Francisco should just be abandoned. Those prices are fucking absurd.

>dying or tattoos is the first step to being unique desu

lmao

The dream that anyone can afford a nice house With a yard, car and have it all relatively close to work? Seems fulfilled. I don't like how it looks all cramped, but then again, everyone wants to live close to town, and not everyone can afford or have enough room near the good spots. That's just life.

Housing is just fucked everywhere in the first world.

But wouldn't you want to have that, but also a nice-looking house that wasn't bland and looked like everyone else's?

Stop making excuses. I'm dealing with african tier people on a daily basis, know theres a 99% chance of them not understanding or accepting my propostions but I don't give up on trying to offer projects to help and improve the community.
Is it like those people who complain about the big city being too impersonal and feeling like theres no sense of community then you ask what they do for the community and they do nothing. They just sit in the couch all day hoping that someone invites them to celebrate something in a group.

If you don't generate value to the community why you expect them to like you and give value to you?

I'm going to "top" college in my country and as soon as I finish I want to go back to my small city in the middle of nowhere and grind with dumbfags until I die. 90% of the population of this country why leave as soon as possible to USA or Europe to have better living standards. I agree that you have much much better living standards there but instead of being a pussy I want to stay here and work until I die to improve the life of my friends and my community. Will I accomplish this? Probably not but I don't want to spend my days in another way.

They're not for middle class people. These types of places are bought by young Bostonian professionals who work for big money institutions or firms, like BCG, Bain, HBS, or Nixon Peabody. Working and lower class people are being pushed out to the outskirts like no tomorrow by yuppies who want to be close to work and Starbucks.

That's not the photo I wanted.

No, just go anywhere that isn't the Northeast or Cali. Even if you avoid the absolute shitholes (Detroit, Cleveland etc) you can be left with plenty of nice and affordable places like Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Raleigh, Jacksonville, Nashville, Dallas, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Omaha, Columbus, Minneapolis, Phoenix, San Antonio, Grand Rapids, Tulsa, Knoxville etc. Even Los Angeles is MUCH cheaper than SF.

Literally not an argument.

500k for the cheapest piece of real estate is not cheap real estate, cheap real estate is in the realm of 100-200k. Half a million for a small-ish house is not good real estate, just because, as you imply, there are way more expensive alternatives.

You're wrong about Texas. The Metroplex Area is fucking booming and prices are climbing to the sun. Virginia is almost as bad as the rest of the Northeast, especially near the coast.
Everywhere else you named will likely never become a global city.

>500k for the cheapest piece of real estate is not cheap real estate
And I'm fucking telling you you won't pay 500k for the cheapest real estate in most of America. You can get a nice two story house in the suburbs of Phoenix for like 90k.

>global city
Who cares about living in a global city? Some of the biggest shitholes in the world are global cities. I care about living in a nice city.

I think that's very noble of you user. Brain drain can be a real problem

>Commie blocks
Is this what the banks do with houses now?
Who the fuck needs a house that big?

>Who the fuck needs a house that big?
No one, that's the problem.

Have you ever been inside a house like that? It feels like it's 80% empty space.

kek, forgot that. They conditioned me so hard in engineering school that I'm almost a robot now.

>no opportunities
Maybe you just unable to see it. For example I'm truly blessed to attend one of the best colleges in this shitty country. I have the potential to leave this shit back in 10 years and move to Europe (like all my friends gonna kill to do this). I could move to the biggest city in the country and live like a king, a real king walled in a castle while the peasant kill each other outside the walls. Instead I want to go back to my family in middle of nowhere to help them, my closest friends and the city. Of course everyone calls me crazy because I'll end up poor as fuck with a top degree but these things are like religion and you need to feel them, not understand.
Will I ever be bored on without opportunities? Of course not. Today you have books and internet. Having too much free time? Dedicate the time to writing and reading (they consume a fuckton of time). This way you really learn instead of pretending to have learned.
You can try to help people near you, if they refuse help then you can help the environment or even participate in social science via internet.
Boring places are the perfect places to do a lot of activities.

Also
>dumbfags running business = opportunity to get a portion of the market, easily.

The difference is, that an apartment in one of those costs maybe 1/3rd of what a person makes working for minimum wage, whereas in most US cities many adults have to cohabitate or live with their parents.

Also, you are 10 minutes from the next shopping, past time activity, job and service if you live in one of those commie blocks.

I agree that living in a house has advantages, but commie blocks have major points in their favour as well. Many people would prefer the block, if given the choice.