In this video I'm gonna attempt to explain some ideas behind a blockchain to you...

In this video I'm gonna attempt to explain some ideas behind a blockchain to you. I'll try to do this by playing with a system that shares some mayor similarities with it.

A blochchain is a seqeunce (the "chain") of blocks (data structures with information entries).

For cryptocurrencies, the information entries are data like "Alice pays 0.34 BTC to Jerry", i.e. some string/sentence of information , although the nature of the information is not so relevant for the blockchain as such. It could also be something like "Next friday I should go buy milk".

In this thread, we could as information any 3 letter word. Like "man" or "bob".

I'll introduce a very cheap kind of almost hasing. At the bottom we have a list of how to translate letters to numbers. Given two letters, we gonna have one act on the other by adding the numbers and translating it back. Examples
* b=2 and f=6. Now 2+6 is 8, which is associated with h. So we say b+f -> h
* j=10 and c=3. Now 10+3 is 13, which is associated with m. So we say j+c -> m

a = 1
b = 2
c = 3
d = 4
e = 5
f = 6
g = 7
h = 8
i = 9
j = 10
k = 11
l = 12
m = 13
n = 14
o = 15
p = 16
q = 17
r = 18
s = 19
t = 20
u = 21
v = 22
w = 23
x = 24
y = 25
z = 26
We're gonna say 27 maps back to 1 and 28.

We gonna have two lines. One "information line", and one "previous hash" line. On the first block, there is no "previous", so I'll arbitrary set it to "ccc".

Finally, given any three numbers, I'll do some WORK by multiplying them together. For example, ccc translates to 3 3 3 and 3*3*3=27.

I'll now start the block chain, and my first information will be "man"

BLOCK 1:
>"man"
>ccc, 27
->
>pdq

To explain again, m=13 and c=3, so the first hash letter is 16, which is p. And so on.
My second information is gonna be the word bob.
For the "previous hash" line, I obviously take the hash from the last line.

BLOCK 2:
>"bob"
>pdq, 1088
->
>rss

Okay, now the block is on.

Give me a 3 letter word!

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/3b1b/manim
youtube.com/channel/UCcrSMnEYhIPX_p127jI23qw
github.com/Nikolaj-K/password-manager
internetofcoins.org/public/uploads/whitepaper_ioc.pdf
bitcoin-ethereum.appspot.com/
blockchain-technology.appspot.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

*and 28 to 2 and so on

I love you

gay

I really, really like your videos, 3Blue1Down! Thank you for the effort!

BLOCK 3:
>"gay"
>rss, 6498
->
>ytr

haha, no I'm not him, but he has his software open source on github and I used it

github.com/3b1b/manim

If you're into programming, subscribe to my channel too, though
youtube.com/channel/UCcrSMnEYhIPX_p127jI23qw

Don't know much programming, beyond some python babby scripting that i use for sysadmin.

Still subscribed though.

kk.
I do Python scripting too. Last week I had written this cheap password manager application:
github.com/Nikolaj-K/password-manager

Let me bump with another block

BLOCK 4:
>"biz"
>ytr, 9000
->
>acr

The point being that if I were to go to BLOCK 2 and change the information "bob" to "pop", the hash changes, and since it's used in BLOCK 3 the hash there changes, and since that one is used in BLOCK 4 here the current hash would change too. To make is a valid blockchain, I'd had to recompute all WORK

Mind explaining how those blocks become harder to compute as time goes on with coins like BTC?

Well here I used the task of multiplying 3 two digit numbers as Work but you can imagine any task.

On the bitcoin blockchain, the task is to to find some string that would map the current hash to some particularlooking string. E.g. I may give you
>gwu
and ask you which the letters are that translate it to
>awu.
The answer would be szz, because g+s->a and the other two are trivial.

Now I could ask you to instead map it to
>aau.
You'd have to work on the first letter and the second letter.

You see you can choose another job and things get harder.

You seem smart. Can you tell me if investing on the ICO of this thing is a good idea?
internetofcoins.org/public/uploads/whitepaper_ioc.pdf

or should i invest on blocknet?

I'm just getting into this myself, I can't tell. Besides, I come from a theory perspective and not from an investors. I personally favor any blockchain which come with a Turing complete language and has a non-negligable userbase, but my guess is as good as anyones.

nice channel and a calm voice, wish you luck with your videos

nobody interested in the tech?

not sure I understand even your simple example

ask

Or use this word "ask" to make the next block, BLOCK 5.
Challenge accepted?

come back to Veeky Forums ;)

haha.
yeah, I might but this is interesting right now. I think I'll gonna make a video on the stuff in this thread, maybe break it down more simply.

who are you?

>who are you?
you probably don't know me

you just interested in the blockchain tech or are you investing too?

Reading this gave me that tingly feeling I get when someone goes out of their way to help me, like when a stranger ties my shoes.

I'd like to see if there's a good language (such as solidity on Etherium) out there and learn it. Also got a mathematican interested in price analysis and will work on the difference crypto graphs and write algorithms that detect when something is going on. Or something like that

bitcoin-ethereum.appspot.com/

And yeah, I just finished the PhD last week and don't know what to do with my 300k starting, so I got a few k to throw away.

>I'd like to see if there's a good language (such as solidity on Etherium) out there and learn it. Also got a mathematican interested in price analysis and will work on the difference crypto graphs and write algorithms that detect when something is going on. Or something like that
>bitcoin-ethereum.appspot.com/
cool, I'll keep an eye on this, also subbed your youtube

>And yeah, I just finished the PhD last week and don't know what to do with my 300k starting, so I got a few k to throw away.
I'm in the same position... managed to pick 6 good coins and 1 bad one so it's been fun so far

>I'll keep an eye on this
Forget the website, that's just me stealing free domains. Like
blockchain-technology.appspot.com/

What are you working (on)?

>What are you working (on)?
an existential crisis

What were you working on?

class numbers