At what period would you say we had surpassed Greco-Roman architecture? I would say only in the 12th century...

At what period would you say we had surpassed Greco-Roman architecture? I would say only in the 12th century. Earlier churches and stuff looked kinda shitty in comparison.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Cathedral
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

In 537 AD.

Everything before the Crystal Palace in 1851 was just an imitation of Greco-Roman architecture, not anything fundamentally new.

That's literally Greco-Roman

>American who never built anything in his life asks when "we" surpassed Roman architecture

>implying this doesn't look like trash compared to the pantheon and other Greek/Roman temples

It literally looks like a factory.

>It literally looks like a factory.
I blame the T*rks.

>we

9th century Ireland

pic related

>A cross on an Egyptian obelisk near a pagan temple
2meta4me

Do you really think that crude looking shit compares to the Lighthouse of Alexandria?

>surpassed
>implying

Even Carolingian (so basically Byzantine) architecture was already superior to Greco-Roman.

By the 12th century we had created the Gothic style, which is pretty much the high point of all architecture ever.

Hah, that's kind of crazy. Looks even more surreal with modern people around, essentially atheists.

that's cool. i've never seen a castle in my life (none where i live). i really wanna visit Ireland.

America?

>the 12th century we had created the Gothic style, which is pretty much the high point of all architecture ever.
>Italians literally called Gothic buildings "ugly makeshifts"

t. snownigger

Also, most of the pre-11th century architecture you saw are memes. Most of the structure of the current structure of Aachen's cathedral in Germany doesn't date from Charlemagne's time for example. Pic related is what mid middle ages architecture actually looked like.

>most of the current structure of Aachen's cathedral in Germany doesn't date from Charlemagne's time

Fix'd.

gothic

superior in structural design and aesthetics

That's a matter of personal taste. You may like Greek temples or timber-frame structures better, it doesn't matter. From a structural point of view, certain Gothic naves surpassed the Roman structures in terms of height and width.

You only proved that Renaissance Italians were retarded butthurt faggots.

I can't blame them. Traditional Gothic architecture can indeed look too grim, too pointy and too messy at times.

>At what period would you say we had surpassed Greco-Roman architecture?
Whenever this got made

picture on the right only looks that way because they haven't washed it in hundreds of years, you dummy

>Traditional Gothic architecture can indeed look too grim

they are now having been unpainted for ages and with tons of soot

>Gothic
Everything is so rigid, sharp, and bony. Looks like death.

You seriously just posted as an example of "Traditional Gothic architecture" a cathedral built in the 19th century next to a train station in Germany and never cleaned since.

Gothic is the white man's architecture of choice.

Better pic

>fundamentally new
>implying architectural styles can exist in a vacuum
No. Even early Greek architecture was heavily influenced by Egyptian archetypes.

Gothic is objectively the high point of architecture. It certainly shits all over Greco-Roman, and almost as much on Renaissance.

>Notre Dame
>not heavily altered by Viollet-le-Duc

The best architecture was the result of French style and German engineering

Why is everything German so crap?

Looks like absolute shit.

>Gothic is objectively the high point of architecture

Baroque is.

>and almost as much on Renaissance.

No. Pic related is better than any meme Gothic cathedral.

Does Hellenistic count as Greco-Roman or is its own thing?

It was restored by Violet-le-Duc, as you can tell from the picture someone just posted it already looked the same before. The only major alteration he made was adding a much larger spire, which frankly isn't an improvement.

Strasbourg looks like shit, that whole Rhine Gothic is far too busy and lacks a proper sense of aesthetics.

lmao nice proportions

>wuz

Looks like shit. Gothic expresses pure force and energy, space and light and reaching for infinity. You posted some confused crypto-Muslim wannabe Greek shit that expresses nothing but mediocrity and lack of any creative impulse.

Yes, the proportions are one of the things that make it so great you utter pleb.

>does Greek architecture built by Greeks in Greek-controlled Egypt count as Greek?

>putting no rhyme or reason into the proportions is what makes it great
Talk about pleb, holy shit.

Traditional Gothic is a bunch of messy looking pointy shit. It has no class, no charm. Only edgy fedoras prefer it over anything else.

Put down the Spengler book, dude.

Are you retarded? Do you seriously not see how the elongation of statues fits with the shape of Gothic cathedrals?

No wonder an unimaginative pleb like you with no sense of aesthetics prefers the most uninspired style possible.

Greco-Roman > the Renaissance > Baroque > Modern > Postmodern > Mudhuts > Teepees > A bathtub full of feces > Gothic

t. proddy with a cuckshed as a church

>literal fedora shitting on the truest Western Christian style
>calling anyone a fedora

>pointy things scare me! I need my architecture to be soft and feminine and non-triggering so I don't feel threatened in my safe space

this ugly shit is the logical conclusion of gothic architecture

>not liking barbarian snownigger garbage makes me a fedora

Top kek.

Even Byzantine architecture is better than Gothic.

That has nothing to do with Gothic whatsoever.

Ugly statue blends well with ugly building, no surprise there.
Speaking of uninspired, shoving a statue against the structure of the wall is far less imaginative than actually using the statue as a column itself.

>this confuses and enrages the fedora

That looks like some kind of shitty circus attraction, holy fuck what a disgusting mess.

>France is snownigger now
lmao

I unno, the facade looks pretty good to me. At least it's not full of unnecessary arches, spikes and pointy towers that make the building look like an ugly mess.

>neo-gothic architecture has nothing to do with Gothic whatsoever

>unnecessary

Why? did God build that?

>muh meme flying buttresses

UGLY MAKESHIFTS:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Cathedral

>Italian architects regarded Gothic flying buttresses as ugly makeshifts. Furthermore, the use of buttresses was forbidden in Florence, as the style was favored by central Italy's traditional enemies to the north.

But it literally is, except unlike Gothic cathedrals where everything follows a sense of direction and coherence, this looks like someone just randomly threw together a bunch of incompatible architectural motives. How the fuck can you call Gothic a "mess" while posting this, it looks like it was randomly generated by a very bad AI.

I'm guessing you're some kind of Arab and that's why this garish Middle Eastern shit looks good to you.

I like the left more

That's not Neo-Gothic you dumbass.

>dude COLUMNS LMAO

>Italians were retards with no taste and incredibly butthurt at France

I think you've established that already.

Is that supposed to be impressive?

Even some Nuraghi are more impressing than this shit and they were made 3000 years before that

Not until Communism

then you have shit taste, objectively

>butthurt at France
Actually the Gothic style was considere the "maniera tedesca" - the German style

>we wont adopt this innovation because smelly baguettes invented it

typical italians

Does that dome even have a function?

Or maybe the French always had shit taste in art since they invented modern """"art"""" as well.

Flying buttresses are fucking ugly

No it wasn't you idiot, where do you even get this shit? It was literally called "Opus Francigenum" (French work). What the fuck would it have to do with Germany?

you dont understand art

The French invented almost every Western art style.

Are you retarded or just stupid?

Neither do the French

>posting a piece of prank art
>hahaha the french are shit

Because at the time Northern Italy along with Tuscany Iwas part of the Holy Roman Empire and the cultural exchange between the North and the Southern part of the empire very strong. The Gothic style arrived Italy via craftsmen from Germany.

This thread is proof that Frenchboos are as cancerous if not more than Wehraboos

Yes, the aesthetic difference manifested itself even in armors. White Italian armor looked much better than German Gothic armor. Emperor Maximilian realized this and made a new version that was just the Italian armor with Gothic fluting added to it.

Major French styles:
- Romanesque
- Gothic
- secular Baroque
- Classicism
- Rococo
- Neoclassicism
- Realism
- Academic
- Impressionism
- Symbolism
- Art Nouveau
- Art Deco
- Surrealism
- Expressionism
- Modernism

Major non-French styles:
- Renaissance
- religious Baroque
- Romanticism (although ended up mostly French)
- Pop Art

Looks like Gothic armor shared the excessive pointyness feature of it's architectural counterpart.

Maximilian now, the evolution of both styles combined. Only the fluting of Gothic was useful. Everything else was discarded.

>- Romanesque
>- secular Baroque
>- Classicism
>- Rococo
>- Neoclassicism

>We gonna copy the Meds, modify it a bit and claim its French style

Genius

>- Symbolism
>- Surrealism
>- Expressionism
>- Modernism

>>/trash/

Mohammed please, I know you hate the West but that's not the issue here.

The French are meds.

Why, Spengler was right about everything.

Civilisation wise, no
Frankish and Gaul tribes are closer to Germanics and Vikings than to Greeks and Romans

I think by "meds" he means sandniggers.

>Franks
Germanics, but they were a tiny minority in France even if they ended up giving the country its name.

>Gaul tribes
>closer to Germanics than to Italians
What the fuck am I reading

It's important to periodically clean these buildings to avoid the acidic elements of the pollution that sticks to them eroding the fine detail of the stonework.

Burn yourself at the stake, heathen.

I thought so. There's been one assblasted Arab on this board who keeps shitting on northern Europeans while claiming the Greeks and Romans as his people.

Atheist here.

They're an excellent way to have a stone structure that is both tall and has large windows, which is essential in northern climates where gothic architecture evolved.

You're a fucking pleb.

>Romans described Gauls as tall, blonde and blue eyed people with strong physiques

Sounds pretty close to Germanics to me.