Does anyone on Veeky Forums speak Latin? If so what have your experiences been like...

Does anyone on Veeky Forums speak Latin? If so what have your experiences been like? I just started and I want to know what to expect. Also, any tips would be helpful.

Other urls found in this thread:

thelatinlibrary.com/classics.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Speak
I studied classical Latin for about two years, learned it on a basic level. Fun language, relatively easy
>especially compared to the grammatical clusterfuck that is ancient Greek
and a very interesting body of original texts to read.

6 years here
>yay french curriculum
anywho its alot of things to learn by heart but rewarding in the end

No one speaks Latin

I saved Latin!

I studied for four years in high school. Wasn't too hard to learn but you never speak it. Most of the time I spent translating mythological stories and texts. The best part of knowing Latin is reading them in the original text.

I've heard it is harder to learn for English speakers though, what with the cases and such.

Well every language with cases is harder for English speakers but you get used to it.

as a french speaker the cases were fucked for me too
was learning german aswell, they fuck with some of the same ones so that helped

What did you ever do?

>tfw when did one semester of Latin
>tfw when people showed thought I was a weirdo and a geek because of it
>tfw switched to French
>tfw when our societies value more going to the gym than learning an ancient language.
Why normies must die.

>Ask roommate if he wants to come to the gym with me
>He replies in fucking Latin
>Alright, whatever freak
>Next month starts speaking poor French to me
>Can't even pronounce s'il vous plait
>This year just won't end

Why are you surprised about that? Being physically healthy is usually more important and self fulfilling than learning a dead language. Everybody can enjoy having a healthy body, but not everyone enjoys learning an unused language to read old stories that already have passable translations.

Normies need to leave but this is by far the dumbest thing about them to complain about.

>Come back from the gym
>made sweet gains today
>tfw I'm a sweaty Adonis
>open the door
>roomate is wearing that "loreeca dentata" or whatever he called that thing he bought off the internet
>starts waving a sword around yelling at me in latin
>something like "Tryblia immunda"
>He grabs a shield and strikes a war pose or something
>"PRO SENATUS POPULUSQUE ROMANUS"
>He fucking charges me
>I deck him
Fucking three more months living with that guy.

>dead langauge
>Latin
the religion of Roman Catholics world wide, mate.

Anyone have any recommendations for learning Latin online/resources?

I took 3 years of Latin in high school but if you don't use it you lose it.

You can have both, user. It's not like you have to choose one and only one.

Maybe cut back on the vidya and collecting piss in 2-liter bottles?

What Century you in mate?

lol really?

>decide to learn Latin
Gonna sound so fucking cool
>first lesson
>widi widi wiki, kaeser not Ceaser, etc
What the fuck
>tfw real Latin sounds gay as shit
>dropped out in a week
>learn Spanish instead

Familia Romana
A Latin grammar book, I don't know what are good English ones, I used a pt-br.
Philosophical texts, as they have simpler syntax and are more direct, concise etc. Also fables like "Mille fabulae et una" and "Richtie's fabulae faciles".
Then, start reading non-philosophical texts.
That is how I'm learning, I've so far read Spinoza's Tractatus de Intellectus Emendatione and Boethius translation of Porphyry's Isagoge (which I'm reading and rereading).

As for the online part:
Dictionaries:
>Wiktionary
>Perseus Word Study Tool
As for grammar, The Latin Library has some grammar pdfs, also check its list of resources:
thelatinlibrary.com/classics.html
There was a software for learning Latin, but I've lost it and forgot where I got it.

I prefer using ecclesiastical pronunciation. Don't give up just because of that reconstructed one.

>I prefer using ecclesiastical pronunciation. Don't give up just because of that reconstructed one.
This. It's not hard to change the pronunciations to ecclesiastical and reconstructed if you learned it one way. Latin isn't that hard, especially if you've already learned Spanish.

Personally I like the original Latin proncunciation. Reminds me of the Biggus Dickus sketch

agreed