>Holy
>Roman
>Empire
>Is none of those things
What did they mean by this?

Germans are just dumb subhumans t b h

/pol worships Germans you idiot

>politically incorrect

Well it all dates back to the Conquest of the Frankish kings. You see at the time Rome had been under threat to many rising kingdoms and Frankia just happened to Convert at the right time. They Proved to be strong fighters for the christian faith at tours. Since the Church was the Church and not an actualy nation or army it needed someone to rely on. Since Roman Empire fell and Rome was sacked, the Church was struggling to find a successor. Being that the Romans were Christain at the time of their fall and relied on the Church for part of their Political structure when Rome fell, The Chruch was trying to regain its status as a player and rebirth the Roman Empire. When the Franks proved themselves to be a strong power and upon Charlemagne's conquest it became apparent that Frankia would be the New Romans and thus Charlemagne was Crowned. Of course we know his legacy split and the Name of Roman Emperor did not hold well, we see the birth of a new type of Roman empire one named the Holy Roman Empire. A empire that had direct tie to the Catholic Church. In its original form it certainly had aspects of Holiness, Empire Like and since it was Based part in Rome the Roman title came into play. We know that this did not stay like this and that the Cluster fuck of small kingdoms dividing the HRE that is now Austira, Germany and France was certainly not in anyway an Empire, Roman, or Holy for that matter.

Most people who see the HRE image that cluster fuck of nations and think "how the fuck is that an empire or Roman? its not even touching Rome?"
well to answer it was romanish at a time, it was an empire, and Holy... is just more of a name that associated the empire to the Church.

Of course we often speculate and question: "did the Catholic Church have the rights to crown a new emperor of Rome?"
in all honesty I dont know? maybe... I dont think so, I personally think Rome moved to Constantinople and the success of Rome kept on going through the Byzantines.

At the time of its inception, Christianity was threatened by Normans, Arabs, Huns and Slavs. The papacy needed a strong force to rely on, and the ruler of the Regnum Francorum Orientalis Otto I. was eager to upgrade his underdeveloped kingdom into an empire. And thus the pope and king of the Germans created the Holy Roman Empire.

I think it's really crucial, like you say, that in the HRE the Emperor was crowned by the Pope, the Pontifex Maximus. Back in the Roman times, this was certainly not the case. During the republic the Pontifex Maximus was a separate office that a person could run for, and had very limited power compared to the consuls. During the empire i'm not sure how the Pontifex Maximus was elected, but he certainly was subservient to the Emperor (who was treated like a god, with his own cult of worship).

So then in the HRE the tables were switched, and now the Pontifex Maximus, the "builder of bridges", between the people and the spiritual realm, now crowns the Emperor, and is in other words superior to the Emperor. Very important and interesting to consider.

It was first established by the French.

Nice try but the HRE was created BY A FUCKING SAXON(See Otto 1) and was then ruled by Swabian-Bavarian dynasties(Hohenstaufen + Habsburg)

Finally, Charlemagne and the Carolingians were Flemish(and can barely considered as "Franconian") aka Ripurians.

BTW Merovingians are French

>/pol
>>>/reddit/

Blasphemous German Confederation

Habsburgs were Swiss.

Yeah and Romans are actually black people.

The Salian's ruled for a bit after Otto and were Franconian.

Not even close

They were Swabian, they just built their castle in what today is Switzerland but was part of the Duchy of Swabia back then.

>Holy
>Roman
>Empire
>neither holy, nor Roman, nor an empire
>Its actually all three of these
What did Voltaire mean by this?

see its people like you that give me hope for this board.

I know little about the rise of power for the Pope or as you'd properly say of course Pontifex Maximus. I am well aware however that prior to Augustine the Church without a doubt lacked popular influence and post Augustine was the building blocks for the Catholic Church's morel codes in a way. As the Church adapted the Doctrines of Augustine, we see a lot of intellectuals of the church influenced by the Saint and as an outcome, western society and Christendom can thank Augustine for sparking many schools of thought that we still have today.

Of course I'm only spitting out my general knowledge. It seems to me that there might be a link. -Rome falls, no more empire. -Augustine teaches that God is above all and such. -Pope declared to have the direct word of God. -Pope now has more power than any other being.

But perhaps my knowledge of history is missing some very specific events that aided to the Catholic Church becoming more powerful than any king would in the eyes of most.

It was at first and they kept the name for old times sake

/pol/ hates cucks, this means predominantly Swedes and Germans but from time to time includes English and French too

Voltaire was making memes before it was cool.

This is what Veeky Forumsterics actually believe.

>holy
Emperor is crowned by the pope
>roman
protects the pope and rome
>Empire
Ruled by the EMPEROR

is Veeky Forums really not smart enough to understand such simple things? Even /pol/ is smarter than this board

/pol/ is the absolute cucks themselves. Although they do fervently hate themselves so yeah.

/thread

Yeah, but it really was none of those things by the time Voltaire said it.

it is good to remind also that probably (we don't have a definite answer for this), the Pope was somewhat forced to crown Charlemagne, if not by brute force, by geopolitical circumstances. But on the symbolic level, the fact the pope crowned him, this switching of tables, surely tells us much about roman vs medieval society

as said It was not that at all by the time Voltaire was around. in fact the last emperor to be crowned by the pope was in 1530. Even then in the 16th century the HRE resembled a mess of separate nation states governed by an assortment of Clergy and high standing Nobility.

You can say that the HRE is worthy of its name for the first couple hundred years of existence but as we get into the 15th and 16 centuries, the title no longer holds such a strong resemblance to the actuality of what it was.

An empire that was founded in Rome by the Pope.

Whats so fucking hard to understand. This meme is fucking dead just let it go.

Learn history cuck

READ
You goddamn Philistine.