Veeky Forums, what makes history interesting/fun for you?

Veeky Forums, what makes history interesting/fun for you?
For me, it's the giant empires and countries that once used to be, and the thinking of the old people.

I like history because it's like reading a giant book that never ends

A bunch of cool stuff and cool people happened. It also helps that some really dumb shit took place as well.

its like going through a total war campaign: world edition in my mind

The lingering mystery of past organizations, economies, and personal networks. It's like studying modern diplomacy, bureaucracy, and media but replacing their intricacies and complexities with uncertainty, and trying to solve for the gaps.

The methodologies used to piece things together are neat as heck.

One thing that fascinates me about history is that through the constant and perpetual evolution of civilisation, our human nature hasn't changed one fucking bit. The aspect of ourselves that permeates the most when reading through our history is greed.

We always want more, no matter how much we have, and that's how we see empires rise to staggering heights and then fall into nothingness at the hands of another voracious group of people. Rinse and repeat.

It amazes me how events just kind of repeat themselves over and over again.

This. The world itself is amusing and incredibly absurd when you think about it.

I consider history a giant case study of human interaction, of what happens when you do x or y, how certain cultures deal with certain events like disasters, wars etc., and so on. It's really, really fascinating.

>be me, a horny adolescent 11 yr old
>open history book with illustrations
>see bronze age
>minoan titties illustrated grace several of the pages of book
>get hard on
loved history since then

it shows you basically all ideologies are meaningless

Aside for the reasons already mentioned, the idea of people wearing metal stabbing each other in the face in colorful, arranged groups is a powerful mental image. History is a great narrative.

I only really learn about history to understand the present

The successions of empire based off the back of one areas utilisation and prosperence of one group over another, and the gaps of civilisation growth that occur as a result in between. And what is going to occur next! Can any one individual potentially change the outcome I wonder?

Its not more we want but perhaps ever encroaching compromise to self perpetuation and whatever cloud/bubble of encompassing shit that that entails.

same here, i could sit and stare at those illustrations for ages as a kid, i remember thinking boy they sure did have their priorities straight when they designed those dresses
i would go as far as to say gawking at the drawings of those dresses is probably a major reason i developed into a boob man later

>historical geopolitics are objectively more interesting than current ones
>lore is literally endless
>I get to show tiddy in classes and it's okay because art

This. It's the story of humanity and by knowing the old we can better understand the present and future. Outside of that there is literally no point to learning history because who gives a shit? We can still advance as a society using the handed down science and math without knowing any of the history. If we don't use it to understand the present and the future then it's useless trivia about shit people in the past did. And nobody cares for those reasons except for the various wewuzzer who try to apply a very narrow set of accomplishments to themselves by proxy as if they did shit.

the same reason I like science, fantasy, science fiction, alternate history, realistic fiction, and probably some others
it all has some degree of a world to immerse myself in-- in the case of history it's the real world, but a version of it that doesn't exist any more

also it's interesting to see how people made do with what they had
old building practices, old travel methods, old medicine, old warfare
there's a lot of things we either take for granted or have never heard of that mean things were much harder in the past, but people still survived and made a life for themselves, and I like that, that gives me hope and inspiration

Best post

I like foreign cultures and geography. It was just meant to be.

It's seeing how societies, and politics evolve and change each other.

Just another form of escapism for me. Literally not one bit of difference between taking large doses of opiates, or binge watching reality tv.

In general, I have a fascination for things that change and knowing how they were before and before of that... same reason I like learning about the evolution of animal species and such.