What sort of history and history-related books did you read as a kid...

What sort of history and history-related books did you read as a kid? What sort of books got you into history as a whole?

pic related, Stephen Biesty's cross-section books

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4Q8i0CYs-CM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This was the most captivating book I read as a kid

>tfw this big ass book was in my school library

the Scholastic diary books were really interesting to me. Dear America, Dear Canada, My Name is America and Royal Diaries.

HAHAHAHHAHA YES

I HAVE ALL OF THOSE FUCKING BOOKS
I FUCKING LOVED THEM TO DEATH

They are all in my bookshelf right next to me, i had completly forgotten about them

Ernest Drake is an American Hero.

Historical fiction for elementary but I unironically read my history textbooks for pleasure in Middle School. In high school, I spent at least an hour a day trawling Wikipedia.

This

Oldfag detected. I got this book as a child in the 70s and learnt about Columba, Aidan and Cuthbert for the first time. I went on to study early British Christianity as a postgraduate.

All of these.

A huge shame that the author died before he managed to finish it. We only got to the early medieval era.

I couldn't find a picture of the cover on google images but the first history book I ever had was called something like "An Illustrated History of Ireland". The art style was kind of similar to these (which I also read and loved) but it didn't try so hard to be funny.

It had all sorts of cool drawings and stories. It explained the beginnings of the Irish people through a blend of Irish pagan and Christian myths as well as actual history.

When I got a little older, my granddad died and left me a few of his books on history and natural history, most notably Ireland Since the Famine (fantastic book on Irish history btw), Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and a signed copy of Attenborough's Life on Earth. Unrelated but he also left me a few spoopy conspiracy books that got me into /x/-tier stuff. There was one on cryptozoology and aliens that I can't remember the name of, and one called Naval Disasters of the 20th Century. He had filled both with his own notes on which creatures he reckoned were real and which shipwrecks he reckoned were inside jobs.

It makes me sad that I never really got to know him, he seems like such an interesting guy from his books and notes.

I used to just read through history textbooks and get a hard on about all the diagrams and descriptions of historical figures and equipment groups like the Roman army would carry into battle

Loved these books.

Wee these really aimed at kids?

J U S T

I don't really remember why I got into history as a kid. I suppose I always liked Greek Mythology (Reading D'Aulaires was god tier), and Redwall gave me an appreciation for Medieval styled life. I never really read any books on history particularly, but I was always good at it and knew a bit about it through video games and television documentaries.

Then I fell out of reading for my high school career, until I picked up a course in Freshman of university on Classical Roman Culture, and I was hooked since then.

These were great though. It tickled my macabre interests in stuff like Plagues, surgeries, war and torture.

what is going on here?

It's a person who died trying to climb up a latrine

Some poor sod died whike trying to enter the castle through a shit chute and now the occupants are...unclogging it.

Probably drowned in shit after getting stuck

>the skeleton buried under the dungeon

it's like a horrifying Where's Waldo

disposing of corpses

I didn't read history books as a kid, or even until I was about 18. I had figured it was all in the past and not relevant to today and that everyone was simply eventually going to wind up getting along and acting like Americans, so why study something that no longer has any bearing on things? It's at best a curio, a relic of another era and at worst just random trivia.

And then I got into an argument over some event with someone, I can't remember what it was. It might've been the Soviet Union and what was going on there and why. I had always assumed the Russians just did what they did because they didn't like us, and never posited why. And then I read up on their actions during and before WW2, read about their revolution, and every time I learned something, I found myself asking why the preceeding event happened, and having to read about not just what came before, but also tangential events that led to various other events as well. Before long, I was having to research the majority of world history just to understand the causes of different things, and then it dawned on me that every single current event and happening in the year we live in was all preceded by a previous event which shaped the sentiments and reasoning of the people instigating them.

Someone once said to me, "No sense in being part of history if you're too dumb to understand it," and while I didn't think anything of it at the time, looking back it was some pretty great advice.

>on the left side, the guy is shitting on the lower toilet, and his shit will get backed up against that corpse that blocking the pipe

god I love Biesty

Whoa, the nostalgia

here's the OP illustration with text for context

Anything with armor diagrams got me rock hard. The movie Excalibur played a large part in that as well.

My negroid compatriot

MUH NIQQA
Have been looking for these books for at least 5 years, thanks a bunch

I read a similar book as a kid. this shit was the best

Does anyone know the name of a book, probably from the guy who drew OP's pic - it went through the history of mankind, every 100 years I think with a general see-through image like OP's in the same artstyle!
P-Pretty please?

YOU DID IT AS I WAS WRITING MY POST
+2500 Thank you tons

>be me.
>be 12 years old playing xbox.
>started with world war two. playing cod 2 big red one.
>turn off game one faithful evening and turn on history channel.
>see a history channel playing band of brothers.
>go out and buy entire series.
>become completely fascinated with WWII.
>Desire to understand why it happened
>watch documentaries on nazis, and the European powers.
>leads me to learning about wwI.
>see a place called ottoman empire.
>read into them
>read into Byzantine empire
>read into roman empire
>read into every empire before rome.
>realize you now have a knowledge base of pretty much a general concept of every historical civilization that has ever existed since the beginning of time.
>be 18 now and graduate highschool.
>touch myself for a year and try figuring out what do now
>realize i can go to college and study history
>graduate with 4.0 gpa and a university with major in History.
>decide to join military so I can go to school for free and go for my graduate in History (currently doing this)

Holly shit

I wonder, how big are these cutaway books? Is it easy to see the details in person like it is in the higher resolution scans?

1989 - born

1999 - aoe
2000 - aok
2001 - aoc
2002 - aom
2003 - aot
2005 - ao3
2006 - twc
2008 - tad
2011 - aoeo
2013 - aohd
2013 - 2400 ELO

Use to read the AoK manual after school instead of homework and study printouts of the random generation maps on the bus too school.

Byzantines are easily my favourite civilisation in the game and the in game documentation on the history of the empires, weaponry, technology & society is just fascinating, from this I got into History in general for as long as I can remember. Listening to Greek Byzantine Choir singing chants right now on my mp3 player.

youtube.com/watch?v=4Q8i0CYs-CM