Would Jesus have still "sacrificed" himself to purge mankind of sin if instead of resurrection he would be damned to an...

Would Jesus have still "sacrificed" himself to purge mankind of sin if instead of resurrection he would be damned to an eternity of suffering in hell?

How can it be called a sacrifice if he lost nothing?

People have martyred themselves before when they knew they wouldn't come back.

>sacrifice when he didn't lose anything
Trading 3 days of torture for mankinds salvation is a smart deal desu

If he died on the cross to absolve humans of their sins, why is original sin a thing?

Why would God punish us for our "sins" which are actually what makes us human. Sounds like a cunt to me.

The pain of being rejected and tortured by the same people you love more than anything, praying for them to see the light while they gloat over their cruelty toward you - that pain is immeasurable and eternal (as every protracted pain feels eternal to one who suffers), and yet He preservered to serve as an example, to show us the light. And here you are, shitting on that sacrifice because you aren't able to comprehend the meanings of love, pain and sacrifice. You are a faggot, OP.

Meh.
He was God.

>How can it be called a sacrifice if he lost nothing?

What definition of sacrifice are you using?

He absolves humans of original sin, more specifically they are absolved before the judgment of God. Original sin of course occurred before Christ died on the cross.

No, being made in God's image and brought to life by his breath makes you human.

>God creates life
Absurd.

Go away, Plato.

J was actually crucified for three hours. Normal crucifixions lasted for several days. The for his death wad asphoxiation due to being stabbed in the side while on the cross.

God is life. His breath brought humans to life when he breathed it into Adam.

Nope.
God is spirit.
Mother Nature gives life,
you filthy life-denialist.

The Jehova withnesse believe that he was the archangel Michael.
The Catholics say the sun (Constantine wad a sunworshipper) or son of God.
The Protestants believe he was God himself. Meaning that he talked to himself a lot.

Are you drunk, friend

Spirit literally means breath.

“And the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living soul.”

I'm going by what the Bible says rather than my own idiosyncratic beliefs.

Why
What do YOU think?

>Catholic say the sun

Kys retard for this Chick Tract tier level of misinformation.

[Citation Needed]

Doesn't he spend the three days before his resurrection in hell though?

He dies traditionally around 3-6pm on Friday, he resurrected himself on Sunday morning.

That's far less than three days.

As I understand it Jesus didn't really go to hell he went to a place called Sheol, which is frequently mistranslated as hell to liberate the virtuous from a place called Abraham's bosom and to bring them into heaven. Some Christians argue that Hell does not exist biblically based on the whole Sheol thing. I wouldn't know, also doesn't what Jesus said to the third debunk that idea ?

“Jesus said to him, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.’ ”

**thief

Jesus was just making small talk while they were waiting.

Would have been prettt awkward otherwise

:O

It was a wordplay, brainlet. Constantine, who was responsible for the spread of Catholicism in Europe, was a sunworshipper. Make a leap and you'll understand why J has those sunrays around him. Praise be to the sun, amun.

Why? It's literally what those cults believe in.

Murderer, you're referring to Barabas, right?

Luke 23:39-43

39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”

40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[a]”

43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

The thief is unnamed, barrabas wouldn't be hanging next to him on the cross,according to scripture he was let go.

>He was God.
THIS
YAWEH AINT GOT TO EXPLAIN SHIT NIGGA

He was crucified. I'm willing to bet that even if you were immortal, you would still be too much of a pussy to be tortured and nailed to a cross.

>“Jesus said to him, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.’ ”

There is no time in Heaven, if there was time things would change and a perfect paradise or anything perfect, by definition, cannot change. This leads me to believe that we are all in the process of the creation of Heaven and Earth. The entire span of spacetime is contained within the instant of creation and we are all coming into existence in the eternal moment at once.

That's how I try to understand it, at least

Barabas was a Jewish freedom fighter/Roman rebel, my dude. Actually, I guess necessarily a murderer too.

Constantine didn't speak English. "Sole Invictus" doesn't sound like "Filius Dei." Also, Catholics believe Christ is the Son of God and God himself ("begotten, not made. Con-substantial with the Father), hence the Holy Trinity.

Christiany has the most ad hoc justification of any religion
>this is Jesus, from the house of David, the warrior king who defeated a giant
>he will free us from everyone
>he will drive those pesky romans away, for he is the messiah
>holy shit did they just capture him?
>why is he wailing and crying like bitch?
>is he... dead?
>.... lol, it was all just a methaphor guys he'll save us from beyond the realm of the living... r-right?

Rait

Well, the concept of a trinity wasn't new to them. Many religions had them. It was quite popular. He wanted this incorporated into Christianity the other Christian sects, like Arianism, refused.
The concept of a mother and son was found in other religions too, of which the Egyptian one is the most important one, because he worshipped the Aten, which is a part of Atenism. The sun/son part was a wordplay, but the symbolisms of Jesus being the sun is everywhere in the art that depict him as an adult. More so than him being the son of God.

Cry me a future
Where the revelations run amok
Ladies and gentlemen
Lions and tigers come running
Just to steal your luck

A rainy Lithuanian
Who's dancing as an Indian
Painted in my tiger skin
Especially in Michigan

Double chins and bowling pins
Unholy Presbyterians
Land is full of medicine
I find it when I'm slipping in

Of course he would, hes not human so he can act incredibly selfless.

The point of the sacrifice is to die our deaths for us, not to virtue-signal one's ability to suffer loss (though of course, the suffering of the perfect God himself on our sake certainly does teach us a lot about the divine humility, etc).

The Resurrection is the most important part of Christian salvation. If Christ did not rise again we would have no eternal life in which to participate.

>If Christ did not rise again we would have no eternal life in which to participate.

It's a thought 'experiment'. The scripture could easily be rejigged.

For example, Christ could not have resurrected but instead traded his eternal life for man's death. Thus he dies and faces the consequences that mankind would have and mankind gets the eternal life through his sacrifice.

The point of the thread is to consider whether he would still sacrifice himself if the consequences were permanent. Is God's love for mankind so great that he would (ignoring the omnipotent issue) damn himself in order that we may be saved?

Maybe, but we know that he had fear in Gethsemane and that was when he knew he would be resurrected.

The scripture could only be 'rejigged' if it doesn't tell us something fundamentally true about the conditions of human beatitude.

Jesus wouldn't sacrifice himself in the manner described because it would be futile, and hence, not a sacrifice for man at all. A sacrifice which didn't end in resurrection wouldn't be a sacrifice to redeem men from eternal death- we would still be bereft of contact with God, because the ontological gulf between man and God would remain unbridged. It is precisely in fellowship with Christ, who is in fellowship with God (and hence, not damned) that salvation *consists.* Whatever 'life' is secured by your alternative would not put us in contact with God in his fullness, and hence, would merely be another kind of damnation. God's love for man is not so great that he would do the logically incoherent to no good purpose. The thought experiment, it seems to me, fundamentally misconceives what salvation *is.*

Of course if we're throwing logic and revelation out the window, sure, Christ would do whatever.

>jesus is the best in history because he died for "our sins"

>"its ok if i force 10 million soldiers to go war "for our country""

le catholic country goverment

Cathars were the only Christians the rest worship Satan and this Satanic world

Third day not three days

Sheol is literally translated as "the grave." The ancient Jews were polytheistic and didn't believe in a literal afterlife. And they definitely didn't believe in a Hell until their beliefs synthesized with greeks.

But your grandparents dying means that they did not have eternal life. So isn't this proof for the fact that there is no eternal life or does this mean that you need to phrase your beliefs better? Again, dying does not point to an eternal life.

The book sbout Don Quixote tells us truths about the human condition tpp, but we do not take it literal. So that argument is mute. Guess its a believe. Thay religion of yourd, becausr an outsider would have to really do their best to believe those storiez. Tho, i'd rather believe in Star Wars as being a prediction of the future, Luke. Imagine that!

Can you reccomend me some good reading on this ?

Recommend us stuff