Humanities majors realize they are studying for a useless degree right?

Humanities majors realize they are studying for a useless degree right?

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/local/education/most-with-college-stem-degrees-go-to-other-fields-of-work/2014/07/10/9aede466-084d-11e4-bbf1-cc51275e7f8f_story.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Absolutely, even when I was doing my history degree I only thought about it as an excuse to laze about for three years. I was a bretty dumb 18 - 20 year old.

Surprisingly, no.
I mean I know, but I'm not sure my colleagues know.
The guys are admittedly the most realistic in their prospects. Most of the ones I met were already in skilled trades.

>going 500K in debt just so you can work at starbucks

do these faggots not realize you can just teach yourself history on the internet?

You can certainly teach yourself anything if you're smart enough. I would read history books though if you want to be self-taught at history, internet sources are appalling (unless you are talking about e-books).

Some folks have legitimate chances at museum and archive work
But uh, that's not most of em. Early undergrad history is full of war history jerkoffs

yeah, Im not talking about blogpost by aryansoldier666 about how Hitler was fighting the illuminaiti

but the internet is a great place to read good articles about history, or get information about great historians and books to read, or watch lectures and documentaries.

Its not like colleges are the gate keepers of some forbidden knowledge anymore and if youre curious and smart enough and look for yourself, its not hard at all to teach yourself about any historical period.

Yup. Humanities are only good as a personal hobby to keep you entertained while you pursue something of actual value.

Most higher paying jobs now just want a degree, just any kind of degree. As long as it's not in something very obviously dumb like contemporary dance theory, if you get a good grade from a good university most places will hire you no matter what it's in.

I'm a archivist who moonlights as a security guard and I do some art commissions on the side. I found history to be most interesting thing so that's what I studied. Paid off all my student loan on three years by not spending like an idiot. It's not that hard.

History is one of the humanities.

Yeah which is why its only good as a hobby.

Agreed, so why the image?

>Most higher paying jobs now just want a degree, just any kind of degree.

This. I wanted to go into Law and they prefer more well-rounded people who have done a different degree than law degree autists. History and the Classics are excellent starting points.

It has to do with the threads on this board. the History threads are the only worthwhile ones browsing.

The history threads are the worst.

Im thinking about studying anthropology. What am I getting into?

>tfw no multi millionaire old money wasp parents to pay me a $5k a month stipend to pursue an anthropology and history dual PhD
it's...it's not far

Hence why I'm studying engineering

What would you rather have me study?

This is a humanities thread and look how it turned out

STEM obviously. Become an actual valuable member of society.

>going to college
You people are stupid beyond measure.

The top three "history" threads after a quick page refresh.

Well, I'm a well employed (130k+/year) psychology major.
So I can't say it's useless. It does, however, bitchslap you around for a year or two until you find footing instead of simply scampering to the first major cubicle farm which offers their space for you to agonize like STEM majors often do.

Nice meme

DFW is perhaps the most well known product of MFAs. So it is possible, assuming you have the arrogance to know you actually can benefit from such an education.

those are good threads..

Imbecile.

upset no ones is buying your finger paintings?

This picture perfectly explains why putting history with humanities was a mistake. On that same thought /co/ would be the best board on Veeky Forums if it were just comics.

STEM or a trade school. If you aren't learning stem you shouldn't be at college probably.

Go to a trade school.

Depends on what we want to count as "humanities". Mathematics? Economy? Sociology?

>500K

I have $5,000 in student debt that I will be paying off, in full, in two months. I graduated with a BA in 'Liberal Arts' literally yesterday.

Why?

Because it's useful and will get you a job unlike humanities jobs. Pretty much everything else can be learned from a trade school or working your way up.

What is useful? A degree is pretty cheap, it gives you connections and the real jobs don't even care what your degree is (not that I need or want one). But go on, computer guy, if the genetic waste of your parents and grandparents didn't even manage to make enough wealth during the biggest economic boom ever seen, what do you think you are going to accomplish?

>it will get you a job unlike humanities jobs

Are humanities jobs not 'real' jobs? I could make myself quite 'useful' to any number of organizations with my background in art history. Curating museum exhibits, for instance. I would rather enjoy that, and I am indifferent to what I would be getting paid. Assessing the value, provenance, and veracity of art pieces is an incredibly valuable skill within the artwork market, on auction circuits and so forth. I could easily get into that as well, with my specific skill set.

If you can't land a job after college it's more likely because you lack and imagination, and not that you lack the 'right' kind of degree.

This, I'm a STEMfag but I'm certain that I would still have the personal attributes to get a competitive job that I love in a humanities field should I have chosen that. On campus most of the obnoxious children getting in pissing contests seemed to be kids that floated into engineering for want of something they are actually interested in, and that seems to hold true here; juvenile externalised justifications for a passionless shit-boring job.

No but they are in extremely low demand and don't pay well. Most people who get humanities jobs don't actually work in their major.

This is some hardcore projecting.

>I could make myself quite 'useful' to any number of organizations with my background in art history.
>Useful
>Art history
This is like the top tier of useless degrees.

>BA in Liberal Arts

I'm a BioMajor and I am scared about the job prospect for my future, I have no idea how Humanities majors can even sleep at night.

we don't. we shitpost all night

> implying 90% of stem jobs aren't going to poos and chinks these days.

Get the slip of paper in whatever you want. Get into management while you still can.

That's only because modern American politicians are dumb shits are are letting China get things like Crispr while the last few presidents (including Trump) only care about current economic issues not realizing that science is the key to future economic success.

>use
Undefined
dae reddit?

Actually, a good deal of it has to do with work visas - the class of Visas intended to allow a company to fill a vacancy with a foreign worker due to a shortage of skilled labor domestically.

Because the minimum salary for those visas has been lower than what someone would be paying a citizen for certain jobs, there's companies that try to secure those visas to let them pay their employees less. That's part of why you'll occasionally hear about literally impossible job requirements, like having 5 years experience in a programming language that's only existed for 2 years. By making it impossible for there to be any qualified candidates, they can generate a shortage with which to get a foreign worker.

Of course, if you're doing anything with a defense contractor or anything that needs a clearance you really don't have to worry about immigrants threatening job availability (even that visa thing I mentioned above isn't all that big of an issue).

Humanities has got the hottest chicks in the block. If you play your cards right you be ballin' for years.

>liking women
Look at this faggot

>valuable member of society

That's a meme.

Is Law somehow not considered part of the Humanities?

It makes more sense to make money with a good degree because woman care about money above all things.

It's not really a useless degree. It's the fact that people get the degree and don't want to go into the niches that the degree supports. Nearly everyone needs records managers, but none of my fellow history majors went into records management. I am quite literally the only one that actually works in our field.

>Because it's useful and will get you a job unlike humanities jobs
The majority of STEM majors work outside of their field. STEM is just as big of a meme as a humanities major if you're only doing it for employment. If you wanted a degree for employment, you would have gone to trade school.

I fell for the "any degree is better than no degree meme" and majored in Linguistics because I was very interested in that. After months of applying everywhere, ended up working at a lumberyard as a fork-lift operator, getting teased by yokels for having a "Ling-what degree?!?!" Stuck it out and moved up and up and up and now report directly to the CEO and founder of company 4 yrs later. I think the degree may have been a help later down the line, when I was competing against other people in-house, but not 100% sure.

I've since hired a couple hundred people, mostly younger than me (I'm 27) many of which have humanities degrees.

You only gain value to an employer through experience and job training. Going to school for a STEM or business is job training and you will be valuable at 21/22. Going for humanities may be enlightening/interesting/fun, but you won't have immediate value to an employer. You will likely need to work crap jobs for a while.

What you do in the 3-5 yrs after getting a Humantities degree is what will make or brake you. Find something tolerable with room for advancement and you'll be fine, but don't expect a STEM major lifestyle.

Graduating is like picking a class in Dark Souls:

STEM = Knight. Your starting gear/degree helps you chew through any early hurdles

Humanities = Assassin. Starting gear/degree won't help much but if you're careful you'll do ok.

Didn't Finish = Deprived.

Trade School = Sorcerer. Iffy starting gear, but late game you're on auto-pilot.

I need a source for that. I highly doupt math majors are working retail.

What about law school lads?

What a pointless analogy.

>Nearly 75 percent of all holders of bachelor’s degrees in STEM disciplines don’t have jobs in STEM occupations, according to a survey that reached 3.5 million homes, said Liana Christin Landivar, a sociologist with the Census Bureau. The bureau’s American Community Survey is the largest household survey in the nation.

washingtonpost.com/local/education/most-with-college-stem-degrees-go-to-other-fields-of-work/2014/07/10/9aede466-084d-11e4-bbf1-cc51275e7f8f_story.html

I'm not interested in empty headed SJW's

I am certain it is far worse for humanities majors.

>Bachelors
Kek, there is your issue. You need a graduate degree to get a science job.

Law school is different because you are going to a specific school to learn a specific trade.