Why do we like games? They seem useless

Why do we like games? They seem useless.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senet
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They're... fun?

>Ancient Egypt
>Chess

Same reason people dream.

because it's biologically neccisary?

Have you never played a game before OP? It's because they're fun

Where does the fun come from?

emulating the human nature of competition

It's probably supposed to depict Senet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senet

own minds

>They seem useless.
Personal incredulity, the post

Play in most animals is basically practice for things they need to learn, in a safe setting. Animals with more complex minds can play in more abstract ways. Humans are basically the extreme end of the spectrum. Peacticing thinking strategically is fun because strategic thinking is valuable but requires practice.

Finally an informative post.

Humans find learning, adapting, discovering, and optimizing to be "fun".
Games are intellectual problems and contests of wits, which presents a task for the human mind of solve and understand, especially against an opponent.

See also: Sport (physical game), Activity (noncompetitive game)

Why would people play chess rather than peel potatoes?

>Why would people play chess rather than peel potatoes?

Wow, user. You really peeled my potatoes.

>Beating someone by simply thinking
It's basically using telekinesis to bully someone with social rocks

i saw the boardgame they are playing in this pic in a museum recently. looks really fun, w2c?

Because of a forgotten esoteric concept known as "fun".

Wittgenstein thought that language was structured like a game.

As you might expect from someone brought up around Viennese humour.

Competition mostly. We like to have the biggest dick in anything.

Didn't Chomsky play chess and then stopped because it found it a waste of time? Does he even have fun?

>Chomsky
No one cares.

>neccisary
sleeping is, dreaming is not. we dream because we are infinite consciousness compressed into a single entity in spacetime. we like to play games because this life is essentially a game, we are god, we created this holographic reality to experience ourselves as being separate.

From chess to CS:GO. Why is combat/conflict simulation the most popular genre throughout the ages? Why don't people make a game out of peeling potatoes (optimize the amount of tuber left on skin, beat your opponent in the amount peeled in a certain time frame)?

>why would a highly aggressive and territorial creature partake in activities that at least some level simulate combat?

Now it dawns on me why it's usually only males playing.

I am the Senet!

Not yet!

It's treason then...
ROOOOOOOOOARRRHGHHGGG

Definitely not senet. Different board entirely.

that's some tacky meme shit right there but I can't say I didn't laugh

>Study Urban Planning and Geography
>Finish reading articles
>Proceed to play city skylines to relax

> german playing forklift simulator.jpg

kids learn by playing
playing is the most efficient way of learning
because we like it, its useful and entertaining
how many of you learned/got better with the english language just by playing some game

War is so much better on a computer than in reality.

we are one of the least aggressive mammals
we do like those wargames because instead of driving a fork through eachothers eyesockets, we shoot eachother on a screen

same reason we shout and swear instead of breaking limbs without a word
channeling aggression into non violent actions

The board for Senet has just two rows tho (iirc)

>Chess
>the piece are all the same
wew

everything is useless

Senet is actually a really fun game. The late game is fucking intense.
It evolved from a simple pastime to a ritualistic metaphor for the soul's journey through the afterlife.

“This is the nature of war, whose stake is at once the game and the authority and the justification. Seen so, war is the truest form of divination. It is the testing of one's will and the will of another within that larger will which because it binds them is therefore forced to select. War is the ultimate game because war is at last a forcing of the unity of existence.War is god.”

The judge smiled. Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work. He knows too that the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard. Games of chance require a wager to have meaning at all. Games of sport involve the skill and strength of the opponents and the humiliation of defeat and the pride of victory are in themselves sufficient stake because they inhere in the worth of the principals and define them. But trial of chance or trial of worth all games aspire to the condition of war for here that which is wagered swallows up game, player, all.”

because humanity isn't materialistic

Why do we like Veeky Forums? It seems useless.

Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

As can be seen with the Trump presidency and Hitler

Leave and don't come back until you learn how dumb you sound

》Veeky Forums
》/making people know history

哈哈哈

Boredom is our greatest enemy.

>t.Pascal

I am no one.

God damn it

because they are one of the pleasures of life
>inb4 - but they are pointless
yes they seem so, but they keep out brain's active so that so synaptic trimming occurs.

Here is a good riddle for you anons:
I'm one of five, I'm not alive. The one who sent me forth became king, The one who received me died.

What am I?

I think the artist just kinda winged it, I mean those pieces are 100% not chess pieces, and it doesn't look like they are actually playing chess, just something else on a chess board.

But who gives a fuck that painting was made thousands of years after what it's depicting

this. games like oblivion really improved my english.

Death?

>death
>one of five