Are there any actual historians with advanced degrees who post here? If so...

Are there any actual historians with advanced degrees who post here? If so, what do you do for a living and how did you get your job?

>Are there any actual historians with advanced degrees who post here?
I can guarantee there aren't. This is a cointainment board to keep retards out of Veeky Forums.

I'm a few months away from an MA in archaeology if that counts.

>If so, what do you do for a living and how did you get your job?
I'm still a research assistant for my university for now. The faculty in my department thought I was smart, so they started paying me to do work for them. I'm currently applying for real jobs for when I graduate.

Veeky Forums
Veeky Forums
/int/
Veeky Forums
/pol/
/b/

Are you planning on getting a PhD? Do you have a job lined up after your MA?

I graduated last year with a degree in history. I've done nothing but work at Home Depot and drink.

>Are you planning on getting a PhD?
Not currently. I almost started applying to programs, but I'm kind of burned out on school, and want a few years actually working before doing that. It's definitely still a possibility, and mostly depends on how I feel about it in a few years. though; a couple of my professors were definitely pushing me towards it and are kind of disappointed I didn't go straight into one.

>Do you have a job lined up after your MA?
Not yet. I just started applications, but it seems like my chances are pretty good.

Most people who take a few years off between getting their MA and PhD never end up getting their PhD.

I'm aware that's usually the case, but it's actually pretty common in archaeology today. I don't think I've had a single professor under 50 who didn't take a few years off before going on to a doctorate.

Part of the reason for that is probably due to the nature of the field. Basically, a PhD is only good for teaching at universities. Outside of that context, it really doesn't help you, and can actually be kind of a hinderance because 1. If a company can hire someone with an MA to do the same job, they will, and 2. Someone who ends up a PhD, but has never worked professionally is still only really qualified to do entry-level and slightly higher jobs. So most people don't want to take that extra step and possibly hurt themselves with a degree they might not use. Plus, even having an MA is something most people (Even in higher-level positions) don't seem to have in the area I'm applying.

So I'm really not that worried about it. It's common enough for people in my position to do, and it's not something I'm even sure I want to do yet.

Probably not, considering most of the topics here deal with religion and wars.

I'm a year away from my MA in history and I'm wanting to teach high school history.

Universities aren't hiring history professors like they used to, so I am not considering my PhD at the moment.

That being said, I applied for a summer internship at a museum. I'm open to working in a museum.

kek, well done

>I'm wanting to teach high school history.
Are you fucking insane? You want to teach to a bunch of brats that dont want to be there and will be rude to you if given the chance?. At least in universities and colleges most people are there because they want to.

I work as a history teacher at a rich school in a 3rd world country. Comfy af tbqh

too late, ha!

I will graduate in history in the ending of semester and I'm already teaching. I love it and my students actually like me.

Clown works in a museum. That's about all I know.

I teach history in a shanty town in a third world country.
The reason for that is I am only half way done with my degree and +50% of the courses approved is enough to teach in schools no one wants to teach in (by law they have to give those students a history teacher, and the second best option after a historian is a history student close to getting the degree)

after a couple of years I would like to teach History in a nicer school, although Shanty Town does have more "change the life of a student" potential.
I would also like to become an English teacher after I get my History degree (University is free here). Its a much better job, more in demand (in third world non english speaking countries) , more objective and far less ideological than being a history teacher.

I have done my PhD and I did my research on Italian migration to Australia. I currently work as a researcher and lecturer at a university in Australia.

I always revered my history teachers. I thought it was what gave the profession in general its dues.

In order;
English
Maths
Science
Art
Sport

>falling for the academic jew
no thanks, I prefer the real truth

>the real truth

Poorly/unsourced infographics on /pol/?

better than unsourced jewish propaganda

But academic history books and articles are extremely well sourced with primary and secondary sources. I mean it would make sense for you to claim that the sources themselves are Jewish propaganda, but to claim they are "unsourced" is just incredibly stupid.

>primary and secondary sources.
usually jewish or fabricated by the jews

How do you know /pol/-tier thinkers aren't just false-flaggers planted by the Jews to generate sympathy for them?

Can you provide me an example of a credible historical source or history?

Thanks.

Over about the past year, this board has genuinely come off as being smarter, or at least better-focused, than Veeky Forums. People actually try discussing various on-topic items and regularly offer reasonable opinions, /and content changes at a reasonable pace/. Finnegans Wake/Infinite Jest/New Meme posting is the regular thing on Veeky Forums these days, and isn't even carried out very seriously anymore.

Obviously the Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums userbases have large overlaps,

This together with your reasonable claim (which necessarily excludes you as any sort of authority worth listening to as well) that RL historians don't come here generally lets us dismiss you.

Your central claim that Veeky Forums is a containment board is happily false, based upon the evidence that Veeky Forums itself manifests. Substantive discussion occurs more frequently on this board than almost any other board on Veeky Forums that I can recall using recently, as one dadum. People are dumber and meme more often on Veeky Forums these days.

I think he is just messing with you.

In recent months I have come to realize that /pol/ is a satirical board. Especially when you see them made up of entirely non-whites that show up on the HWNDU cameras

the greatest story never told

>I think he is just messing with you.
nice jidf tactic

Good one, user.

>2017
>going to college for any degree

lmao

Where do you live? Sounds like a Latin American country

Brazil.

How are the kids/teens you teach? Do they disrupt you a lot, or do they listen? Easy or hard to control?

Not the guy you were replying to but from experience, /po/ and /an/ seem to be the most on topic and useful

I am actually from Argentina, I think that "Brazil" post was a guess. the situation must be similar there.

I can't teach in Buenos Aires city (where I live), because they only accept people who have already graduated, but I can teach in Buenos Aires province (the suburbs of Buenos Aires city belong to it) because they accept students who have approved over 50% of the courses if they cant find any teacher for some school (which is often the case in shanty towns, no one wants to teach there).

The groups arent very homogenous, there are kids who want to learn, sons of immigrants from Bolivia/Peru/Paraguay, kids who are only there because they have to be there for their parents to get welfare money (the state gives you some money per kid, but only if they dont drop out of high school), kids you dont give a fuck, criminal kids, kids who are only there because of the free meal etc.

In my experience if you try to save everybody, you save nobody. So you teach to the kids who want to learn, and tell the others "go play with your cell phones in the back of the class and try to not make a big fuss".
At least that way you do end up helping some kids.

I have a J.D., which I guess quasi-qualifies me to talk a bit about legal history, but not history in general.

As for what I do? I practice family law and I started my own firm.

Interesting. I take it you're not assessed as a teacher on the basis of your whole classes' performance then?

I hope those kids that want to be there manage to pull themselves out of poverty

Masters in Public Policy, but I took a ton of history.

Worked in intelligence for awhile and published on terrorism, which required extensive historical research. I switched to local government for less stress, wanting to start a business eventually.

Discovered that people can impartially discuss drone strikes, but God forbid you want to hike rates for trash pick up or tell them there is no money to fix a pothole on their street and they WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU.

Will retail jobs hire you if you have a PhD?

out of pity, perhaps.