I just realized that every successive nation in history only survived because they deleted regional differences and...

I just realized that every successive nation in history only survived because they deleted regional differences and supressed local cultures, and formed one big unified nation.

Is this true or false?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbian_languages)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwan_(school)
bautzen.de/aboutbautzen.asp?mid=142&iid=177
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Clearly there wouldn't be sucessive nations if that were the case, dimwit, there would be no new nations left to succeed to first one.

And there aren't any. When you read medieval travel journals, you read about huge cultural differences within France, Italy, Germany, Spain etc., but just try and imagine France getting split up in different nations. Its impossible, because now, France is only one nation.

I think its more that regional cultures were integrated and tolerated making it a patchwork of co-operating sub cultures.

I want a Belarusia based on ethnic boundries

sparta

theres literally dozens of examples of cultural tollerence by megalith tier civs

>No Low German
whew

Redpill me on serbo Croatian Veeky Forums is it true that prior to its standardization in the 19th century the region was an uncivilized wasteland host to a thousand different barely intelligible Slavic and Latin based patois?

It can be true but it's not a rule senpai, look at Persis after the Muslim conquest, Middle Persian became the language of near all iranic nationalities (destroying languages like Median, Bactrian, Parthian etc) but after a brief unity under the caliphate it descended into a clusterfuck for over a thousand years and only recently (and after a VERY slow process) did it become a unified nation state

Early Islamic rule was fairly tolerant

That would make no sense since the regional cultures got demonstrably deleted

sorry if my English is bad btw

Is it true that Wales is culturally less English than Ireland?

And those states didn't really survive that long. Ottomans are in my mind another example of empire that was tolerant, but you can see how it caused internal instability, whereas Russia was the most untolerable bitch, who genocided whole ethnicities and in 20th century they basically controlled half of the world.

Not everywhere desu.
In turkey for example every region still has its own cuisine amd different folk dances and customs but everyone sees themselves as a turk.

No, they're just better at preserving their old language. There's never been a Welsh IRA after all.

>own cuisine amd different folk dances
Those are just meme "cultures"

I am talking about the language, the way of thinking, the set of morals, the way people live everyday life. Wearing a slightly different dress doesn't make you a different culture.

False, Sweden and Finland survived as a single nation for hundreds of years despite different cultures.

I'm not sure there's any nation that has actually managed to delete regional differences completely. Suppress them, even assimilate to a degree, but not delete.

Medieval France wasn't fully united until around 1500. There were huge cultural differences between the Occitan south amd Metropolitan north (and still), and Breton and Picard identities remained very strong until around 1900. There are plenty of Independence movements today in Italy (Venice, padania, etc) and Spain (Catalans, Basques, Galicians, etc). And if you really think the culture in Bavaria was ever similar to tha in Prussia, you're deluded.

No, the Welsh are overwhelmingly pro-UK.

its a bit dodgy because back in time only the upper class mattered
nobility, clergy and the representatives of the free cities

if you wanted to advance in politics you had to adapt
nobody cared what language the peasants are babbling or what habits they keep as long as it doesnt interfere with the law

nowadays the "peasantry" matters aswell so it may seem like if you dont support their special snowflake tendencies, you are oppressing them

I am not saying they managed to do it perfectly (also i'm not saying i'm expert on the subject), but for example in France you can notice it very clearly. And what caught my attention is that it seems to be common sign for every succesful empire. If i'm not mistaken, even in Germany, which is most regionally diverse from what you mentioned, there were kind of succesful culturally unifying attempts during the second empire period (with Prussian being the model culture).

Since i feel like i'm losing the point, i guess if i should sum it up in a question it would be:

Was there ever succesful tolerant (multiculti) state?

Rome
America
Numerous caliphates

Well I guess you're just retarded then. Just look towards how the people think morally in different places in a country and you'll find the culture.

>America
Never heard of state called like that

>No venetian language
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

t. Pedro Sanchez de Juarez III

No. Where did you get that?

>Ottomans are in my mind another example of empire that was tolerant, but you can see how it caused internal instability
literally lasted 600 years
>whereas Russia was the most untolerable bitch, who genocided whole ethnicities and in 20th century they basically controlled half of the world.
>what is chechnya
also they lost ukraine wich literally is the origin of Russia

Occitan is dead and all of the regional languages in Europe save for catalan are dying out. In a hundred years you won't have an argument to stand on and everyone will speak standardized languages.

Deal with it.

Ah, so a dumb /pol/poster then. Leave.

>France is only one nation
>I have never been to Britanny

This is factually wrong. Minorities get special protection from the EU and for example the regional languages in Germany (eg en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbian_languages) have more learners/speakers than 30 years ago.

From what i heard, its pretty much the same as rest of France now, nobody speaks Briton there anymore.

Well I lived there for a year and I you are wrong. They have a (catholic) culture that they strongly distinct from France and they cultivate their language using EU money: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwan_(school)

I also had some people telling me that they don't vote because they are not French. Those are nutjobs for sure but on remote islands you meet people like that.

>special protection

Irrelevant because it's too economically important to learn German/French/Spanish/Italian. All the special protection in the world won't save Occitan.

>Sorbian have more learners/speakers than 30 years ago.

Wrong.

>Since 1989, the immigration of Germans no
longer undermines the stability of the
Sorbian population but the emigration of the So
rbs themselves. As a result of switching from
a communist economy to a free-market one, the une
mployment rate in th
e region is currently
at around 20%. Many young people are leaving th
e region to find a job in former West
Germany. It is even feared that "the major
ity of children growing up in Lusatia today will
probably be forced to accept training a
nd jobs outside the region" (Glaser 2002).

>Of the second generation, onl
y 8% learnt Sorbian as their
first language, and one informant reported havi
ng been raised bili
ngually; all the other
informants indicated German as their firs
t language. In the third generation, only two
informants indicated Sorbian as their first
language, the younger of the two being born in
1968. It was thus the first generation Sorbians
, who raised their children between 1937 and
1956, that no longer transmitted Sorbian. In view
of the immense pressure exerted by the Nazi
regime to assimilate, these results are not su
rprising. In addition, the
first generation did not
receive any support from the school system
. Contrary to Saxony where Sorbian was
introduced in the education system directly
after World War II, Sorbian teaching in
Brandenburg was not introduced un
til 1952 (Norberg 1996b: 50-94)

>200k speakers
>nobody

>200k 60 year olds
>not dying out

Nobody's passing your languages onto their children. They'd rather educate their children in French. Occitan is dying. Deal with it.

>hehe copy-pasting will make me look smart
The chart is bullshit. Afaik I know the GDR didn't count the Sorbian speakers and so the 1956 and 1987 numbers must be estimations.

The Sorbian regions are economically fucked. The only future they have is in tourism and for that purpose they cultivate the language and their traditions: bautzen.de/aboutbautzen.asp?mid=142&iid=177

>Everything that disagrees with my opinion is just a jewish lie!!!

Okay, I'll stop feeding your quest for attn then. Loser. See you in 50 years when Sorbian and Occitan are dead and you're crying like a bitchnigga.

>Nobody's passing your languages onto their children. They'd rather educate their children in French. Occitan is dying. Deal with it.
>In 2014-2015, 3,854 pupils attended Diwan schools throughout Brittany at all levels from preschool to the Baccalauréat. A Diwan preschool opened in Paris in September 2004. The network included 35 primary-level schools as of the start of the academic year 2007.
I already linked an article which features the ongoing expansion of Breton schools. You chose to ignore that. You can, I am neither French not Breizh, and I hardly care but you are so wrong. I don't even know why are you are talking to me about Occitan senpai either.

>changing the goal posts because he can't even link Occitan figures

LOL

4000 kids won't save Breton either though. see you in 50 years deluded regional user.

Well you improperly quoted something with made up(?) numbers and didn't even provide a link. I am totally sorry that source criticism triggers you.
I go on vacation to Sorbian parts every 1-2 years and the language is flourishing. Saying that people in Cottbus or Bautzen learn German for economic reasons just shows that you have no clue about Germany and its economy.

I never once said anything about Occitan. Also its 4k per year since 1987 so yeah. You suck at reading.

>Switzerland

What

false

the regional differences exist and are embraced

>here were huge cultural differences between the Occitan south amd Metropolitan north (and still
>and still
No. Just no. What's with Americans and their obsession with French regionalism ? Do you want France to split up so bad ? There is almost no difference between Northerners and Southerners today, Regionalism is dead. Regional languages are dead and won't come back. Diwan schools are just a way to some lefty parents in Bretagne to feel like special snowflakes and ask for more subsidies like they always do.
Most French people come from all over the country. """""Occitania"""""" is the biggest meme ever and the only place ùi ever heard of that shit as if it were a thing is in Veeky Forums. Even in medieval times the south was never united. The most you got was a group of similar languages and they disappeared. I don't understand why you people are so bent up on making it a thing, why are you so obsessed with regionalism, why do you care and why is France always split in 10 different parts in all the meme "redraw Europe" maps ? Fuck off, the south and the north only make one country and the ramblings of a few hippies who want subsidies to feel special won't change a thing.

>Britanny
>nation
Please.

>lose argument
>wait 10 minutes
>respond to other posts
>still ramble about Occitania
Bitch you got BTFOd. Leave with some remaining dignity.

I'm not the same guy I just found the thread.

French here
I went to Brittany a lot of time, and it's literally no different from the rest of France
Everyone speak French (even the very few who can speak the regional language never use it outside of folklore events) and no one is "independentist" except edgy teenagers and hobos

The only region in France that really have cultural differences is Corsica

>what is silesian
>what is kashubian

Not him, but Switzerland has four languages (2967 dialects), two religions and has been doing fine for centuries now.

Yes, but their culture is very uniform

IDK, is it that much more uniform than e.g. yugoslavia?

If language and religion aren't parts of culture, then what is?

>muslims were tolerant meme
how does this still exist? I guess kidnapping Christian women to go into the haram is very tolerant behavior.

Italy needs to bring back Sicilian, Sardinian, Neapolitan, Piedmontese, Tuscan, etc.