Why did the gangs with honor codes, classiness, and organization all seem to die off?

Why did the gangs with honor codes, classiness, and organization all seem to die off?

1. They didn't. The Five Families and shit are still around but no longer have to do their own dirty work
2. On the street level that kind of system can't compete with gangs with no honor code.

The "honor code" is just a way to shield higher-ups when your corner boys get busted. It's not different than "snitches get stitches"

RICO Act meant the government can take your house, your savings, your car, and kick your family out on the street. People became a lot more willing to testify. Didn't help gangs were smuggling heroin into the states.

When people stopped making movies idealizing contemporary criminals

Pretty much this. Modern day gangs operate pretty much the same way that the mafia did in the past: lots of petty crime, and bosses doing what they can to get rich and protect themselves.

They still exist, they are just much better at hiding the crime and money laundering.

I live in NJ, and there are businessesthat are well known to be shady as fuck.

This. The idea that people who operate sex slave rings and have families burned to death for not paying protection money, having a honour system that's not glorified self preservation, is laughable.

The Mafia went white collar due to RICO and Gotti being a giant moron who thought he could flaunt the law openly forever.

They found white collar crime a lot more profitable with a hell of a lot less risk of ruin.

Also, the Sicilian Mafia still does all that shit.

OP here when I meant honor code I meant how certain crime families of the past would for example not openly brag about their lifestyle to local children (WE wuz drug dealaz nd shit!), how many had strict rules to not touch women or children unless a high level problem occured, etc.

There still isn't much of a difference. Plenty of accounts of the mafia talk about using children to run errands and do other favors. Conversely, I grew up in an area with lots of hardcore gang members, and children were always off limits from activities; they would even frequently tell kids to stay away from them and make gang life seem as unappealing as possible (until they were old enough to seriously want to join).

Criminals are criminals. They're always scumbags and always have been.

America ought to be really wary of triads imo. They are backed by the Chinese state and ethnic Chinese when they take over organised crime basically run the country into the ground, see Laos and Cambodia.

Black criminals don't even earn that much money. They're just low level pushers.

This. OP, I think you have big misconceptions about both old and new gangs.

>not to touch women

Apart from ones in their prostitution slave rings eh?

Triads vs ghetto niggers is a fight I'd pay to see desu

Playing dirty is more effective in crime if youre a lowlife. Most classical mobs operate through legal enterprises nowadays.

They weren't any different from how they are now. Mussolini knew how to handle these degenerates.

One judges son was dissolved in acid.

Romans didn't fight with "honor" and they curbstomped the "honorable" Celts

So much this

Old school mobsters were just Italian-American thugs who liked breaking shit, stealing, killing and threatening people. Guys were crude morons mostly. Then the Godfather comes out, and suddenly they all wanna wear clean tailored suits and have fancy dinners.

t. Stepdad's father was a made man

The Triads will be fighting against cartels and Maras, American gangs, black or white, are all pussy shit compared to Sinaloa, Medellin, Gulf, Zetas or MS-13.

cocaine's a helluva drug

>mafia
>honorcode
Their honorcode was pay our racket and follow our orders or we bump you off.