What advice did he have on the topic of studying military science?

What advice did he have on the topic of studying military science?

Other urls found in this thread:

wargame.ch/wc/acw/sub/vmi/VMI/PDFs/The Military Maxims of Napoleon.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just be yourself.

Too kek

bumping

For one thing, he suggested reading and re-reading about the campaigns of Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar, Gustavus Adolphus, Frederick, and so on.

But I don't know if I would really want to take his advice. He is not really one of history's top-tier generals. Spent the years after 1807 or so using shit tactics and strategies. Hey diddle diddle, straight up the middle. Mass rather than brains.

Don't know what happened. He started out so promising.

Supa-kek

Where could I find the primary sources for this? I know it should be easy but I haven't found the keywords yet

made me laugh

>He is not really one of history's top-tier generals
There's an entire era of history named after him you anglo pleb.

Primary sources for the quote? Good question. I had never questioned its provenance before. It appears in the so-called "Maxims of Napoleon", but I'm also having a hard time tracing the authenticity of that work. However, it seems to have wide acceptance among historians.

wargame.ch/wc/acw/sub/vmi/VMI/PDFs/The Military Maxims of Napoleon.pdf

I just think that to be a really top-tier general, you have to win in the end and prove adaptable enough to changes to make that happen. So Hannibal and Napoleon are out. Both brilliant, just not top-tier. Napoleon just kept doing the same thing over and over once the rest of Europe had caught up to the French military "system" and gusto.

>you have to win in the end

That's a stupid criterion. It will favour generals who were on the right side of history, and generals who didn't fight many wars.

>Right side of history
It is all a matter of morals.
I have just decided that you're on the wrong side of history, does that make me the winner?

Morals and the art of war*

>you have to win in the end

Everybody dies user

It has very little to do with morals, unless you're a Marxist. The British were on the right side of history when they forced the Chinese to buy opium at gunpoint.

>Napoleon just kept doing the same thing over and over once the rest of Europe had caught up to the French military "system" and gusto.
"I know nothign about Napoleonic warfare"

Ok, it's a bit of a simplification, but still...

Eylau - brute force attrition battle
Aspern-Essling - maneuver
Wagram - brute force attrition battle
Borodino - brute force attrition battle
Lutzen - some maneuver
Bautzen - brute force attrition battle
Dresden - maneuver to engage
Leipzig - brute force attrition battle
1814 battles - maneuver to engage
Ligny, Waterloo - some maneuver to engage, then mostly brute force attrition battles

Napoleon had lost some of his touch and other armies had caught up to the French. Pre-battle maneuvers less and less frequently put the enemies of the French in a compromised position. Once engaged in battle, Napoleon more and more resorted to just allowing big, inconclusive all-day brawls.

And that's just the operational/tactical level. On the strategic level, too, Napoleon didn't do too great. There was the Spanish mess and the failure of the Continental system. Then the Russian disaster. Then the pause he agreed to in 1813 that let his enemies build up strength.

And then 1814 comes along, where he beats every single General sent against him while outnumbered all the time.

Too little, too late.

If Napoleon is a bad general, who is a good general then? Im asking seriously.

Also check those dubs.

Wellington
Nelson
Malborough
Haig
Montgomery

>implying you have to be English to realise the abomination he did to all those borders

>ywn kill all those Saxe- dukes to stop the Germans holding the queen hostage

not failing just proves that your appetite was too small

>Wellington
Only really impressive shit he pulled was Assaye. The rest of the time he just fought against tired and harrased and second rate enemies.

Napoopan fought 71 battles and lost 8
Wellington fought 50 and lost 8.

Anglo bait

Holy fuckin'kek
Marlborough it's the only excusable answer

Nelson could apply if he actually was a general.