How come the Iroquois were the only Native Americans to have something close to a nation or empire...

How come the Iroquois were the only Native Americans to have something close to a nation or empire? Why didn't other Natives try to do the same?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippian_culture
yalebooks.com/book/9780300151176/comanche-empire
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm assuming you're excluding Native South and Mesoamericans

OP is American so obviously has a very limited perspective of history.

Yeah I'm talking purely North Americans

>Olmecs and the entire legacy they left (aztecs for example) arn't north american

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippian_culture

Aztecs were from Central America you nigger. I'm talking about all these native tribes that roamed around the modern day US and Canada. Y'know what everyone means when they say "Native American"

Central America is part of North America.

>Central America
is a geopolitcal term which didn't exist in Aztec times.

>Y'know what everyone means when they say "Native American"
Only people from the US and only in the US context.

yalebooks.com/book/9780300151176/comanche-empire

t.mexicunts.

"North America" is a very shallow construct. Culturally speaking mesoamerica can be considered distinct from the current USA and Canada.

The Cherokee, user, the cherokee

>comanches
God I'm glad we exterminated those cunts

Delete this thread. So much ignorance of history. There were many "empires" even in North American prehistory. The Ancient Puebloans for example, in the four corners region made war and had a vast cultural and economic empire. That civilization collapsed before the Spanish came through and the only hints of their empire lay in vast pueblo ruins and thier secretive descendants the Hopi and Zuni. Today the Navaho witch are more recent (slightly pre-history) arrivals, occupy the large territory of the Ancient Puebloans. The Pima were also a part of the Aztecan political/economic empire and they stretched up from central Mexico into what is now the United States. The Pima had the most advanced canal and irrigation system and agricultural capabilities of any U.S. enclosed Native Nation, despite living in the inhospitable Desert. Even Today, half the Pima people live south if the U.S. Birder despite having traditional tribal range that stretches down across the Sonoran Desert. There were plenty of empires historical and pre-Historical in the Western U.S. You just do t know about any of them because you never bothered to learn.

Native American history seems to be the absolute worst topic on Veeky Forums because the Americans dont know anything and don't care, and the European posters dont really have much real education in it either. It's always a clusterfuck of cartoon tier Indian memes and "Glad we executed all them" Meanwhile they go and complain about how the ancient Celts or ancient Indo-Slavs dont get enough recognition.

Cahokia and the Mississippian culture

>Specifies European and American posters as being ignorant on Amerindian history
Good thing we have enlightened Black and Asian posters who are such avid Amerindian fanboys
*rolls eyes

Mesoamerica is generally considered as a separate region from North America in the context of precolumbian history.

They were one of the only ones around at the time of European Contact. Those cultures in North America that were more developed by regional standards, like the Missisipieans and the Pueblo, collapsed two hundred or so years before European Contact. No one really knows why, though.

>What is the Comanche
>What is the Cahokia
>What is the Cherokee
>What is the Maya
>What is the Aztec
>What is the Inca
>Why is OP so gay

>were the only Native Americans to have something close to a nation
nation isn't the same as a nation-state you dumb fuck.
But if you are going by that definition i'd say that the cherokee was the ones that fit the bill.
Too bad that whitey had to ruin it as usual.

>roamed
>implying all migratory
>you nigger with a hard g
Wow American education at work. And yes outside ol' cancer we use the term native Americans to talk about the Inuits to the mayans, then again it helps to know these things when you are colonising left right and centre, sips tea.

Look, I like self-aggrandizing wanking as much as the next guy, but considering this thread is relatively small and several different people have named counterexamples (the rest having gotten sidetracked into a stupid discussion about terminology) and basically nobody has agreed with the OP, you should really get off your high horse. It's not appropriate here.

>not approximate here
>implying decorum matters when we trust greentext more than Wikipedia
>and we trust Wikipedia more than sources