Is technological development the primary catalyst for cultural change in societies?

Is technological development the primary catalyst for cultural change in societies?

The Christianization of Roman and Barbarian Europe would put a dent in that idea.

If by catalyst you mean cause, sometimes.
More often, it is an accelerator.
For example, advancements in communications technology enable faster movement of information and thus directly increases the rate of cultural change.

Could those ideas have spread as effectively if technology didn't allow for faster modes of transportation?
I meant accelerator. I think what you said about faster movement of information applies to my response to the other person I quoted in this post.

no.
there is no primary catalyst. only many intersecting paths of being and cause, that branch of on their own. Sometimes cultural change manufactures itself in and out without any external elements.
"Cultural Change" is a body without organs.

as an accelerator and significant disruptor, technological development does have a very important influence in cultural mutation.

How do you propose we study the development of culture then if not by tracing technological development?

As far as I know most missionaries in Europe traveled on foot or on horse, both of which had been around for centuries by this point.

I don't know enough about that to determine whether you're right or not, but I know they had chariots at the time so it seems possible to me that they would have been used by missionaries.

Chariots are relatively lightwight transports used in war and sports. Though by the time Christianity was around they hadn't been used in war for nearly 800 years.

Carts and wagons make better and more rugged transport vehicles, but these predate even the use of the horse IIRC.

Thanks for the info.

To reduce culture to a simple process of materialistic technological development means reducing oneself to its own temporally limited perspective who is only framed by materialistic and "scientismic" blinders.

The thing more closely approaching a multipolar and fragmented understanding of a fantastically complex thing like cultural development and human history nowadays is the study of Cliodynamics IMO

>who is
which is*

I should be in bed fml

>Cliodynamics
Seems interesting, do you have any reading to recommend on the subject?

She could really shuck corn with those dentures

I would say yes, but not as an absolute rule. It could be the other way round f.i.

no. war is

No. That is pure ideology.

Technology matches culture.

read up on base/superstructure theory

It has been for the last 500 years or so, and I think that it will continue to be.

This. Communications are the greatest factor of change in human culture. As communications and travel get faster and cheaper we're pretty much approaching a worldwide "cultural heat death" of humanity.

According to Marx, yes.