What does Veeky Forums think of the ancient Germanic people?

what does Veeky Forums think of the ancient Germanic people?

They're cool.

from Europa Barbarorum 2

it really annoys me that the average person probably thinks they looked like this. the history channel doesn't help with their crude depictions of them.

Great ancestor of the modern state trooper.

Was there ever a unified Germanic people?

A few tribes like the Suebi, Semnones and the Langobards formed confederations.

>Half-Italian, family's from Naples
>Half-German, family's from Hamburg
Stuff like Teutoburg gives me weird vibes.

Suebian Knots are fukin sexy

Next big male hair trend (along with Norman backshaves)

You heard it here, first.

Destroyers of culture and Europe. Some things never change.

They are lame.

yet simultaneously preservers of it when they converted

The most overrated tribal people on earth after the Native Americans

literally my ancestors

They were Veeky Forums af. Not quite Scythian tier, but still.

they wuz everything

the depiction of germanic people in the rise of the barbarians history channel documentary. And everybody noticed the black hannibal but nobody seemed to notice they used middle eastern (they look like turks) actors for most of the germanic characters

those were more like nations made up of many tribes, or tribal confederations

Don't worry, terroni don't have anything to do with the Romans of central Italy. Your ancestors were busy getting engulfed by a volcano and being irrelevant later.

The fuck is the difference between these germans and celts?

Kinda just language desu. Obviously there was cultural differences, but if you're a Roman, they are all dirty barbarians, Germanics were just worse at paying taxes

I'm studying their culture pretty fiercely, in college and independently.
I want to get as clear a picture as I can of the Germanic Tribes specifically near the Danube's source in the pre-Roman era. Tangentially related, I'm also interested in the Hallstatt culture, and the Western Linear Pottery Culture. In general I hope to gather as much information on broader European mythology as I can.

I also want to learn linguistics, proto-celtic, proto-germanic, old saxon, and old norse. Maybe throw in attic greek and early latin. They're tangential to my interest, but I'd love to know them.

This stuff fascinates me because it's so mysterious. All we have left of the broader norse-germanic and celtic cultures are a few epics and a handful of monuments. They once dominated almost all of europe, and they just faded away. I do a lot of creative writing, so I want to see if I can do something with those broken pieces, and maybe rekindle some interest in the misty past of pre-christian europe. Tolkien, in my opinion, really overshadowed all this neat mythology, and while that's prevented it from being raped by popular culture, it's still sad to see it rot out of disinterest.

Why did they hate civilization so much?

No single group, but the Vandals and Goths were actually federations of smaller tribes.

The History Channel has been dead to me for over a decade.

They probably hired actual german actors.

The fuck you say paleface?

Because whoever showed up to bring it simultaneously tried to destroy their race and culture.

This thread is dirty

There are many native Germans with dark brown hair.

whats your point? most germans are dark haired afaik. These were not native germans with brown hair. They were turks or some other middle eastern ethnicity. No native germans look like that

Plus the original germanic tribes were mostly fairer haired, most of the dark hair and eyes in germany come from the southern tribes that were not germanic at the time of arminius, or from slavs or hungarians that migrated in the middle ages

Never thought Native amercians where overrated. Unless your talking about Aztecs Mayans and Incas.

shit

what did they mean by this
is this actually a historically accurate axe head or just the artist messing about?

>ignore the 20 something white people in the background