Do you guys collect any ancient coins or artifacts?

Do you guys collect any ancient coins or artifacts?

Other urls found in this thread:

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincomalos
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Had a 800 year old Jade ring. Family heirloom. Sold it once my father died.

have an 300 year old Irish bible strange because i am a Romanian.

wtf is wrong with you

This.

Consider suicide. Though it was probably fake. How much did you get for it?

I have a silver certificate from 1911 that I got when I worked at a Burger King drive thru when I was a teenager (got a bunch of other odd shit: Plenty of silver certificates, 1890s penny, 1923 20$ bill, a bunch of steel pennys, etc)

I have a stone block from 1478 in my house wall, my ancestors lugged it around every time they moved around.

Im in bed so I too lazy to get up and show the rest of the stuff. Found it in a park in athens after heavy rains washed dirt away. Found in the area of the agora. Same marking on the bottom as those used to ostracize themistocles shown in the museum there

That's the comfiest thing I've heard all night.

I want a picture of it now though

could be, but you'd have to have a pro check it to be sure

I had my archaeology teacher check it out. Greece is full of archaeologists. All you have to do is walk around the ruins and you'll find one

I have some Finnish marks when Finland was still part of the Russian Empire. I don't think they are that valuable though.

GIVE IT BACK YOU FAGGOT

ela re we all know they have more artifacts then they know what to do with and its not like this is important

Just added to my collection

not ancient but want to collect more stuff from Spanish civil war

I lol'd

the oldest thing i own is this international business machine that my grandparent's got at some old train station

and a hunk dinosaur bone

a friend of mine has a piece of the berlin wall that i'm jealous of

Have an athenian silver drachma with an owl on it worth a couple hundred

What you gonna do Georgios? Refuse to pay denbts again?

ITT: How to trigger an archaeologist.
>People literally sell material culture they know next to nothing about
>some of which is patriated to their own heritage.

Fuck you all I'm legit pissed at this

t. contract archaeologist

I've got a strange collection
>Roman bronze as of Constantine the Great
>Papyrus from Byzantine 5th century Egypt with Greek writing
>Pumice from Pompeii, stones from the Circus Maximus and Colosseum
>Salt formation from Salar de Uyuni

my family has a 1600s bible. Im the next one to inherit it. Its one of the first ones printed in Polish, it was made by Jezuit priest Jacob Wujek.

we have a family tradition of fortune telling using it, where on your 13th, 16th and 18th birthdays you open the huge book on any random page and red the first passage you see. Its supposed to reflect the next years of your life.

>Finnish marks
Just read about that.
Finland was allowed to have its own currency inside the Russian Empire.
Strange, to say the least.

That's pretty cool.

How much does it cost to get Imperial Roman coins?

They're a cheap hobby provided you clean them yourself (takes weeks and a lot of scrubbing).

If you don't clean them yourself you run the risk of finding fakes.

I don't collect anything but I possess items that are of a cultural and historical significance.

I've got two little books written in a dialect, actually a language on its own, that is from the
area Banat. They both contain passages from the bible.

They trace to around 130-150 years ago when our village in Bulgaria was founded, funny thing is the language has lost popularity in the administration of the village and the writing system was abolished.

Thats pretty cool. Do you have a photo of it?

I found fragments of Roman ''terra sigillata'' in my property in the countryside, my brother found a Roman coin in the same place and my uncle found the headstone of a Visigothic bishop in the same town. It was the tomb this guy:
es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincomalos

I forgot about some 17th century book, but they are about prayers, not very interesting

Good job ^^

got an 18th - 19th century pocket Bible (in German) that my great grandfather and grandfather carried into war, if that counts.

I'm a trainee Conservator, anyone got any questions about how best to store their objects.

Always worth looking after any collections.

how to store muh books

Books are actually pretty easy, just store them out of sunlight and try find a spot where the relative humidity is fairly stable preferably around 50%RH.

Admittedly that's difficult to do at home but if they are particularly old just wrap them in some acid free tissue and store them in a box.

Did you make those threads a while a go where your curator had you catalog his collection, something along those lines?

Post pics again, of the minerals.

That is a gorgeous shape desu

Alright, thank you. Any way to get rid of old book smell without fucking up the book?

Must have been someone else mate, don't think we have any minerals here.

Bummer, there was an user here a few months back doing the same work as you with an awesome collection.

You got a bunch of pics? Dump em?

Antique dealer here, I've seen some crazy stuff in the ten years I've been doing this. I once had a 6000 year old Middle Eastern sword that wasn't that worth anything, but we sold it for $500. The saddest thing was the day afterwards I sold five Nintendo games for $600.

>humanity

Can't think of anyhting off the top of my head but i honestly wouldn't worry about it, anything you do to try and get rid of the smell is more likely to damage the book

>anything you do to try and get rid of the smell is more likely to damage the book
Yeah that has been my experience as well. Oh well, thank you

I actually don't have many pics on my laptop, we have cameras we use in the lab for record photography, only one's i have at the moment are ones off my phone.

I might make a thread over the weekend and dump a whole load of images, i'm sure some people on this board would find it interesting.

>I might make a thread over the weekend and dump a whole load of images, i'm sure some people on this board would find it interesting.
Please do they will, the last thread (i was talking about) went for weeks. and he made many threads, was really good.

I know I am asking a lot.

>. I once had a 6000 year old Middle Eastern sword that wasn't that worth anything,

Why wouldn't it be worth anything? It was rare, right?

I had a coin from Nazi Germany, but for the life of me I can't find it. I fear I may of lost it when I moved.