Why do so many people HODL instead of actively trading?

Why do so many people HODL instead of actively trading?

Other urls found in this thread:

coinmarketcap.com/historical/20130825/
google.com/finance?cid=983582
twitter.com/AnonBabble

As a newbie, cuz i dont understand enough to try it

Because they already have enough money to have a portfolio that will make them rich in 2-3 years. Poorfags need to risk more to have enough to truly reach lamboland

'Cause most active traders/day traders get fucked in the long run

Because most coins moon so fast and unpredictably that you can't possibly daytrade that. Best strategy with crypto is to buy and wait for the whales to take the b8.

Because you'll end up not making as much as you would have by just HODLing.

you could always daytrade your hold coins.

No idea.
The ironic thing is holding is more risky than actively trading.

>why people hold BTC instead of gambling them in the shitcoin market?

Sure is summer here.

HODL offers safe easy returns, personally I do both with about 50% in HODL and 50% in trading right now.

Shitcoin traders are degenerate gamblers.

Because I have an index fund of crypto ive created. I take profits and rebalance periodically and I guarantee I make more % wise than 95% of day traders.

I'm getting into ethbtc swing trading with 15% of my money. Sell after the top, and buy back in after the dip. It doesn't happen that often, but it's very easy.

If you look at something like altindex.io, the market has only done 30% in the last month. I'd imagine most day traders have made far more than 30% in the last month, I know I have.

Actually it's not even 30%, it's more like 15%.

Yeah but can you keep that going when the whales start moving?

Well, its a good thing ive been doing this for longer than a month.

1. Daytrading is stressful

2. Most HODLers were daytraders that made a mistake an now can't afford to loose their sheckles.

The most success I had came after I stopped day trading and forced myself to hold for a minimum five days. I watch for moons and sell off if I'm up by more than 20% and rebuy, but I'm not chasing moon missions, you're buying news at that point.

Because I like to sleep.

No time, unfortunately. My work requires me to be on my feet all day and away from a desk.

>patiently hodl bags of shit
>in the meantime a shitcoin pumps 300%
>your bag of shit becomes heavier

just kys, hodling is a coping mechanism, nothing more

This isn't the stock market.

Same rules apply to any coin that gains real value (top 10), it's only PnDs that it doesn't apply to.

How do you know this? the crypto market has been around for about 3 years or so, and for most of that everything was going down in price.

You're literally basing "Everything will always go up" on the last few months.

I have been in crypto for 3 years nigga.
Also show me one coin that wasn't an ICO that hasn't gone above it's week 2 price.

You are supposed to hold bitcoin, not shitcoins dumbass.

There's no way to know if a shit will pump or not, its a lottery.

i only ever started money by "daytrading" , the hold meme isn't really that useful when i could have shorted all sorts of coins i had and just bought back in. If that's not daytrading that idk what to call it.

coinmarketcap.com/historical/20130825/

Most of these coins on the front page never broke their historic all time highs in BTC value.

I'm not saying buy at the ATH, I'm saying wait for it to finish falling (everything falls once it hits the first exchange) and buy, HODL long, profit.
You clearly have the day trader mentality and I did when I started too but that all changed when I looked at the prices of all the coins I use to hold a couple of months ago.
I held ETH, XMR, Mona and many more and sold them all at ~5 fold gains turning my initial $20 into the ~$20k including withdrawals that I have today. Thing is if I had of just held these coins I would have ~$800k today.
I still love day trading so keep 50% of my wad free for it but now I HODL and it's easy money.

>You clearly have the day trader mentality
I have the day trader mentality after a year of trying the 'buy and hold' approach and realizing that I only got gains in bullish periods.

Using my current system I am able to return reliable, consistent gains week after week regardless of the market conditions.

Whatever works for you user, I only told my story and method because you assumed I'm yet another newfag.

>lottery
This is what I keep saying, but holders don't seem to want to consider it. It's funny, that so many people fail to see that betting on something to happen in the future is what gambling literally IS.
I can understand what's behind it though, that someone wants to see himself as a "smart investor", who out of sheer future telling got filthy rich and never even had to work for it other than pushing a purchase button. I can also understand if trading is boring or time consuming or that it even seems tasteless to some people. But it's holding that's gambling, not trading.
Ree.

all people who daytraded bitcoins and ethereum are still poor today while holders made sick gains while doing nothing. pls stop this meme, crypto daytrading is dumb as shit.

so all people who hold stocks longterm are gamblers. yeah sure buddy, what a moron you are.

Not the traders who increased their holdings of BTC and ETH.

All people who hold penny stocks long term are gamblers, yes.

>I held ETH, XMR, Mona and many more and sold them all at ~5 fold gains turning my initial $20 into the ~$20k including withdrawals that I have today. Thing is if I had of just held these coins I would have ~$800k today.
Have you ever calculated how much you would have if during the same time period you had traded them against BTC?

Out of all the people who ever purchased stocks, many purchased unlucky ones and made a huge loss. Some made a good profit. Make what you want out of this.
There is a reason why it is only recommended to keep a small percentage of your wealth in stocks (because they are risky), while being a stock broker is a well established job.

The reason I lost my 2000 ETH was trading waves, I started with 500 and traded waves until I had 2000 then sold them all expecting it to drop one day and it didn't. I figured I would wait for it to find it's new floor and buy back in but it rose another 100% without finding a floor.

Long story short my own greed fucked me.

Holy shit.

you make 0 sense, do you have any education in finance? seems like you don't.
just look at the dow jones and tell who loses money on stocks again.

> google.com/finance?cid=983582

Oh okay, you're right

HDOL is a good meme for the long term, but it's better to buy at the dips anyway. What's better:

>buy 3 BTC for $9000 a week and a half ago at ATH
>wait a few days for the dip and buy 4.5 BTC for the same money

Personally, I'd rather hodl 4.5 than 3, for the same money

what is risk assessment and hedging

>there was a high peak before now

that's fucking stupid, how do you know if there's going to be a dip? what if the price went down another 50%? then you'd be saying you'd rather have waited and be hodling 9 btc than 4.5 btc... so according to your logic you should never buy in case it dips more.

basically this

He just said buy at the dips: buy when it dipPED. Just consider this. Since you are holding for the long term, you too expect the value of your holding to go up with time, since that's why you are holding. So if you buy the dip, and sell for the same value when it raised to a certain price, you increased your holdings. This plan fails if your holding's value goes down with time, but if you are afraid of that then you shouldn't be holding it.

>wait for the whales to take the b8.

>hOw mArKeT MaKeRs WoRk

It was a figure of speech. Obviously you're not "baiting" anyone, but I like the fishing analogy for hodling.

Not enough free time / patience for it.

Because
a) people have actual jobs
b) crypto is for holding, not day trading you fucking autist

less risk

Daytrading only works well with alt coins since theyre so volatile and cheap it's fairly easy to make a profit