So if the American wild west spawned an entire genre of fiction, then why didn't Russian cossacks also do the same?

So if the American wild west spawned an entire genre of fiction, then why didn't Russian cossacks also do the same?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Quiet_Flows_the_Don
youtube.com/watch?v=Qn5jrtdLOZ0
livelib.ru/tag/казаки
youtu.be/fzvxz8L_hg4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dauria_(film)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostern
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

People in the wild west were at least literate to some degree.

Who is to say that they haven't?
How much shitty russian fiction are you willing to sort through to find out?

there is plenty of Russian fiction out there, it just isnt in popculture.

as to why its no in popculture. refer to berlin wall, and the USSR. Basically anything pro Russia was cut off from American Homogenized society up until just ever so recently.

not to mention, what better way to raise moral and patriotism in American than to make it look like the population's forefathers were rugged cowboys who wrestled bulls and shot single 44 cal. handguns without flinching?

You wonder why American is renown for BBQ and and country music? The western frontier is the answer.

pic unrelated slightly

Because the golden age of cowboy movies was during the Cold War, when the USSR had a very tight control on the media. I highly doubt they'd be kosher with movies glorifying a particular minority who fought against the Reds in the Russian Civil War. Even if there are any, I doubt that they'd be very well-known outside the Eastern Bloc.

Yeah, only one of best novels ever.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Quiet_Flows_the_Don

Cossacks are rather famous in Russian world and Eastern Europe in general m8, it's just that American culture and film especially have wider audience.

And this too. Communists literally destroyed Cossacks.

It did

you just don't know any Russian, Ukrainian, Eastern (and I meant EAST) European culture

youtube.com/watch?v=Qn5jrtdLOZ0

> I highly doubt they'd be kosher with movies glorifying a particular minority who fought against the Reds in the Russian Civil War.
a) there were cossacks on communists side
b) there were numerous soviet movies about cossacks both historical and contemporary (for the time)

BANter
Because the main audience were Americans tired of their office life and it seemed larger than life, whilst if you were a Russian when the genre hit you had your job and you were fine with it, knowing some of your family members did escape to the Cossacks and then went to war and never came home

Hope you can ready sovok user
livelib.ru/tag/казаки

But it did. Taras Bulba, And Quiet Flows the Don, etc etc

because russians are generally illiterate

Most expensive movie made in Poland to date and the book is required reading in secondary school
youtu.be/fzvxz8L_hg4

The silent Don has like 1500 pages

>sovok

the Vulcan?

Because communists destroyed majority of cossacks and started to destroy this direction of art after 1917 revolution.

Russians suck at lower culture, American's excellent on it. Genre fiction is low culture.

What user before me said.

It is quite accepted in academia that Americans are far better at developing low culture, while Russians fail at this historically. They are however brilliant in the high culture, probably among top 5 in the world in that regard.

The Don Cossacks, some Cossack groups joined the Bolsheviks.

Chekov taught me everything I needed to know about Cossacks

they did

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dauria_(film)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostern

>Cossacks
>Russian

It's almost as if one of those countries has had a bigger impact on global pop culture than the other

nice painting of the zaporozhians

Zaporozhian Cossacks to the Turkish Sultan!
O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil shits, and your army eats. Thou shallt not, thou son of a whore, make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, fuck thy mother.
Thou Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow, screw thine own mother!
So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord, the day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!

Childhood is idolizing cowboys

Adulthood is realizing gauchos have mas oevos

According to silent don cossacks didn't really consider themselves Russian or Ukrainian, they considered themselves Cossacks, superior to both due to the fact that they actually owned their lands and didn't have nobles ordering them about.

Godammit now I want to play The Cossacks again.

>giving a shit about spics
but really you guys area alright, just remember you are number 2

spics are the people who created "cowboy culture", it carried onto NA.

Wild West had Hollywood backing them up

I've never heard of low and high culture before. I learned something new today.

Jews are still butthurt over cossacks burning their shtetls a hundred years ago, they will never be positively depicted in Western media.

fuck i hate this crappy russian dubbing thing they rape every foreign movie with

Really? Maybe that's a Eastern European thing.
One is real culture and art and the other one is made to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

>rugged cowboys who wrestled bulls and shot single 44 cal. handguns without flinching?
44 cal didn't exist. Wild west is a lie. Cowboys were just that, fucking cowboys. They didn't shoot two revolvers at the same time, or get involved in massive shootouts that destroyed entire towns. The wild west was wild in the sense that there was a lot of wild nature, but people was quiet. Most people there was very religious and crime was much lower than in big cities like New York or Chicago. Bandits did exist but they were not that common.

U R Gay

HAhaha, more like an Argentine province