ITT we discuss Southeast Asia between the years of 0 and 1900 AD. What even happened?

ITT we discuss Southeast Asia between the years of 0 and 1900 AD. What even happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-InBCZ1ijLg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Naresuan_(film)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

For much of that period, that region had the most advanced civilizations and largest cities in the world. What do you mean "what even happened?"

Bumping, I've been unusually interested in the regions history lately, but I don't know a single thing about it.

Jungle Asians being jungle Asians.

The Javanese fending off the muthafuckin Mongolians by GoT tier trickery happened.
Someone told me there are still people of Mongolian ancestry in Sumbawa to this day. Might be bs though.

>shiggy diggy

What I meant wasn't that I thought nothing happened, but rather that Veeky Forums never covers it

rice, trade and temples

I must know for about this

Avid reader of SE Asian history. It's criminally overlooked because it's the perfect blend of indigenous customs, Indian influence (architecture, Hinduism, Buddhism), Chinese immigrants (more than half overseas Chinese are in SE Asia), and Muslim proselytization (particularly Malaysia and Indonesia).

For instance, I didn't know that modern Vietnam was derived from 2 distinct peoples: the Viets based in the Red River delta (Tonkin) and the Chams, an Austronesian people whose political existence was from the 2nd to 19th centuries CE. Champa at its height covered 2/3 of modern Vietnam from the Annam region to Cochin-China. The Viets slowly grinded them down throughout the centuries until they dissolved as a state in 1471. Afterwards, they only remained as semi-autonomous communities that the Viets bypassed or forced into vassalage while they sent colonies of soldiers, prisoners, etc. as settlers in former Cham lands. Panduranga, the last vestige of Champa was eliminated in 1832 by Emperor Minh Mang.

Some Vietnamese feel that all the calamities that befell them after 1832 like conquest by the French, the Japanese invasion, and the 2 Indochina Wars were punishment for what the historic Viets did to the Cham people. The old Viets systematically wiped out any trace of Cham civilization like destroying monuments and forcing the Chams to become Vietnamese.

This map shows what Champa was once like. They really got BTFO akin to the Native Americans in the New World or Aborigines in Australia.

Can't remember the exact story and I'm too lazy to google, but as far as I can recall, there were two kingdoms vying for hegemony in eastern Java: Kediri and Singosari. The khan sent an envoy to one of the rajas to demand the Javanese surrender and pay tribute to them. The Raja had the ambassador's ears, nose and tongue (maybe eyes too) cut off and sent him back to his country. Furious, the khan sent a punitive expedition to Jawa against the Raja.
The king of his rival state (Kediri I think) allied with the Mongolian forces and used them to crush his enemy. He then invited the Mongolian forces to his palace, unarmed, to celebrate victory (I think), where all of them were ambushed and slain.
Thus, the mighty empire of Majapahit was founded.

Gaja Mada (of Civ 5 fame) swore an oath that he would not taste spice/experience pleasure until he conquered the whole Indonesian archipelago.

That era of history (Majapahit Empire) is what modern-day Indonesians WE WUZ about, which is kinda interesting because Majapahit was a Hindu kingdom.

1900 is at about 8:35

youtube.com/watch?v=-InBCZ1ijLg

TONGA EMPIRE

>Tribes
>Hindu kingdoms
>Buddhist empires
>Islam
>Colonization

WE

>they don't know about the Khmer

Wow. Not even the greatest western leaders were that badass.

Meh, I thought Srivijaya was better.

Well shit, I had no idea about this. I always thought Vietnam was mostly formed by the ex-Chinese colony + former Khmer Empire lands. Never heard of the Chams before.

What was the name of that clusterfuck battle between samurai, european swashbucklers, filipino pirates, and two hugeass imperial armies with war elephants and cannons?

Pirates of the Caribbean 3?

Nah, this battle actually happened

What script did they even use before they adopted Latin characters?

Various scripts based on Brahmi script and Chinese script

Its one of the Burmese-Siamese wars, the one where the Burmese got so freakin deep into Thai territory. Burma was a bunch of warfreaks who frequently got into fights with its neighbors and Siam is it's frequent buttmonkey. Thais however were rich and commercially important, so when the King of Thailand, Naresuan, asked for help, Spain, Portugal, Japan, and a bunch of Chinese Mercenaries came answering.

Anyway war was famous for that one unidentified battle where the King of Thailand clashed elephants with the Burmese crown prince.

I frankly find the Flips interesting.

It's the earliest and longest held of European colonial territories in SEA. The blend of local Islandnigger SEAsian culture and Western-Hispanic culture is so much so that they're basically unique in SEA.

>literally so cucked their entire country is named after a foreign monarch

just how

Why did women stop going topless in SEA, whos fault was this?

why is this not a movie?

Probably colonial influence?

South Asia and Southeast Asia was always topless

Indians started wearing tops because of Allah influence from Persia

Southeast Asian here

Very proud of our civilization

We were like multiple Romes

In the same way Romans outdid the Greeks, we outdid the Indians in everything

Jaya Suvarna Bhumi!

Some languages never adopted Latin script.

Islam and Britain

I'm not even shitting you

They used to go topless and even nude sometimes like Africa

>In the same way Romans outdid the Greeks, we outdid the Indians in everything

Except you didn't.

ไม่เข้าใจภาษาฝรั่ง

อ่านอักษรละตินไม่เป็น

Angkor (yashodhara pura). Larger than any city of India

Great organized irrigation system

Largest Vishnu temple in the world

I legit believe that the story of the Malacca Sultanate and its successor states following the Portuguese invasion and the multilateral war for hegemony over the region is riveting history.

How is this legible to people far away? Thai blows me away

>Thai

From the Nagarakertagama:
“Further,
in the Saka year “arrows-seasons-eyes-navel” (1265) the king of Bali was evil and base –
He was attacked with an army, broken and completely crushed; every kind of evildoer
was fearful, and made off quickly”

>literally so cucked their entire country is named after a foreign monarch
There was no Philippines prior Spain. It was just a place where literal hundreds of seminomad tribes, tiny tribal kingdoms, confederacies, and small city states existed who didn't even consider each other the same people.

The Thais made a movie of it.
It absolutely sucks.

Pretty sure they made six of their own as well
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Naresuan_(film)

Lmao never knew that. I'll try watching some.

There is the philippine baybayin script that nobody uses anymore.

>tfw when us flips only have mudhuts.

The history of Indonesia is discussed extensively but only the period from around the late 16th century untill 1950.

T. Hendrik van der Kanker

lol, /thread

One of my favorites, aksara jawa or the javanese script, looks like some elvish shit
꧋ꦱꦧꦼꦤ꧀ꦲꦸꦮꦺꦴꦁꦏꦭꦲꦶꦫꦏꦺꦏꦤ꧀ꦛꦶꦩꦂꦢꦶꦏꦭꦤ꧀ꦢꦂꦧꦺꦩꦂꦠꦧꦠ꧀ꦭꦤ꧀ꦲꦏ꧀ꦲꦏ꧀ꦏꦁꦥꦝ꧉

>Mudhuts
You mean stick huts.

Mudhuts get BTFO by tropical SEAsian Climate.

Khmer empire becoming nearly china tier and then getting BTFO by Thais

Graag 1 nasi en een loempia, kut
Nee geen sambal bij

>dat sneaky nut

>something something rice something something chilli

seriously though what is this? dutch-bahasa?

This would look better in your native script if this is even a language

Then it's about time I write an email to some directors I like

SEA is cool.

My favourite alt history wank is a united spice islands.

I wish South East Asia had it's own name.
We do use proper names for regions that aren't continents: see Anatolia, Siberia, the Indies, Europe(well technically)
cardinaldirection-continent sounds sloppy.

Can't we start saying Indochina again?

Indo: Poo in the loo
China: China

Guess what. They don't have their own name.
UNLESS someone gives it a name unrelated to other nations'

>They've been colonized for 300 years by Spain
>Liberated by the U.S and got independence
>Still hasn't renamed a century later

There were during the Marcos-era to rename the Philippines to "Maharlika", I wished they followed through.

there is

mainland SEA is called suvarnabhumi while the island SEA is called nusantara

only thing the dutch did right was recovering all these hidden hindu-buddhist temples desu

Bruh there was no native name for the whole place. Prior colonization a hundred polities and small tribes were there. As far as they were concerned each Island had its name and that was good enough considering that they are tiny entities with a few empire-builders between them to actually bother grouping the whole thing.

Only two people ever named the Philippine Archipelago: the Spanish (hence the current name) and the Chinese, who called it Sanzhou and later on Ma'i.

That sounds like pretty much the coolest thing ever.