Why do Latinos and African Americans cling to the religion of their former oppressors/colonizers...

Why do Latinos and African Americans cling to the religion of their former oppressors/colonizers? You would think renouncing Christianity would be one of the first items in reclaiming their previous cultural identities, but these two groups tend to be even more highly Christian than white Americans. Why is this and does this have historical precedent in other religions?

And yes, I realize that Christianity was around in Africa before the slave trade, but we know that's not why black people tend to be Christian today.

No /pol/ shit flinging please, I'm genuinely curious.

Faith kept peoples spirit up and they altered it as one of resistance against their Masters.

So their was the Christianity of their Masters to keep them subjugated right? Well they formed their own Christianity as a response to that.

The question is: why do Christian forcibly convert the people they conquer?

Because it is their duty to "redeem" souls and bring them to Christ. But also in doing so you get subservience because they need to be "good slaves" to reach the kingdom of heaven.

In Judaism if you are owned by a Jew and are freed you are instantly a Jew.

Sometimes, colonizers or conquerors have nearly irreversible cultural effects on their conquered people, what you mentioned is a prime example. As to why, perhaps they saw organized religion as a far superior religious system to paganism/indigenous spiritualism. Also, there are few primary source records of the latter, which would certainly hurt a revival movement.

Because they were largely illiterate, and after generations of colonization/slavery, there wasn't enough left of their pre-Christian beliefs to reconstruction to anything coherent enough to be called a religion.

Why do Europeans cling to the religion of their former oppressors/colonizers?

Christianity has universal appeal to all races and glorifies suffering while offering hope. Also it's conveniently vague that diverse groups can synthesize whatever unique cultural expressions. Perfect for minority groups to adopt.

>You would think renouncing Christianity would be one of the first items in reclaiming their previous cultural identities
When they try to do this you get the Rastafari and the Kemet and pan-africanism, which just serves as a target of demonization.

>because they need to be "good slaves" to reach the kingdom of heaven.
"& Humanities" was a mistake

I'm a jew, I'm just giving a common explanation for the times.

>In Judaism if you are owned by a Jew and are freed you are instantly a Jew

Lol wut

Because Christianity isn't a european or white religion, its just a rerligion that came with them.

And a lot of the people who tried to help them were the clergy.

Because you don't magically stop believing in a god and start believing in another just because you don't like the culture it originated in if you have real faith. If you're gonna abandon the religion you have you might as well become an atheist instead of larping about muh old gods like retard.

They don't have relation to their native roots anymore. They've been Christianized for so long they have no connection to indigenous Native/African religion. Blacks in America don't know wtf tribe they originate from, what ethnic god is there to worship?

I said what I said, anyone who studies the Talmud should know this

I mean hoodoo was in Folk Christianity until Post WWII era. Also it's not like folks didn't try to keep their identities and practices it was stripped from them.

Most people my age I know who are at all political are veering more and more to Santeria.

Why would any Jewish person ever release a slave, then?

>Most people my age I know who are at all political are veering more and more to Santeria

Give the kids all the world's knowledge at their fingertips and some autists choose to LARP what is objectively the worst pagan cult :/

Free will was a mistake

It's an active religion on the East Coast, every hood on NYC has one or more botanicas. Unlike Odinism and other LARPing faiths made by European Americans and Europeans, Santeria continues an unbroken chain of Ancestral based faiths.

In fact within Santeria are sub-sects that worship gods almost forgotten because of the heavy toll slavery had and later colonialism had in Yorubaland.
>The Talmud (Berachot 47b) states that Rabbi Eliezer once freed a non-Jewish slave, thus granting him the status of a full-fledged Jew, so that he could be the tenth man in a minyan. He did this, despite the prohibition of freeing a non-Jewish slave, because of the importance of the mitzvah of minyan.

Basically if it's for the common good for the community it's a mitzvah to do so

You are talking from a USA (a.k.a. Jesusland) perspective, hence what you call Latinos are actually Chicanos whose cultural identity tries to remain similar to that of Mexico, a Catholic nation.

Here in South America people who are into "cultural identity" are usually anti-clerical.

why would one embrace an inferior, less refined, cosmovision of the world?

>Latinos
You do know they were the oppresors, right?

Like i get this entire site is a baitmeme site where no fucking board actually talks about anything but edgy bait shit, but come on at least try.

When someone from the US uses the word Latino/Hispanic they pretty much are talking about Mexicans.
Yesterday i had a dumb bitch from Miami arguing with me about how Italians and Spaniards are not Latinos.

Black clergy are the most formal rulers over black communities outside of nationalist groups and entertainers; they obviously don't want to give up their power and feelings of importance. So instead, they either pretend that Christianity was started by blacks, or at most (liberally) toy and subtly assume something closer to the lines of it.

Latinos don't give a shit about church here. And not that many of them care much politically about being victims outside of immigration talks. Once they consist of majority of a community, their officials just tend to go on and address the problems the community has without focusing on racial issues unless it's relevant to a particular matter. But with blacks, even the most level-headed ones have to carefully incite some sort of racial solicitation to get the attention of the community.

They were captured and enslaved while worshiping Mumbo-jumbo.

They finally were freed while worshipping as Christians.

"Ayo, holup. less go be heathens agin, worked good lass time."

The trinity is retarded

They are not latino

>Black clergy are the most formal rulers over black communities outside of nationalist groups and entertainers; they obviously don't want to give up their power and feelings of importance. So instead, they either pretend that Christianity was started by blacks, or at most (liberally) toy and subtly assume something closer to the lines of it.
>Latinos don't give a shit about church here. And not that many of them care much politically about being victims outside of immigration talks. Once they consist of majority of a community, their officials just tend to go on and address the problems the community has without focusing on racial issues unless it's relevant to a particular matter. But with blacks, even the most level-headed ones have to carefully incite some sort of racial solicitation to get the attention of the community.

Nigga what

Some are returning or seeking their indigenous ancestors religions. Especially younger generations.

this

Why? muh reddit?

They are not Latino.

>Why do Latinos and African Americans cling to the religion of their former oppressors/colonizers?
because they've realized that the Christians were right and human sacrifice is barbarism.