Veeky Forums martial arts

We all know about Western and Eastern Martial arts but what about Indian, Middle Eastern, or African?
Post cool Veeky Forums fighting styles.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_European_martial_arts
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dambe
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silat
youtube.com/watch?v=NzHiBbgoqv8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatka
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagh_naka
youtube.com/watch?v=02pFkjQ5vPo
youtube.com/watch?v=MKkvQjzrbx8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Looks pretty awesome man.

What are some Western martial arts?
Can I get some links my dude?

When it comes unarmed: Pankration, boxing/pugilism, and Greco-Roman wrestling come to mind. Very practical skills.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_European_martial_arts

Boxing, wrestling (including the hundred of folk styles), and fencing. Western martial arts aren't obscure; they're the most common martial arts, it's just that most people don't think of them like that. Savate also exists, but isn't very widespread, and HEMA is gaining more of a foothold.

Western martial arts are some of the most practical and intricate arts to come about. Your footwork, balance, and coordination must be excellent. Way better than some meme oriental styles where you pretend to channel your chi or some shit.

if you like fencing but want something that still feels like real fighting, look at singlestick

and of course Marquess of Queensberry Boxing is a very clear typified martial art.

Dambe seems pretty based. Some sort of African kickboxing.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dambe
"The primary weapon is the strong-side fist. The strong-side fist, known as the spear, is wrapped in a piece of cloth covered by tightly knotted cord. Some boxers dip their spear in sticky resin mixed with bits of broken glass"
"The primary weapon is the strong-side fist. The strong-side fist, known as the spear, is wrapped in a piece of cloth covered by tightly knotted cord. Some boxers dip their spear in sticky resin mixed with bits of broken glass"

"The lead leg is often wrapped in a chain, and the chain-wrapped leg is then used for both offense and defense. The unwrapped back leg can also be used to kick"

You could check out silat
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silat

Much of the choreography from the raid and the raid 2 is silat. Fantastic movies but as far as practicality goes it's meme tier trash.

youtube.com/watch?v=NzHiBbgoqv8

And people say the Star Wars prequels have too many flips and jumps

Savate is French version of kickboxing.

Iranic and Turkish cultures practice wrestling.

In a related note, Iranic cultures have a traditional gym/martial arts school that goes back (supposedly) to the Achaemenid period called Zurkaneh (literally: the house of strength). Much of its exercise regimes are geared for the noble members of the Savaran (Cavalry, but more like a knighthood) to train them in weapons handling: like weighted clubs to condition arms for swords and maces and steel bows to develop draw strength. It also has oil wrestling.

Indians and middle eastern people have some martial arts of their own, but I'm mostly curious about american (as in the continent) and african martial arts. Anyone?

The Zulu practice some sort of spear art.

They dont think of them as martial arts because they are mostly trained as sports.

Ill grant you that boxing and wresting still have alot of real world application, and have even been used as part of military training, making them "martial" but modern fencing is so far divorced from actual swordsmanship that its hardly worth mentioning

Dambe seems kind of interesting.

There is hardly a place on earth that didn't produce some style of grappling. Most produced a stick fighting art as well.

Does anyone have any information about "Pygmachia" - classical Greek boxing? I've heard conflicting things on the rules. Some saying that kicks were allowed while others saying only fists (and that kicks were instead allowed in Pankration) and that you were allowed/expected to keep punching a knocked down opponent until they gave up, couldn't continue or die.

Anyone have info on ancient Greek boxing?

I know a only a little, there is a statue in the Vatican of a famous roman match, one guy strikes another with a flat hand, jabing into his armpit. According to history the blow was fatal.

Its the kind of thing you would expect to find in old-style Okinawan Karate rather than western boxing, but it seems that they might have had similar knowledge of striking vulnerable spots to deliver a critical or fatal blow

>They dont think of them as martial arts because they are mostly trained as sports.
So are Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, most styles of Karate, and many other popular martial arts. The sportified, modern versions martial arts are all much more common than the "martial' versions (with the exception of shit like Krav Maga and Systema, I guess). All martial arts that are usually seen as effective are trained as sports because it allows for more lively practice than the ones that just rely on forms. The only difference with western arts is that their ubiquity and more readily accepted status as sports makes them seem less exotic to most people.

That's interesting. Yeah it seems like they used a variety different types of hand strikes and, from all sources I've seen, didn't do a lot of evasive moving like modern boxing. It seems more like two guys standing in front of each other and literally trying to beat the other to death or into submission with your hands/fists and the only defense seems to be blocking. This may be entirely wrong, but it really seems like the norm wasn't to duck and weave or circle around much.

I wrote a long reply but accidentally deleted it. In broad strokes your right. I love modern grappling arts and MMA.

my only caveat is "All martial arts that are usually seen as effective" isn't all worth training in. There are still wonderful schools of kenjutsu and classical jujutsu. There are still some really strong ICMA teachers. Its about time these arts stopped being defined by their lowest common denominator

Why did western martial arts die out

They didn't, what makes you say that?

The vast majority did

Then what style was the Roman guy using, and where can I learn it?

No they didn't. Boxing, fencing, and greco-roman wrestling are the most common arts you can find. Pretty much eveywhere you can find a school, university, community center, or gym that teaches at least one of those. And there are still dozens of folk wrestling styles people still practice, in addition to stuff like Savate that's still around.

You can't learn an Asian art that was used thousands of years ago, either. Martial arts evolve; even most Asian arts, which most people think about as ancient and very traditional, are pretty modern in the forms they exist in today.

Escrima/Kali/Arnis is one of the most popular SEA martial arts.

those are only a very small amount of what was once a much richer martial arts scene in Europe even two hundred years ago.

There are some spear and stick fighting systems in Africa, and i am sure some indigenous forms of grappling

Gatka
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatka

Gatka was invented by Sikhs to defend themselves against Muslims and Hindus. Honestly, it's kinda terrifying, but you get to learn how to use a Bagh Naka, and those are hardcore as hell!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagh_naka

It was also used in a usually lethal bloodsport called "Claw Wrestling" where two Indian dudes got really high and tried to stab each other with metal claws.

KINO

youtube.com/watch?v=02pFkjQ5vPo
KINK

>381
Ogawa ryu is a fake lineage created by some westerner. its technquies and training methods are all guess work by its creator.

here are some legitimate practitioners

youtube.com/watch?v=MKkvQjzrbx8

There are many techniques in hojojutsu, but most of them assume the arrestie is cooperating. You used different knots based on the persons social rank. There is only one or two techniques that can be applied on a resisting opponent.