Trying to git gud at Latin

Trying to git gud at Latin

how THE FUCK do you learn alveolar trills? American here, I feel like my tongue just can't do it.

Based Roman architecture thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mioA3xHe82w
youtube.com/watch?v=K9eN2B7Wj68
youtube.com/watch?v=HqKqN-gzRrY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Italian fluent latin speaker and reader. AMA, American friend.

Pronunciation doesn't matter because there's literally no way to know how they spoke the language out loud. As long as you don't pronounce it like church latin you're fine

Latin thread?

How would I say "Keep talking"?
"Perge fārī"?

How do you not know how to roll your r's?

Pronunciation does matter and we do know how classical latin was pronounced with a good degree. It's the classical accent that is the big unknown.

All my latin teachers ever said was to pronounce phonetically, i.e. "c" is like "k," soft vowel sounds, etc.

Yo meribrate, Swiss here we use that R in everyday language, just say Rock n' Roll and make your mouth less wide and more high then you would normally do. If you sound like a drunk Bavarian making gargling sounds whilst getting a bj you're just about right.

i cant do it either
my mouth is broken

okey, tip for retarded anglos and subhumans that can't roll the r.
Pronounce the letter d an then move your tongue.

That's good.

Perge loqui or perge dicere work too.

>mfw I spend 6 years studying latin in high school and remember maybe 1% of it.

Class trip to Rome was cool tho

>It's the classical accent that is the big unknown.

I think it's less singy-songy than standard Italian and more like Venetian.

That is actually sort of possible. I have a lisp in my native tongue where I prononounce rolling r's badly. I can make a reasonable job with French r's and can't pronounce German ones at all. In English my pronounciation is pretty much perfect. The lisp that I have is retroflexic, so again, in languages with retroflex r's it'd be pretty much perfect.

So yeah, it's possible to have a speech impediment that's not noticable in one language, but really bad in another.

>I spend 6 years studying latin in high school and remember maybe 1% of it.

Eurocuck or just retard burger that was held back a few years?

Eurocuck. The combination of studying latin and being held back seems unlikely to me

Amerincan english doesn't have anything similar to a trilled r

I never studied spanish either, opted for Deutsch instead. Rolled R's are completely unnatural to me.

I'm trying to come up with a way to explain how to roll you R, but I can't come up with anything. It must be quite frustrating that.

But if I and everyone that speaks the same language as me can learn it as a child I can't see why you can't.

This is like teaching the two 'th' sounds to non-Anglos. Quite impossible without being there in person.

no, anyone can pronounce your retarded language

what are the two th sounds

99.9% of foreigners have zero ability to pronounce 'th'.

Voiced and unvoiced dental fricatives.

In which words do you use the unvoiced dental fricative? I suppose the voiced one happens in the word 'the'?

For the record, I did manage to learn myself these sounds, without being in an Anglophone country. I think it is subtle but easier than learning the rolled R for many reasons. Because the th/dh sounds are more natural to pronounce while a thrill is kind of trick, which some people just don't get even after many tries. Like learning how to whistle.

Unvoiced in 'bath' or 'path', voiced in 'bathe' or 'lathe'.

'The' can be either unvoiced or voiced, depending on whether one wishes to stress the 'the' or not.

I agree about the trilled 'r'. I'm English, and hence have not been brought up to pronounce it, but we're exposed to people who do regularly pronounce it all the time, like the Scots.

video related

youtube.com/watch?v=mioA3xHe82w

youtube.com/watch?v=K9eN2B7Wj68

It's easy as heck when you learn.

do you know whether the thou in "thou shallt not kill" is an aspirate or a fricative? Or does it depend on the dialect?

Watch and listen. Copy this woman's tongue position.

youtube.com/watch?v=HqKqN-gzRrY

OP here, I saw this today and it has helped a lot with articulating how my tongue should feel and where it should be placed in order to trill R's.

why is classical latin so based though