Try to read philosophy/ history book

>try to read philosophy/ history book
>get bored or confused and watch a youtube video on the subject instead

>me after watching several of john green's videos

>brainlet 101

I usually find philosophy books hard to follow because of confusing or misleading terminology. I never had problems with history books, they can be very fun depending on the period and thematic.

try an audio book or something instead then

Most philosophy relies heavily on themes/terms discussed by earlier philosophers so it's easy to feel like you're missing a bunch if you haven't read what the philosopher is referring to.

Just read what you want to and if you get bored, put it down. Unless you want to get a broad understanding of philosophy (in which case you should read every major authors major works in chronological order, starting with the greeks) you should just read what you understand/find interesting.

Maybe that will motivate you into getting a broad understanding but it doesn't need to.

>easy to feel like you're missing a bunch

He is missing a bunch. Probably everything worth remembering.

Most modern philosophy isn't philosophy at all

Only the Aristotelian philosophy can be conisdered as genuine philosophy

>muh psy ants

>muh every informattion is not real but the product of my mind
>muh if i blow myself up i'm not killing myself but just having the illusion to kill myself
>muh Noumenon

Kant and his bastard sons are just autists, and the longer they further their "philosophy" the more autistic they become

Modern philosophy is just ever-increasing autism

Make notes, but always put it in your own words. It kind of forces your brain to pay attention.

Fuck off pseud

>find a book that might be interesting
>1000+ pages

I know this image is supposed to look funny, but to me it just genuinely looks like body horror to me. I actually feel sick, looking at it. (And not due to it being a brainlet depiction, the reverse with the super fat, pulsating brains makes me feel sick, too.)

How does this one make you feel?

Dahmer victim?

>history book is 500+ pages
>huge margins, line spacing, and font size because it's aimed at a popular audience
>no footnotes or end notes

>find a book that might be interesting
>120 pages

>when the whole footnote is just the name of a large obscure book

I feel that way too, I don't know why but it bothers me in a very primal level

>book was written before 1900
>author lapses into French periodically for no reason at all without offering a translation
>later editions don't translate it either