Everybody makes a massive deal about student debt

>Everybody makes a massive deal about student debt
>People talking about being debt slaves
>Presidential candidates talk about student debt reform
>Tradesmen talking about falling for the "STEM meme"

I've accrued $59,000 in student debt. My monthly payments are about $500/mo. Is that what we were freaking out about? $500 a month? the average Class of 2016 graduate has $37,172 in student loan debt with an average payment of $351[1]. I took two months to find a job in my field making 40k a year which would imply taxes of $4256.25 a year. Even factoring food and shelter, I'm not worried about being able to pay of my student debt.

Why is everybody freaking out about student debt? I spent so much energy worrying about it and now it's right in front of me and it seems much smaller than I was led to believe.

studentloanhero.com/student-loan-debt-statistics/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kXpwAOHJsxg
cms.bsu.edu/admissions/tuition-and-fees
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Why is everybody freaking out about student debt?
>I dont have a problem with debt so that must mean nobody has a problem with debt!

not everyone will get a job like you did-there is an oversupply of idiots with expensive qualifications and not enough jobs for them to do, therefore leading to a future where not everyone can pay back their student debts
this debt continues in somewhat of a snowball situation when more and more people start defaulting and could end up taking the entire economy with it

You cant get debt if you don't take a loan.

there are plenty of super retards with 100k+ in loans who can't get a job. remember this, all you DGB bag holders. at least you aren't them (unless you are lol).

Ah, I see. What sort of distinction would you make about people who should and shouldn't go to college with a student loan? Should nobody? Should only people of a certain character? A certain level of accomplishment?

This advice came a tad late for me. I was already well into my collegiate career by time I realized there had been other options available to me

Ouch m8. That definitely would suck. I think you still have options though - I bet you could do a 20 year plan where the payment gets halved.

You can't default student death... I mean debt

Are people actually so stupid that they get hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for the """privilege""" of getting a job?
And not only do they go in debt but they don't even get a job in the end because they majored in Woman Studies.
How fucking stupid can you be

>because they majored in Woman Studies.
One of my friends became a welder and it took him a few years to find a good paying and stable job. It all depends, you could go in a sought after field and never find a job.

>Why is everybody freaking out about student debt?
College is and never was for smart people. Common sense and rationale are a scarcity

Character? Accomplishment? Mate, that doesn't matter if the field they chose doesn't have any jobs.

>$40k a year
>$6k in loan payments annually
Not everyone wants to live with their parents for the rest of their lives.

Bachelor degrees aren't for smart people, idiot.

>30k a year after loans and taxes
lol

>College is and never was for smart people. Common sense and rationale are a scarcity
Great, so how do I get a job from having "common sense?" Do I pinky promise them that I have it?

If only there were some sort of paper I could show them, proving that I had common sense...

My father and grandfather both died within a year and left me enough money to pay off my student loans with enough left over to sit at home all day shitposting on Veeky Forums while trading cartoon quarters.

>what are taxes
>what are car payments
>what is rent
>what are utilities
>what is food
Yeah, you live with your parents.

youtube.com/watch?v=kXpwAOHJsxg

Some of this student loan debt is going back decades now of not being repaid. I think there's a guy in this video who finished his degree over 15 years ago and still has debt.

Yuuko is a miraclew of the uinieverse

i honestly have never heard anyone freaking out about student debt except on youtube.

everyone who graduated with me and all my high school classmates are doing fine.

i think the only distinction now is that nobody our age can afford a house on a single income. but the culture changed so that nobody really wants a house, or there are two or more incomes sharing anyway.

poor people are going to be stupid and poor. i can imagine some people from retarded families and communities getting tricked into getting a "college education" where they can pass just for going to class, but somebody was going to scam them either way.

college isn't cheap but jobs are everywhere you look and there are a million ways to approach higher education. the people "freaking out" are more than likely overgrown children who just learned what debt is and are having a fit.

Is accounting a good degree to get?

Finance / taxes, math, engineering, IT, medicine, biology?
You are settled, student debt dont realy concerns you, no matter how bad your grades were. You can at least get a job where you only need to use the fundamentals of your education and are able to pay for these loans as well as for a decent life.

Literature, gender studies, music, theatre science, philosophy etc.?
If you are not an idiot and can show other qualifications, you are also settled. Most however struggle to get a job that is paid according to their debt.
This is because many think only about jobs in their fields - I encountered countless literature students which wanted to be the next stephen king. Or guys with a major in music that still dreamt about becomming a rockstar. Or people with a major in philosophy who think that people pay them for comparing Kant and Reuchlin.

However, I also know a phd in philosophy who works as a well paid mediator.
Another woman with a master in theatre science who is administrating the whole human ressources department of a big company.
Another woman I know has a master in gender studies and is currently working on building a society for helping street children (ofc not paid well but at least secure and she has a good reputation for future stuff).

The more "vague" your field is, the more you need to think outside of the box. Many people however cannot do that, hence the bad reputation of these fields.

>Is accounting a good degree to get?

Yes. Management accounting as well as financial accounting is heavily overaged nowadays and atm the graduates cannot fill every position that is leaving the market.

And what about diploma or AA in accounting?

Same.
However the career perspective is not as good as it would be if you get a higher qualification. You might need to prove yourself a bit more to get in higher positions, but the jobs in this field are quite save.

Remove Biology, its one of the worst science degrees to get a BS in in terms of job prospects. Its a stepping stone to med school, etc

Realy?
Admitted, I only know a hand full of biology graduates, but all of them are doing quite well.

You know that not everybody lives in downtown New York and pays €1500 a month for a broom closet, right?
I mean, out of those things you mentioned the only big one would be rent, and here a bedroom, kitchen and living room apartment is like €400 a month
Add like €60 for food, around €150 in utilities, and almost nothing for the car since you shouldn't be retarded and buy it on some 30 years plan, and you still have thousands for yourself.

30k a year is really good for most people, it's not like your own being shit at handling money means everyone needs six figures to live like a hobo

>€60 for food
Wuuut

I don't know how Americans shop and what 'types' of store you have, but I think every country has "discount" stores where nothing is a brand name, everything is cheap, and you can stock on things like giant sacks of rice/pasta, veggies and literally anything for pennies.

People are used to just shopping at the closest mart to them, not realizing that they're getting scammed of 4x times the money they could be spending, just because that packet of crisps they bought has a more colorful logo.

>Wuuut
Well possible with unconventional methods like dumpster diving, food sharing etc. - more easy, when you have another person you can do it with (e.g. girlfriend).

You don't know shit Eurofag. Just to go to an AVERAGE university in the US if you live in the same state is 10-15k a year. A good one at the cheapest is 30k a year. Most people go for 4 years. Do the math. It doesn't matter where you live, college is expensive everywhere and cost of living even in the middle of nowhere in the US is still not enough to pay back student loans. You need to get a full ride in scholarships and grants to afford it if you don't have rich parents.
Many have to move for their jobs into more expensive areas which offsets any bigger paycheck that could help pay the loans off.

>if you live in the same state is 10-15k a year. A good one at the cheapest is 30k a year
These prices are for international students. In-state tutition often ranges from 5k to 9k a year.

I'm not saying that college is cheap, I mean, it's been a recurring meme since forever that everything that's free for the public is somehow a heavily priced commodity in America.
I'm just saying that peoploe heavily exagerate some of their expenses because they have no idea about what "normal" is, most notably food. I've seen people claim that $200 a month for food was a shoestring budget, while I could be eating fucking filet mignon at every meal for that amount.

Also, what the fuck does
>Many have to move for their jobs into more expensive areas which offsets any bigger paycheck that could help pay the loans off.
mean?

If the offset in living expenses is bigger than the change in paycheck then why the fuck would you change jobs and living situation to make less money?

No it doesn't. It used to when I went to college though.

I attended this university which is okay, but not amazing. It's not Purdue or IU but it's fine for certain majors:

cms.bsu.edu/admissions/tuition-and-fees

Look at the price for Indiana residents. Room and board adds a lot to it and often the university will actually force you to live there for your first year. That happened to me, even though I only lived 30 minutes away. All those fees are also a pain too, some universities are even worse with this. Want to finish college faster and take more classes? You pay a premium on top of that. If you fail a class you lose your money. Yep, it's a complete shit show.

You move not just for money but for opportunities elsewhere. Trust me, you don't want to be stuck in cornfield country where I used to be even though it costs almost nothing to live there. Indianapolis is more expensive but still reasonable. The issue is some industries can be booming in entirely different states which could have higher taxes and costs of living that will eat up a lot of your bigger paycheck. And it's still better to at least have a job in your field even if after expenses you earn a little less.

I fucking told you guys lmao. No matter if you commute, use the gym, or labs or don't you still pay the fees. A lot
of colleges do this and CHARGE MORE. My university is actually one of the cheaper ones.