English on Norman occupation

>English on Norman occupation
>F-fucking French, I-I mean Normans! The French never ruled over us and English and Norman cultures were kept separated a-anyway. W-we didn't lose to the French or anything...

>English on Roman occupation
>WE WUZ ROMANZ N SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEET

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollo#Descendants
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What did he mean by this?

Anglos on Anglo-Saxon invasion
>YEAH MAN, WEZ FULL GERMUHNIC BLOOD, FUCK THE CELT NIGGERS

>norman conquest
>roman occupation

theres your difference frogposter

I may be wrong since I saw it a long time ago, but I seem to remember a study that said that at the time of the invasion, the Normans had only a small amount of scandinavian genes left, the viking population had already almost dilluted itself in the gene pool. But dont quote me on this, I cant find the source material, and it may also be a bullshit one.

>I can't read

that's a shame, you should learn

GOTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEM

i think norman still got some norse loan words

*rapes you*
What now big boi?

>norman language
Not really a thing, more of a French dialect.

>implying the French/English of yestercentury are the same as the ones from today

This bullshit is getting way too retarded.

the norman conquest by billy the shit disturber brought some pretty gud pros
>a legal system that with a fiscal incentive which led to a much more broad and universal application of the law
>that combined with unbiased travelling judges of the court using locals as jurors/witnesses led to the island having a far better legal system than most of the continent
there was also more of a direct control of the entire empire under william which gave barons less freedom to blatantly ignore laws and common decency for personal gain, and less power for the barons to usurp there king, which brought a lot more stability to the island
tl;dr william and the normies was good for the british isles and dont let anyone tell you otherwise

if i remember correctly, cromwell was the victor of a civil war, and held a dictatorial role without monarchical/divine rule, and ended up abdicating the throne because him being a king of england would kinda be a slap in the face to his rebellion's cause or something

No it's because his man, cournel pride, said he would shoot Cromwell if he took the throne. Also he was Protestant so thought god spoke through battle and the civil war was just the death of monarchy
Honestly just watch Starkey

>The Parliament and Cromwell's army won, executed the King, and set up a republic or Commonwealth. Army and politicians then quarreled, and Cromwell took dictatorial control as Lord Protector. He would have become king, but that republican feeling in the army disapproved" - Great Britain and the Empire, A Decursive History by James A. Williamson
I guess the nature of the rebellion wouldn't have just allowed the leader of a republican army just call dibs on divine rule kek

>divine rule
Not just the army, but the politicians who had financed the war, as that's why they fought Charles who thought God had chosen him to rule, NOT parliament

And stop being like Reddit and quoting historians, just copypaste Wikipedia then put meme chevrons in so we know it's legit.

By 1066, Normans were pretty much French, both culturally and genetically

William was born after 8 generations of interbreeding with the locals
So given that Rollo's son (first generation after arrival) was already 50% French through his mom, I let you imagine the amount of French admixture William had seven generations later...

>normans are french
You know the French themselves don't call thenselves French but their various regions, unlike the English

>rollo was his great grandfather
>8 generations

it's the book ive been reading the past week, it's a good source, why shouldn't i source it?

>>rollo was his great grandfather

That's wrong, utter retard

>Rollo is the great-great-great-great-grandfather of William the Conqueror

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollo#Descendants

He's just memeing senpai

I was being sarcastic, thanks for actually using a historian and not just what family tale you have