Just read Gilgamesh for the first time, was the first written account in human history really about gay dudes in love?

Just read Gilgamesh for the first time, was the first written account in human history really about gay dudes in love?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NsF8WPwY23k&t=1910s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It wasn't just about two guys being in love, but two guys being in love after one of them is sent by the Gods to stop the other from cucking his people up.

That's right. Gilgamesh is a story about a Gay bull who doesn't want to embrace his mortality.

No
If they were gay they would have written about there sexual encounters(the story didn't shy away from sex as a major plot point was enkidu fucking a head priestest for some god i can't remeber)

Well Gilgamesh just went around raping literally everyone he saw whenever he wanted, and then Enkidu shows up and tries to stop him from doing the raping. They fight so hard that they destroy the doorframe of the front door to the potential rapee's home.

So I guess I can see your point, Gilgamesh sounds like a pretty big asshole desu senpai

I know it's the English translation and the original tablets aren't completely legible, but it says he loved Enkidu as he would love a woman.

Shamhat, sacred prostitute of Ishtar (presumably).
I don't remember that but I read it a while ago -- which translation, and do you have the full quote?

Enkidu was seduced/domesticated by a temple prostitute.

>shamhat
this, literally fugged for 6 days and nights in order to civilise him, or at least entice him to leave the wild.

Saw an interesting lecture saying it was originally a separate myth and shamhat was an avatar of ishtar/innana. So technically speaking, if gilgamesh accepted ishtar's proposal he would have been cucked by his bff.

It's apparently the N.K. Sanders translation.
I actually listened to it on tape while I was grouting at work today.
youtube.com/watch?v=NsF8WPwY23k&t=1910s

pfft goddess sex is for faggots

true men go on long walks with other true men
That's outdated as fuck dude. Andrew George's translation is the best right now, and there are other modern ones too.

I can't find anything online that matches the text, so I'm guessing what I listened to wasn't the N.K. Sanders translation. It was read aloud by Richard Pasco but I can't figure out what translation it is exactly.

Did something more get discovered about cuneiform/the tablets recently or something? I can't see how it would be out of date otherwise.

matches the audio*

>Did something more get discovered about cuneiform/the tablets recently
Yes

A fuckload

We're discovering more and more tablets all the time, meaning we're getting a lot more of the story AND our translations are getting much better.

Neat, is the story changed in a meaningful way by the new info or is it largely the same? I looked on sparknotes and it seems like there's nothing I'm unaware of.

I dunno, I've only read the modern stuff. I'd assume it'd change definitions of words (which even in modern translations varies -- Uruk's wall as a strand of wool vs. band of bronze, for example) which would be pretty important to this specific thing.

>andrew george's version
phew, just checked my copy and it's the one I got. Got worried I cucked myself by buying a shit-tier translation.

He did something for Penguin so for once their translation isn't fucked.

yeah that's literally the one I got.Thanks for the heads up though, I'll keep an eye out for that specific name if there ever is a new (substantial) version released.

>yeah that's literally the one I got
Well yeah I didn't expect you to get the two-volume £400 one (which you can pirate as a shitty PDF).

Honestly there'll probably be someone else who does the whole "look at every single tablet and translate it painstakingly myself" thing.

>two-volume £400 one
>£400
Nigga you shitting me? Why is it so expensive? Has it got like multiple versions + a shitton of addendums? Wtf?

Shit I dunno. I glanced over the PDF and it's scholarly n shiiiet and it's got a lot of pictures of the tablets so I'm guessing it's just a supply-and-demand thing.

Oh wait do you mean multiple versions of the Epic? Yeah that's pretty much what it is, plus loads of commentary.

Enkidu was androgynous. It's the story of a man's love for a piece of mud that took on the form of a prostitute (male)

Male friendship and bonding doesn't necessarily mean homosexuality