What does Veeky Forums know about the Armenian Genocide?

All I read was from Wikipedia, anyone has some insights on that stuff?

Pic unrelated

Armenians broke the NAP, they had it coming.

could you elaborate?

Two interesting takeaways.

1) It was so awful that it prompted the creation of the term "genocide".

2) The genocide inspired Hitler to commit the Holocaust. He basically stated that "if the Turks can get away with it, then surely we can".

This is just going to devolve into Enverposting.

But in a more serious light I have excerpts from Morgenthau's (American ambassador) autobiography where he talks about his discussions of the genocide with the Three Pashas. Could post some if you want. It adds authenticity/flavor to the dry events.

>tfw no one knows about the Greek and Assyrian genocides

>tfw no one knows about the Circassian genocide

More ethnic cleansing than genocide in the Greeks' case.

Please do

Fuck off with your bandwagon hopping, you did the same thing to Turks in Greece during WWI

Alright, here's some, concerning his conversations with Enver:

>"Of course I know that the Cabinet would never order such terrible things as have taken place," I said. "You and Talaat and the rest of the Committee can hardly be held responsible. Undoubtedly your subordinates have gone much further than you have ever intended. I realize that it is not always easy to control your underlings."
Enver straightened up at once. I saw that my remarks, far from smoothing the way to a quiet and friendly discussion, had greatly offended him. I had intimated that things could happen in Turkey for which he and his associates were not responsible.
>"You are greatly mistaken," he said. "We have this country absolutely under our control. I have no desire to shift the blame on to our underlings and I am entirely willing to accept the responsibility myself for everything that has taken place. The Cabinet itself has ordered the deportations. I am convinced that we are completely justified in doing this owing to the hostile attitude of the Armenians toward the Ottoman Government, but we are the real rulers of Turkey, and no underling would dare proceed in a matter of this kind without our orders."

>One day I received word from the American Consul at Smyrna that seven Armenians had been sentenced to be hanged. These men had been accused of committing some rather vague political offense in 1909; yet neither Rahmi Bey, the Governor General of Smyrna, nor the Military Commander believed that they were guilty. When the order for execution reached Smyrna these authorities wired Constantinople that under the Ottoman law the accused had the right to appeal for clemency to the Sultan. The answer which was returned to this communication well illustrated the extent to which the rights of the Armenians were regarded at that time:

>"Technically, you are right; hang them first and send the petition for pardon afterward."

cont.

>I visited Enver in the interest of these men on Bairam, which is the greatest Mohammedan religious festival; it is the day that succeeds Ramadan, their month of fasting. Bairam has one feature in common with Christmas, for on that day it is customary for Mohammedans to exchange small presents, usually sweets. So after the usual remarks of felicitation, I said to Enver:
>"To-day is Bairam. and you haven't sent me any present yet." Enver laughed.
>"What do you want? Shall I send you a box of candies?
>"Oh, no," I answered, "I am not so cheap as that. I want the pardon of the seven Armenians whom the court-martial has condemned at Smyrna."
>The proposition apparently struck Enver as very amusing.
>"That's a funny way of asking for a pardon," he said. "However, since you put it that way, I can't refuse."
>He immediately sent for his aide and telegraphed to Smyrna, setting the men free.

From Talaat:
>“It is no use for you to argue...we have already disposed of three-quarters of the Armenians; there are none at all left in Bitlis, Van, and Erzeroum. The hatred between the Turks and the Armenians is now so intense that we have got to finish with them. If we don’t, they will plan their revenge.”

Back to Enver:
>"We don't want the Americans to feed the Armenians," he flatly replied. "That is one of the worst things that could happen to them. I have already said that it is their belief that they have friends in other countries which leads them to oppose the Government and so brings down upon them all their miseries. If you Americans begin to distribute food and clothing among them, they will. then think that they have powerful friends in the United States. This will encourage them to rebellion again and then we shall have to punish them still more. If you will give such money as you have received to the Turks, we shall see that it is used for the benefit of the Armenians."

I only acknowledge genocides that the executive branch of my government has recognized as genocides

cont.

>Enver made this proposal with a straight face, and he made it not only on this occasion but on several others... not only were they robbing them of all their food and all their money, but they were even stripping women of their shreds of clothing and prodding their naked bodies with bayonets as they staggered across the burning desert. And the Minister of War now proposed that we give our American money to these same guardians of the law for distribution among their charges! However, I had to be tactful.
>"If you or other heads of the Government would become personally responsible for the distribution," I said, "of course we would be glad to entrust the money to you. But naturally you would not expect us to give this money to the men who have been killing the Armenians and outraging their women."
>But Enver returned to his main point. "They must never know," he said, "that they have a friend in the United States. That would absolutely ruin them! It is far better that they starve, and in saying this I am really thinking of the welfare of the Armenians themselves. If they can only be convinced that they have no friends in other countries, then they will settle down, recognize that Turkey is their only refuge, and become quiet citizens. Your country is doing them no kindness by constantly showing your sympathy. You are merely drawing upon them greater hardships."

From Enver's associate Halil Bey:
>"It is the opinion of Enver Pasha," he replied, "that no foreigners should help the Armenians. I do not say that his reasons are right or wrong. I merely give them to you as they are. Enver says that the Armenians are idealists, and that the moment foreigners approach and help them, they will be encouraged in their national aspirations."
>"Is this Enver's way of stopping any further action on their part? " I asked.
>Halil smiled most good-naturedly at this somewhat pointed question and answered: "The Armenians have no further means of action whatsoever!"

The person who created the term genocide also used it events, it wasn't just Armenians.

Thanks brah

1977 Moscow bombings.
Sakharov said that the KGB fabricated the terrorist act for the sake of repressions against the Armenian people (terrorist were Armenians)

>that cuck Wilson insisted on the punishment of Germany and Austria but let the most evil Central Power get away with it
Why does this timeline have to suck so much?

It was made up *clap emoji*

Gib details

Didn't see that you'd already posted. Thank you.

Why are some people here so obsessed with Germany?

Germany got off essentially scot free for starting the whole war. Meanwhile the Ottoman Empire got dissolved. And 1/4 of Turkey's population died. And the Europoors tried to steal most of the remaining viable land they were left with, including the city that had been under Turkish rule for 600 years and the location of the only relevant industry in the former empire. They got by far the roughest handling of any country involved in the war.

That we dont give the Kurds enough shit for it; they go completely unnoticed when they heavily assisted the Turks in its execution.